update???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update???

Love this side but would love it more if you could upload more article and others slo mo video each 2 weeks like tennisone.com

That deserves a response! I'm glad you like the site but you can't compare Tennisone to us. Their content isn't close to the same level. If you notice, they add new articles every week--or they try, sometimes they don't seem to make their own deadlines. But the articles are increasingly brief and unsatisfying. They don't deal with complex stroke issues very frequently or very well, and with a few exceptions don't have much credibility among their alleged experts.

We are monthly and we are putting up a half dozen plus full length, substantial articles from the best coaches in tennis. I won't recite the names again. You can see them in every area of the site. The first issue currently up was a special bonus with over 20 new articles! I wonder if you've tackled them all??

Since you asked here's one more comparison. TennisONE just put up some footage of Federer's serve. They put up about 30 files total first and second serves. They are all filmed from one very limited view point, with horrible resolution and small windows. We have well over a hundred Federer serves focused on every aspect of the motion, filmed from multiple angles, with huge windows, greater clarity, and faster downloads, We also have his whole game with this same kind of depth, unlike TennisONE. Compare other players like Agassi or Roddick and you'll see the same thing. Some of their footage is 5 years old or more. They don't even have the real Roddick serve--the motion has evolved substantially since that footage was taken.

When it comes to super slow motion, again you can't compare--they have something like 5 forehands. Watch the one of Moya--he didn't even make the ball and stops in the middle of the stroke...We have more players, multiple strokes, and 3 times as many files--which will grow regularly.

I could go on and mention a few dozne other things--like the value of this Forum--but anyone else out there have any comments on the difference between the sites?
    Last edited by johnyandell; 04-07-2005, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I'm a member at both sites. Tennisplayer.net is much, much better. I echo everything John has said.

On another note, I was checking out the footage of Federer serving at TennisOne. The video they just put up is of Roger at this year's Indian Wells tournament. Comparing this footage to what's here at TennisPlayer, which is from last year's Indian Wells tournament, there's a pretty big change in Federer's motion. Last year, Federer brought up his left toe during the toss, a la Sampras. This year, Federer keeps the toe down, and actually slides the front foot BACK! Huge change I think. I'm really surprised noone has talked about this.

By the way, even though the Federer serving footage here is one year older than the stuff at TennisOne, the footage there is so bad: terrible resolution, really small viewing windows, and only one angle (side).

Keep up the great work John! Good work takes time. We could all use a little patience.

Comment

I want to add that TennisOne isn't a completely terrible site. The only reason I haven't cancelled my subscription there is because of two writers: Doug King and Heath Waters. Heath Waters especially seems to be in the mold of John in the sense that he focuses on the commonalities in pro strokes. However, besides these two men, TennisOne.com has little to say for itself.

John, what do you think about the work Doug King and Heath Waters have done?
        Last edited by lukman41985; 04-07-2005, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Luk,

Truly you are a student of the game! I had not noticed that change in Federer's starting stance. Kind of freaked me out...Actually we have a bunch of new Federer footage we are integrating into the Stroke Archives, including some from IW.

I thought maybe we were the ones who were missing the changes in the motion. I looked at a couple of serves from last year and this. The change in the starting stance is very noticeable! But watch what happens about 30 frames into the motion. You'll see he still gets to the exact same position at the knee bend.

I console myself by saying that the key positions in the motion remain exactly the same... I'll drop some movies in here when we get the new footage up and we can compare them.

Keep up the great feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell
            But watch what happens about 30 frames into the motion. You'll see he still gets to the exact same position at the knee bend.
            True, true.

Comment

debate

I am surprised there is even a debate. I used to be a member at tennisONe. Enough said.
              Keep up the good work, John Yandell.

Comment

I have to agree that both of them have some vision and passion and integrity. They are trying to put forth what they know in a way that others can understand. I know Doug and have always found him to be a great guy. Don't know Heath, and don't agree with a lot that he says--you'll see that in an upcoming article on Roddick's serve. But that's ok and what makes the world go around.

Comment

Site debate

Sorry...no two ways about it...John Yandell is nonparell in this field. His departure from Tennisone took the steam out of it. Some of the articles on the latter are worthwhile, but pound for pound there's nothing out there to compare with Tennisplayer.

Comment

updates???

Wow, I have yet to fully study the content that resides here, let alone talk about updates! (and my screen name is JoeTennis)

Seriously, I've studied this site at least an hour a day since I've become a member. My girlfriend is pissed, but my tennis crowd is impressed.

I'm really not familiar with Tennisone.com's current set-up. It was revolutionary six years ago, though. The www has plenty of room for truly informative tennis sites. This one's the best I've seen, but honestly, I'm all for having three or four TennisPlayer.net-type of sites for me to read all the time. The question is, would I get any sleep?

Sidenote: Maybe you and your people can get together with the teaching associations or the ATP or the ITF and come up with a degree program in this stuff. Like a liberal arts elective credit or a curriculum for a Master's in Tennis Information.
                    Well, I'm just kidding. Half-kidding.

In love w/ this game. You cats obviously are, too. Keep up the good work! Membership here is a good deal.

Thanks,
                    JT

Comment

I will probably stay a member of both, I hate that there seems to be animosity between John and TennisOne. I like the articles and I respect Dave Smith. I think John has take the idea of TennisOne, which I believe he helped build, and grown it into something a little more mature.

The articles of TennisOne still challenge you to think and agree or disagree, I'm sure I won't agree with everything here, but it is fun to argue with John, I respect his opinions and views, he's done so much to help the teachers and students of the game to have information readily at hand.

If you haven't gotten the slow motion vids yet, they are awesome

thanks for all you do John and let me know when i can get the five year membership deal.

James

Comment

Courbie,

Thanks that's great. Let's just say that there were some broken promises and the loss of what I thought was a great friendship over the TennisONE thing and leave it at that. I've already said the same things you said about Dave (and others). My past difficulties there should stop anyone from using the site and finding what they think maybe be valuable there!

Glad you like the high speed. Give us a year and then we'll make you a good offer on a long term membership.

Regards,
                        John Yandell

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8082 users online. 4 members and 8078 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X