No announcement yet.

Italian Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup ... agree 100 percent and, this break was a huge bonus for his training and health - a major gift.

Comment

For that matter, I also think his winning 12 of the last 14 FO's the single best achievement in all of sports. Micheal Jordon probably would not agree ha.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        For that matter, I also think his winning 12 of the last 14 FO's the single best achievement in all of sports. Micheal Jordon probably would not agree ha.
        No one may have the level of longevity of elite peak performance as the big three - Nadal, Federer and Novak are coming in at a perfect time now. They aren't getting belted, hit, punched - either - so theoretically I think they will go longer that Favre, Nolan Ryan, Abdul-Jabbar, Stockton ETC ...

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post

A lucky 1/2 for the kid - Stan is old enough to be his daddy, he's had a long time off and he's slowed down a ton in the corona-lockdown - guys old - 35 or 36, and his body is 50 years old. Beaten up big time - but still pounding away. The knee injury - miracle he is still playing - guys got a higher level of commitment than his skeptics say because that is tough to come back from and play at form when you are never comfortable and always in pain. His knee is a mess - would not want to be him taking the needle before each match, icing and therapy/physio all day. The work he has to do to get ready to play must be insane at this stage of the game. The second guy he played Kei was out of match shape, coming off corona, elbow surgery, out of rhythm, rehabbing an injury and not even close to his best. Musetti slowed down a lot in match #2 - he's got happy feet and I think in #3 he comes down to earth and we see the true level of his ability. Did you notice how every time Kei came to the net this kid has no answer? Obviously Kei was not in mental game shape to think through every point - and dictate. Lucky draw - played 2 guys that are hoping to peak for later down the line - if ever. Lots of miles on those two guys. He does hit a wonderful ball when he has time/space - but let's see what he does against real big league talent that is primed to go. In baseball they farm injured old men out to the farm team to rehab - and, this kid basically played two guys at 50% percent that are rehabbing and getting timing down. Everyone is a star in the minors - but major league ball is a whole different story. Can't say I am impressed with his instincts, his happy feet really concern me and his movement was down a level in match 2. I do like his flexibility and range of motion on the serve - and, it's organic and naturally occurring which is interesting. But he ain't no Yannick Noah and the two young Canadian/Russian kids are all better players.
          Boy - I sure called that one - this kid is what I figured he was - soft. Bad technique ... and, his athletic training people are just horrible. He will break down on the tour quickly if they don't get their heads out of their asses. I'd have fired that whole staff after this game #3.
          Last edited by hockeyscout; 09-19-2020, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Berenttini goes down in 3 to Ruud. A bit of a disappointment for him, but he simply could not outhit Ruud. Grigor down 1 set and is not the favorite vs Shapovalov. Novak looked pretty good in his win in 3. Nadal coming up on tap probably for another beatdown vs Schwartzman.

Comment

Denis takes Grigor in 3 looking very good. Most surprisingly, Diego is up on Rafa 5-2 in 1st set and looking very comfortable in doing so. Nadal's shots thus far are being routined by Diego. We will see.

Comment

Outstanding first set by Schwartzman. What a ball-striker he is. Well, at 5'7'' I guess you have to be. Not sure he can keep it up but you never know. Rafa has the much heavier game if Schwartzman takes his foot off the pedal even a fraction. Good to see Rafa challenged a bit on clay.
                Stotty

Comment

Well that was as big as of an upset as one is ever going to see, Diego over Rafa in 2. Two observations, Diego dealt with the Nadal forehand as if it was a typical professional forehand, and he clearly moved way better. On a completely unrelated side note, Diego has a very pretty girlfriend. And she did not give anyone the 1 finger salute at the end.

Comment

Great performance from Schwartzman. He red-lined it yet remained consistent also. A unusually poor day for Rafa...served badly and missed more than usual on his forehand. Think it will be different at the FO however.
                    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                      Great performance from Schwartzman. He red-lined it yet remained consistent also. A unusually poor day for Rafa...served badly and missed more than usual on his forehand. Think it will be different at the FO however.
                      Complete tank job by Rafa - it is a good decision, long time off, play hard hard two games and then pack it up in #3. I would not read a lot into Gregor's loss either, or Kei's or Stan's. The most difficult thing to do with athletes is peaking them for an event - no sense at 35 blowing your wad over an Italy tournament. You want to build, and not come to a peak - pure veteran move here by Nadal. He did what he needed in the two matches - and that was more than enough to prep him and get him in tune mentally and see his program is working. Impressive start to the year for an old guy. The big boys are all on cruise control right now. Confidence - its real important in sports development - and sometimes you have to have the balls to train less to do more - and, tank in the 3rd round or not play the big number of games/tournament everyone else is - I read somewhere a guy played 11 matches in 20 days - and that IMO is absolute insanity. I am not sure how these guys do it, but I do a screening with every athlete I have each day - and quite often they are not cleared to even practice, and we will change the plan right there on the spot and put them in zorb ball, pool, small muscle work, etc. Chances are Nadal did not clear his FMS, and screening (Nadal) and his people told him no more than 60% today. The older you get - the smarter you become in recovery management and loading.
                      Last edited by hockeyscout; 09-19-2020, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Novak clinical in 2 set win over Ruud. Denis and Diego coming up later. It will be interesting to see if Diego can maintain anywhere close to the level he did vs Rafa. I agree Nadal still favorite at FO but he looked more vulnerable yesterday on clay than I have ever seen him look. Diego was clearly much quicker and for whatever reason, the Nadal forehand was not at all the biggest weapon on the clay as it almost always has been.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                          Novak clinical in 2 set win over Ruud. Denis and Diego coming up later. It will be interesting to see if Diego can maintain anywhere close to the level he did vs Rafa. I agree Nadal still favorite at FO but he looked more vulnerable yesterday on clay than I have ever seen him look. Diego was clearly much quicker and for whatever reason, the Nadal forehand was not at all the biggest weapon on the clay as it almost always has been.
                          Rafa kind of let that match go for me. He wasn't as intense as usual.

Novak is looking pretty good. One thing Novak and Roger do so incredibly well is shut the door firm shut when an opponent is on the brink of an opportunity. Let's hope Schwartzman can repeat the performance he gave against Rafa...doubtful but you never know.
                          Stotty

Comment

Diego has had 2 very physical matches. Nadal was a very physical match for him, and yesterday vs Denis was about as physical as a 3 set match can ever be. Novak of course is looking very well rested.

Comment

Novak does the business to put himself with the most ATP 1000 wins. No doubt he will want to add to that tally.

The FO could be interesting....
                              Stotty

Comment

Big Time Wrestling...Professional Tennis 2020

Isn't it time that someone MTGA...Makes Tennis Great Again? Or is it too late?

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
                                A filmed battle of giants exhibiting racket skill and guile, with steely determination for victory, but cloaked in genteel regard for each other and for the game. A game of life played out in front of fan behavior that required that they respect and understand that what they were witnessing was bigger than tennis. They were witnessing the end of an era represented by human examples of the best ideals of Western colonialism. We all know the shortcomings of elitism and Western colonialism, but if sport reflects society, we seem to be aspiring to reach “regression to the mean of baser instincts”.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ucA95M8kZHw

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                                The Quote of the Thread...As Life Metaphors Tennis (The Reciprocal Properties)

Thank you for your thoughtful post doctorhl...Hans. The words glow like the white light of inspiration. The whiteness of the tennis balls and the players clothes. Their impeccable manners that were the rule rather than the exception. Strictly enforced by the spirit of Harry Hopman who lived on in these two beautiful sportsman long after their mentor and coach was out of the picture in their reality on a daily basis. They simply marched on. Inspired. Harry Hopman...the coach of don_budge's tennis teaching paradigm. "William Tilden II is the book. Richard Gonzales is the model with the Don Budge backhand. Harry Hopman is the coach. Roger Federer is "The Living Proof". Warning...Roger's career is in its waning moments.

The human race (as is tennis) is devolving. It has been for some time. Artificial Intelligence has accomplished in destroying in 36 years what it took nature thousands of years to build. Yes...it's true that it is the one that adapts the best that survives. Not necessarily the strongest or the most intelligent. But the ones that will adapt to what is going on now will only lead to a single catastrophic event. Talk about the evils of Western civilization. I prefer to think of the ideals. How does God think? Dream about it even. But it is dead. At least it is on life support. What are the chances of resuscitating the patient? Tennis? Life? What are we talking about here? Tennis for sure is dying. Gasping for breath. Sorry folks...this tournament was a watershed moment. It's all over except the crying.

Modern tennis...modern life. The problems are too complicated to have any viable solution. Applying bandaids to stop the haemorrhaging. Somebody call 911. What...they are busy? Putting out the fires.

If Rafael "The Skunk" Nadal did indeed tank his match with Diego Schartzman then professional tennis has hit an all time low. Even if he didn't...all time low. Without Roger Federer in the house this game resembles more and more "Big Time Wrestling". Nadal avoiding a match with Novak Djokovic? That was the only match of any interest whatsoever. What is keeping this joke of a tour viable? This game has devolved. This sport has devolved.
                                don_budge
                                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2908 users online. 4 members and 2904 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X