No announcement yet.

Roland Garros, Paris 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It's a show about nothing"...George Costanza (Jerry Seinfeld Show)

It's a show about nothing. The 2020 French Open at Roland Garros. First of all the tournament is sans Roger Federer and there hasn't been a tennis tournament that is a tournament without Roger Federer in the ten plus years that I have been participating on this forum. For years I started threads of any tournament that Roger was playing in because rest assured any tournament that was graced by his presence was by definition a tournament. I'm afraid to inform you...this is fake tennis. It's a tournament about nothing. There will be only one brief moment of redemption if there is to any at all and that would be a Novak Djokovic versus Rafael Nadal final in which Djokovic prevails. Otherwise...this ship has sunk.

You can just tell by so many of the matches that are or have been played where you don't recognise one of the players or either of them. Djokovic vs. Galan in the round of sixteen? Never even heard of Galan. Cristian Garin versus Karen Khachanov? Never heard of Garin until a couple of weeks ago when I spotted him at the Italian Open. Daniel Altmaier and Matteo Berrettini? Never heard of Altmaier and worse yet the camera work at this Open is so shoddy it was hard to get a look at his serve motion because each and every serve was taken in three parts...from different angles. What crap. It's a fake tournament. Fake tennis.

It goes on and on. While normally play in the first four rounds is generally referred to as foreplay these days, now the foreplay extends into the later rounds...all of the way to the finals it seems. While watching over the Siberian Huskies for the past week I have caught bits and pieces of many a match and not one actually got my interest. No better example that Dominic Thiem and another unknown to me...the little French boy. Real slop if you ask me. No amount of clever by the French fellow would have induced me to sit through this snooze fest. Roger would never let that happen. I don't think I ever saw him participate in a snooze fest. Never. He had some bad losses but the interesting thing about Roger is even if he is playing his absolute worst he is worth watching. Watching him in defeat one can still take something away from the time spent watching. The same cannot be said for anything I have seen so far.

Snooze fest after snooze fest. How about Jannik Sinner against Alexander Zverev? Nope...just more slop. Sinner is one of the "Next Gen" stars that the ATP will have you believe that is going to take this game over in the near future. If that is so...the writing is on the wall. It is unwatchable. I watched a bit of Sebastian Korda versus the evil Fafa Nadal and the only thing I can say is he had some good ideas but he didn't have the wherewithal to make it happen. He didn't have the balls. Nadal just bullied him around the court much as he does the rest of the crew...those poor ball kids. So there is just one match left.

Stefanos Tsitsipas versus Grigor Dimitrov. Two splendid backhands. One handed ala Roger Federer. Grigor having shed his "Baby Fed" moniker. Maybe he should have clung to it. No sooner did he shed it he went straight in to the mulch pile of marginal tennis professionals...of which there is certainly no shortage of these days. The French Open is traditionally the most boring of all the majors. Best of five sets of snooze fests. I happened to be in Paris a few years ago and went to Roland Garros one day...it was a very, very expensive day by the way. My coffee tab was big that day...five or six cup of the strong French brew just trying to stay alive to see what was going on. I remember Novak Djokovic versus Milos Raonic...like watching paint dry. Like watching grass grow. I cannot blame the Husky girls. But I am getting an eyeful here and only because of this thing has me somewhat captive. You guys haven't watched a single match start to finish...play a hunch win a bunch. I'd bet on it. This is the post Roger Federer age of tennis that I have been warning of for several years now.

Strange days. Strange days indeed. A Grand Slam tennis tournament about nothing and nobodies. Just look at the draw sheet. Every picture tells a story...doesn't it.

"Paris was a place you could hide away, if you felt you didn't fit in
    French police wouldn't give me no peace, they claimed I was a nasty person
    Down along the left bank, minding my own
    Was knocked down by a human stampede
    Got arrested for inciting a peaceful riot, when all I wanted was a cup of tea
    I was accused...I moved on."

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

As George might say, "I am going to do the opposite of every decision I have ever made in my life". I have a feeling if anyone is going to win this tournament other than the 2, that is the kind of epiphany it is going to take. Stotty alluded to one time these 3 have already completely annihilated one generation, and for all intensive purposes have done the same thing to this nextgen one. It is the first time ever. From Laver to Connors to Borg, McEnroe, Lendl, Sampras(and his Pippen, Agassi) to Fed(and Novak and Rafael), the players got better. but the buck stops here. The upcoming group of players are simply not as good as the 3.

Comment

Talented little player that Gaston. Lovely hands and feel...made Thiem look a right Charlie at times. You wouldn't think that kind of game was possible in the current age of power tennis but Gaston managed to restore my faith that finesse is still possible.

Sinner showed amazing temperament and plays matches like it's just a matter of plug and play. One senses it my be the end for the Sinner in the next round as Rafa is in no the mood for an upstart getting in the way of his plans. History is at stake...with a capital H. Rafa is looking at his bullying best so far but as yet he hasn't been challenged...not really.

I still think Novak is the best player in the tournament and it is going to take a good performance from someone to derail him. Khachanov has a big game and did duff up Novak once before...so you never know.

Stotty

Comment

Novak not quite as clinical today but still up 2 sets. Even though the oddmakers have Novak and Rafael as virtual co-favorites, I would be more surprised if Rafa did not reach the finals of the 2 of them.

Comment

Novak wins easily despite literally just pottering about at times. Stephanos did the business against Dimitrov. I am enjoying watching Stefanos more than anyone at the moment. Tough to see Rafa or Novak tripping up along the way at this point but, as we all know, tennis can be a funny game.
            Stotty

Comment

Rafael vs Sinner definitely the match of the day. One thing I do know, if Rafael was 19 again a la 2005, Sinner would have even less of a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                Rafael vs Sinner definitely the match of the day. One thing I do know, if Rafael was 19 again a la 2005, Sinner would have even less of a chance.
                Just love that name...Sinner.
                Stotty

Comment

Match of the Day...French Open Quarterfinals 2020

Match of the day? Pick between the lesser of two snooze fests. I will be willing to bet that there is nobody on the planet watching either of these two matches from start to finish. I started out on the couch with the two rehabilitating Siberian Huskies snoozing on the chair next to the couch and on the floor at my feet. A couple of brave patients. Saja and Bowie. So as they continue to snooze I write about the lesser of two snooze fests.

Jannik Sinner and Fafa Nadal is virtually a foregone conclusion. Whatever you say about Sinner he is boring. On the court and off. I watched his post match interview with Barbara "Horsey Face" Schett and he nearly put me in a coma. His match with Alexander Zverev was equally uninteresting or at least the portions that I saw of it were. Nothing of interest here. Young Sinner did say in the interview that he is working on a net game but the approach game is the thing that is the most complicated piece of the puzzle. Sure you want to play the net but how the hell do I get there. Good observations Kid. See you in another ten years and I wonder if he will get the gist of it. My gut tells me no. He plays the junior game like 99% of the rest of professional tennis. Same game...just different size of clothes.

Diego Schwarzman (Black Man in German) and Dominic Thiem has a bit more appeal to it on the basis of their history and their respective performances at this tournament. Schwartzman has won all of his matches in straight sets and has a somewhat dubious win over Fafa in the lead up tourney to this one. Dominic owns a 6-2 advantage over Diego in their head to head matchup. Thiem had a rough going with his last match with the touchy feely player from France but trust me...Diego will not be trying to out elegant Thiem here. Pound for pound Schwartzman is one of the toughest outs in professional tennis. My wife noted that she is just a centimetre shorter than Diego is. You won't find her chasing it down corner to corner like this little Pit Bull from Buenos Aires.

The match of the quarterfinals will be Stefanos Tsitsipas versus Andrey Rublev. Tsitsipas has it within his power to save this tournament...but it unlikely. Rublev for his part reminds me a bit of Mick Jagger.

don_budge

Comment

Match of the Day...French Open Quarterfinals 2020 (cont.)

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                    "It's a show about nothing"...George Costanza (Jerry Seinfeld Show)
                    Not exactly a mesmerising affair. Schwartzman attempts to serve out the third set and...I don't know. I walked away again. But the match is deserving of "Match of the Day" status if only because it determines who will be the fodder for Nadal next. Theim is not looking overly impressive and I am not sure if lighting can strike twice where Schwartzman is concerned with Nadal. I was curious about the tennis balls and I see that they are Wilson balls this year.

As it turns out the French Open has a brand new five year deal with Wilson to use their tennis balls. Before this it was Babalot for eight years and before that it was my favorite ball...Technifibre.

don_budge

Comment

Diego reminds me of the pit bull, David Ferrer, and that is a big compliment.

Comment

Diego reminds me of the pit bull, David Ferrer, and that is a big compliment.
                        Diego's backhand really reminds me of Aaron Krickstein's backhand. David Ferrer...aka the "EverReady Energizer Bunny". Somehow I like Diego more. Maybe because he is shorter. Some of arturohernandez's dead horse theories are in play here. He is really giving Dominic a good tussle. He served for the third set and failed. He just had three set points for the fourth on his serve and failed again. Thiem needs to finish him off and not get involved in a fifth. Save a little for Nadal.
                        don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                          Thiem needs to finish him off and not get involved in a fifth. Save a little for Nadal.
                          Well Thiem didn't listen to me...what's new? Now the ultimate test in sports...the dreaded fifth. It is like a fifteenth round in boxing that just keeps going on and on and on...and on. You would think that Thiem's status alone should propel him into the next round but I don't think Diego got the memo. He's got his teeth in this one and can he hold on against superior fire power. He has to summon his inner "Ferrer".

don_budge

Comment

He summoned. Thiem very surprisingly to me appeared to fade a bit. Diego seemed to just want it more in the 5th. Rafa says you don't win 12 FO's with that kind of attitude.
                            Last edited by stroke; 10-06-2020, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Thiem may be a bit too nice. He is certainly not a "psychopath"(ha) like the 3.

Oddmakers have Stef as 4/7 favorite over Rublev. Oddsmakers are giving Diego a bit of respect, Nadal is only 1/6 favorite. Novak of course a very strong favorite over PCB.

Novak and Rafael are both just about even money to win the tournament. Stef and Diego follow at 16/1.
                              Last edited by stroke; 10-07-2020, 03:55 AM.

Comment

You have to root for Stephanos today. He's the only shotmaker left in the tournament. Clay isn't a surface for the flamboyant...more the steady Eddie type. Nice to watch that Stephanos...my wife thinks so too...
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2565 users online. 6 members and 2559 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X