Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Statistics in Coaching Part 1

Let's discuss Andy Durham's article, "Using Statistics in Coaching Part 1"

A good overview article. The problem I have with statistics is appropriate application and emphasis. Television entertainment and gaming industry are two applications. Coaching is another. In coaching, the camps seem to be drawn into over or under emphasis in its usefulness as a coaching tool. It’s emphasis/usefulness is player sensitive. It takes an astute coach to analyze/ apply the statistics for varying individual psyches for maximum effectiveness. As technology improves and data points increase, coaches have to be careful.

Comment

Agreed. You have to know your player. But when you start to look at errors both forced and unforced versus winners versus the opponent you learn something. I used stats frequently coaching junior players. If they don't believe their backhand sucks an unforced error count is hard to argue with.

Comment

Seems cool. I like the idea of data collection as a means of showing the student where the errors and problems are coming from. It provides kind of indisputable evidence. What I like most is the idea of measuring changes made to a student's game by charting the stats before the change and after. I think measuring progress in a concrete way is an important part of coaching, for coach and student.

I will take a look at the app and probably give it a go. Ease of use is key. If it's easy to use I will certainly be up for it.
        Stotty

Comment

Ok let us know!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2937 users online. 6 members and 2931 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X