Masters 1000 Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stroke View Post
    Spot on Stotty. It will be interesting to see if Alex can hit through Medvedev. Hitting through him is probably next toughest ask after an interested Novak. Oddsmakers have it as a virtual pick 'em. I would go with Medvedev just because his defense is so good. That probably bodes well for Alex.
    Originally posted by klacr View Post
    Medvedev plays chess out there. You feel he's playing a different game. His tennis IQ is high, his strokes don't look pretty but they are sharp and effective. He has a casual intensity and plays better in the bigger moments. Will be a interesting match vs. Zverev.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA, PTR
    Delray Beach
    SETS Consulting
    "My tactic is to make my opponent suffer" - Medvedev

He makes opponents suffer all right. And like Klacr says, he has an excellent tennis IQ. It will be interesting in the final how Zverev handles that flat, hard ball coming into his forehand. It is typically low-bouncing and you would hazard a guess Zverev really won't like that. I think what goes most unnoticed about Medvedev is his phenomenal ball control. It's comparable to Connors, who could play hard and flat and hardly ever sprayed a ball more than an inch over the baseline.

Zverev did remarkably well against Rafa in some of their longer, gruelling rallies, and he will need to be at that same level against Medvedev. I think Medvedev really believes in himself much more than Zverev, though Zverev is showing signs of gradually maturing.
    Stotty

Comment

3-2...Zverev

Solid start from Zverev who is dictating play from the outset, which he needs to if he is to win. You feel Medvedev will find his groove as the match goes on. Both men serving with well with a high percentage of serves in...Medvedev has hit 6 aces already.
      Stotty

Comment

7-5...Zverev

Good first set from Zverev. His forehand is looking so much more secure the last handful of tournaments which is making a big difference. Zverev is in the driving seat right now and it's Medvedev who needs to find answers. He has still not found his 'sticky' best. God knows how he keeps that slappy forehand in...
        Stotty

Comment

Zverev and Medvedev are 6'5" or 6'6". Yet every point is a baseline rally. This is a sad state of affairs. Watching these big men (who, for their size are quite adept at moving) but with their long strokes and limbs it looks like two Albatrosses trying to take off.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA, PTR
          Delray Beach
          SETS Consulting

Comment

1 set each...not many trips to the net

If you are looking for net play, Klacr, you checked into the wrong final. It's baseline fest and nothing more. Medvedev has found his 'sticky' groove at last. Zverev needs to serve really well from here while more of the same from Medvedev will see him through.

A toilet break prior to the third set has somehow become mandatory these days.
            Stotty

Comment

3-0 up in the third

Medvedev has ground Zverev down and it's looking like there is no way back. My wife thinks Medvedev would play even better with a few more bowls of pasta in him...looks like he has just stepped out of a gulag she thinks.

Now 4-0...game over...time to walk the dog.
              Stotty

Comment

Medvedev has set a new standard as a 6'5,/6'6" defender. He definitely just broke Alex down in that regard. I do not think Alex will ever develop into a Dr. Feelgood type hands. It is just not there. You have that or you do not. That being said, he is still on of the best players in the world. It is funny that those 2 appear to be exactly the same height and weight. I think Medvedev would beat him in a 40 yard dash, but would beat him worse in a 200 or 400 meter dash.
                Last edited by stroke; 11-08-2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Yahoo Sport Australia: Uproar over Alexander Zverev's 'disgusting' act in runner-up speech.

Not a good look for Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                    Yahoo Sport Australia: Uproar over Alexander Zverev's 'disgusting' act in runner-up speech.

Not a good look for Alex.
                    Sasha seems like a pretty nice guy. Subject to fits of anger and outburst he cannot control on the tennis court. That is quite a different thing than the "ladies" in his life have alleged. Men are automatically on trial these days and the ex-girlfriends apparently decided to go public and air the dirty laundry for all to see. Out of spite? They could have an impact on the Zverev brand so to speak.

Without knowing any of the particulars. The dirty details. I have no problem cutting Alexander Zverev some slack here and give him his day in court and not the one of public opinion. Too much "Me Too" these days. I certainly don't condone improper behaviour on the battle field of love but the knife cuts both ways. He is a celebrity and he has a bullseye right in the middle of his back from more than one direction. There is a presumption of innocence until proven guilty. At least he professes to own up to the prospect of fatherhood. Albeit under very unfortunate circumstances. It's modern love after all. Like all of the rest of it. We see the drama being played out in the media. So often one sided. He decided he wanted to have a say in a matter that his "lady friends" have gone public with.

These are the modern rules. The game changes. Tennis metaphoring life. Ironic actually. It all drips with irony. It's a war on men...and on boys. Hell hath no fury as a woman scorned. I can tell you from personal experience that there is at least some truth to this. The female of the species is often the most dangerous. Particularly so when there is a child involved. Hopefully they get it to a manageable level. Boys and girls...the battle of the sexes will never be won. There is simply too much fraternisation with the enemy. Know what I mean?
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

If they can take out Johnny Depp, they can take out anyone.

You cannot say a thing these days with the MeToo movement lurking around. It's gone way over the top. Zverev is clearly feels persecuted and is trying to defend himself, albeit rather clumsily. Straight away up comes a kangaroo court that knows nothing about the facts or anything about Zverev's former girlfriend. She could be a vindictive head case for all we know. On the other hand Zverev could be as guilty as sin and the former girlfriend the nicest girl in the world.

Zverev needs a proper trial here. The thing is the MeToo movement is so powerful will the trial be a fair one?
                      Last edited by stotty; 11-09-2020, 04:44 AM.
                      Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2528 users online. 5 members and 2523 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X