Knowing Racket face angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing Racket face angles

Hey Don_Budge: My guess on this volley is that Budge knew racket face angles so well that he figured since he was stretched out on the opponent’s passing shot, his only chance was to switch from continental to a forehand grip to hit a heavily-angled crosscourt drop volley( unless he got stuck in a forehand grip). What say you( or anyone)? Pros of today don’t know or need to know racket angles like they used to I suppose because they don’t play doubles or come to the net in singles much any more.

Shop for tennis wall art from the world's greatest living artists and iconic brands. Tennis is one of the oldest sports still played today. French monks invented the game in the 12th century. Originally, they used gloved hands to hit the ball. Eventually, they added a handle to the glove, and the racket was born. Felt-covered rubber balls didn't come for a while; instead, early players used wood ones. Tennis artwork adds a touch of active elegance to casual and sporty spaces.

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
    Hey Don_Budge: My guess on this volley is that Budge knew racket face angles so well that he figured since he was stretched out on the opponent’s passing shot, his only chance was to switch from continental to a forehand grip to hit a heavily-angled crosscourt drop volley( unless he got stuck in a forehand grip). What say you( or anyone)? Pros of today don’t know or need to know racket angles like they used to I suppose because they don’t play doubles or come to the net in singles much any more.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...-pictures.html
    My first question is...why does he have two balls in his left hand? I think that you have pretty much narrowed down the possibilities. An extremely acute angled backhand volley with excessive under/side spin. Once upon a time...I was playing doubles with three of my older students. At the net in the deuce court with my partner serving I poached and was stretched something like this and pulled off the shot of a lifetime. I spun the ball with so much side spin and such an acute angle the ball spun back over the net about three meters to my left (I'm left handed).

Great photo. A shot of this nature is improvised with no thoughts of "how to"...you just do it. Your point about the players of today not in possession of the "doubles instinct" is another strike against the modern era. Beauty! Ole!
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

My first question is...why does he have two balls in his left hand? I think that you have pretty much narrowed down the possibilities. An extremely acute angled backhand volley with excessive under/side spin. Once upon a time...I was playing doubles with three of my older students. At the net in the deuce court with my partner serving I poached and was stretched something like this and pulled off the shot of a lifetime. I spun the ball with so much side spin and such an acute angle the ball spun back over the net about three meters to my left (I'm left handed).

Great photo. A shot of this nature is improvised with no thoughts of "how to"...you just do it. Your point about the players of today not in possession of the "doubles instinct" is another strike against the modern era. Beauty! Ole!
      It seems to be that today's game is built on hitting the same shot over and over again. Few have learned to hit different shots especially ones involving last minute adjustments. The funny thing is that the very top players do take on doubles at times to improve their games.

Shapo has been taking up doubles to get him out of his robopalov mode.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8972 users online. 7 members and 8965 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X