New Teaching Method: The Classic Slice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    I think if you look across the range of slice you'll see that grip is widespread. Stronger in my mind means more downward swing.
    Thanks for response. I have no doubt that many or most pros use a 2.5 grip for the slice backhand. However, if you use a grip that opens the strings upwards more (as a 2.5 grip will most definitely do) then you would and probably should naturally swing more downwards (compared to a 2 grip) in order to compensate for the open racquet face. Having a 2 grip will open the strings upwards less then a 2.5 grip which means the player will likely swing downwards less since the strings are not open towards the sky as much. This is why I am surprised that you recommended a grip that encourages a bit more of a downward swing. The more your strings are open at contact, the more you’ll swing downwards to compensate. Can we agree on that?
    Last edited by jeremy93; 01-03-2022, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Yes. If the forward extension and finish are good this range of grips all work.

Comment

Not sure if there any and Spanish speakers on the form but Rosewall goes through grips extensively in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awwYkj-Zmpw I don't speak or understand Spanish too well.

Rosewall's grip certainly looks on the strong side, which implies you can hit through the ball better with a stronger continental. I use a strong continental and if I try anything weaker the ball tends to float up a little. I guess it's more to do with what you get used to during your playing career. Micro adjusting your racket face slightly probably plays a role also.

I always look to the old timers for sliced backhands as they did it best.
        Stotty

Comment

I say go with it!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8770 users online. 7 members and 8763 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X