Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Development: A New Approach

Joe,

Great article! I agree with your approach and see it everyday in my teaching: teach the fundamentals they will use as they grow up is key... the longer they use "transition" technique such as frying pan grips for serves (AND VOLLEYS which is so common) the more difficult it is to "fix it" later.

I come across so many kids who were either taught to hit with incorrect grips or not taught any grips at all. I also see kids hitting with 2-handed backhand volleys... if not fixed early on they will most probably never develop strong net games.

I think this is a result of several factors:
    1) poor instruction (instructors who simply do not know how to teach proper mechanics.
    2) instructors who place greater emphasis on immediate success (i.e. getting the ball over the net) rather than long-term benefits.
    3) to some extent... students who just don't catch on and/or gravitate to improper grips/technique.

Mitch

Junior Development

Joe,
    I've a few Junior Development ideas I'd like to run by you if you wouldn't mind. Private message me through the site if you get a chance.

Craig

Comment

Junior Development and command-style coaching

Craig or anyone else wanting to contact me, please email joe@oncourtoffcourt.com.

Regarding junior development, there is a limit to what can be covered in articles. So much is based on the individual needs, motivations, etc. of the student as well as the coach. Here's just one example. It's a bit of a touchy subject, but let me go out on a limb here.

Many coaches and teaching pros exclusively, or at least predominantly, use command style teaching. And, yes, I am also guilty of using a bit too much of this command style teaching (or parenting for that matter) over the years. Question: Does this "controlling" approach often cause us to fall into the rut of taking the "easier" path, i.e. teaching transition tennis?

You see, most junior tennis is taught in groups. And, in groups classes, it can be more challenging to work on quality-based technique, instead of just letting the "chips" (or grips) fall where they may. Command-style teaching is usually not subtle and explorative. Command-style involves communication in one direction, from the coach to the student, and not from student to coach.

My point is that since teaching advanced technique to beginning juniors from the start may require more patience from both student AND coach, command-style coaching may have to be adjusted. The opposite is cooperative two-way learning involving communications in both directions, with exploration, self-esteem building, and independent thinking as benchmarks along the journey.

Let's not forget that junior tennis can be an important vehicle to stay healthy, learn social and life skills, as well as build confidence. As coaches and parents, we need to do everything possible to introduce tennis to them in such a way that they do not plateau and ultimately quit playing because they get stuck with the wrong serving or volley grip.

For me, teaching advanced technique from the start is as much or more about keeping kids in the game, rather than worrying about creating the next World No. 1. Of course, it is also only natural that the more kids we help keep in the game, the more great or near-great players will be produced.

Comments appreciated.

Sincerely,

Joe Dinoffer

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2360 users online. 9 members and 2351 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X