St. Petersburg, ATP 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Petersburg, ATP 500

Obviously the 3 not here. Tomorrow some interesting matches, Shapovalov vs Stan, Opelka vs Coric, and Khachanov vs Raonic. Opelka had a very good win today vs Medvedev. It looks to me Medvedev's game just has too many technical flaws to ever get to the very top of the game. His biggest attributes though are huge, movement, endurance, and consistency.

Denis had a very well played win over an engaged Stan. He plays Rublev tomorrow. Very interesting matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      Obviously the 3 not here. Tomorrow some interesting matches, Shapovalov vs Stan, Opelka vs Coric, and Khachanov vs Raonic. Opelka had a very good win today vs Medvedev. It looks to me Medvedev's game just has too many technical flaws to ever get to the very top of the game. His biggest attributes though are huge, movement, endurance, and consistency.
      It's down to the Big Two...at least for the foreseeable future. It isn't clear if Roger is going to make a meaningful comeback. At his age he has been out of competition for a long time and it's questionable whether he will be competitive with the Big Two or even the rest of the field. Supposedly he will be back for the Australian Open.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

It's down to the Big Two...at least for the foreseeable future. It isn't clear if Roger is going to make a meaningful comeback. At his age he has been out of competition for a long time and it's questionable whether he will be competitive with the Big Two or even the rest of the field. Supposedly he will be back for the Australian Open.
        I am thinking he may be able to make his last stand at Wimbledon next year. He is still technically like no other. But I do see that as his absolute last hurrah.

Comment

RBA v Hurkacz...7-6, 5-7...

Just watched a set's worth of RBA v Hurkacz. It's like watching paint dry. A dog was in the audience who the cameraman panned to frequently, each time the dog was fast asleep. To add insult to injury the owner had fallen asleep too. You realise watching that match it's about two guys earning a living...winning slams is not in the equation. It's hard work for RBA. No cheap points, just a slog. Still the money's great so he keeps toiling away.

Jimmy Connors beat Pernfors in five sets at Wimbledon one year after being 6-1 6-1 4-1 down. In the presser he was asked how he managed to work his way back into the match after being destroyed for two and half sets. He said: "It's my job. I have nothing else to do so I may have well stay out there and work out a way to win". That's not a bad way to look at things for a pro player.

I would be very surprised if Roger comes back a threat but I have written him off before only to have egg on my face. It would be great if he could come back and win Wimbledon next year. He should have won it last year to be frank. It was in the bag.

I won't watch the third set of RBA v Hurkacz...I'll end up like the dog.
          Stotty

Comment

Rublev and Denis just a slugfest. They play basically the same way. Rublev is favored, but I kind of like Denis here. Denis definitely has the better serve. I definitely like the ol serve bot over Coric in the other semi, but Coric played a very tidy match in his win over Opelka.

Comment

Well missed those 2 picks. I will make my finals prediction later ha. Both Denis and Milos ooked every bit top 5 players 1st set. To their credit, Rublev and Coric stayed strong and took the matches.
              Last edited by stroke; 10-17-2020, 02:37 PM.

Comment

My money is on FAA...
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                  My money is on FAA...
                  I am picking Rafa.

Comment

Sorry...cross wires...I am immersed in Cologne too at the moment where FAA beat RBA, and for a bloke of 20 that's no mean achievement. You have got to believe FAA and Sinner have a future even though we have said that before about other folk and not much happened

So, yes, FAA over Zverev in Cologne and Rublev (playing at home) over Coric in St Petersburg.
                    Stotty

Comment

Surprisingly to me, Alex is favored over FAA. I agree, FAA is just a better tennis player. Rublev is an even stronger favorite vs Coric. Rublev seems to me moving toward the top 5 very quickly. He seems to love his job and is a killer out there.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                        I see what you mean...

For me he's what you imagine Raskolnikov to look like...a character from a Dostoyevsky novel called Crime and Punishment.
                        Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7959 users online. 10 members and 7949 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X