Exceptional Tennis Hands and Feet Examples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exceptional Tennis Hands and Feet Examples

Excellent observations on Mecir by Stotty, in another post, got me interested in finding examples of those players who conquered tennis with their feet ( like Federer, McEnroe, Mecir) and those who conquered with their hands (like Nastase, McEnroe,Federer). Anyone willing to share their short list of examples?

I know some of you have accumulated a lot of “ live” observations over the years. I am intrigued by those players whose style did not center around exceptional athleticism of power, strength, speed or height/ wingspan. We all have observed examples of those who developed a style that accentuated their ability in anticipation, feet efficiency in changing direction and control of hand tension and racket face direction( touch/ angles).

It's rare to get the whole package: extreme talent, gliding movement, athleticism, touch and excellent hands. I would certainly put Rios up there but it's a struggle to name others that could join that illustrious crowd you have already mentioned. They all moved so incredibly well. Nastase, Mecir and Roger are so composed even at the end of an extreme get. I watched Nastase live many times and found it uncanny what he could do with the ball, but above all he just flowed. He never seemed to have much of a game plan but rather just played instinctively and off the cuff...glided around doing amazing things.

They are talented players around today such as Kyrgios and Fognini but they are not quite like the players above...they don't happen very often. The way Mecir and McEnroe messed around with geometry was something else. I believe Mecir was the last tour player to lay down his wooden racket.
    Stotty

Comment

There is probably something to be gleaned from watching old video clips of Nastase, Mecir, et. al. regarding anticipation and balance. I suspect anticipation enabled them to have time to accelerate and decelerate their superb movement with balance. That balance is required to execute touch shots. I think the approach dropshot is going to have to make a comeback(other than Federer), if we are ever going to see more net play. Increase in touch and net play will most likely involve some kind of innovation in racket and string flexibility to handle the speed/spin in today’s game.

Comment

The great thing about Rios is he loved to show off as only a South American can...with swagger and confidence...rather like the late Diego Maradona - the opposite of the reserved and unassuming Mecir, which highlights genius can reside in anyone.

Stotty

Comment

One other player that falls in this category to me was Henri LeCounte. He certainly was not the athlete of Mecir or Nastase, but what a talent.

Comment

Great example of Rios. His anticipation, fast feet and racket face angle on the volley are incredible. I forgot about LeCounte. I will check it out. Dustin Brown is another great shot maker that comes to mind, but his style is more about entertainment than winning points. As you said, some ultra talented shot makers cannot channel the rest of the package( or refuse to acknowledge the need). I guess I am drawn to shotmakers and brainiacs over brawn.

I noticed that Wilco Neinaber is leading the European golf younger group with 400+ yard drives and a 6 foot 2 inch height( sorry about the lack of metrics)......a sign of brawn coming to pro golf as it has to tennis.

Comment

This clip is a great example of what Henri could produce.

Comment

Thanks Stotty, That LeConte clip is really something. Such fast feet!! Federer, Mecir, LeConte, McEnroe, Nastase.....thhe common denominator to me is that they play close to the baseline, take the ball early to get angles, have quick feet that take small steps and stay fairly upright when moving.......all things that seem to allow them to stay balanced to hit approach drop shots on one extreme or close the net quickly to drop volley on the other extreme.

Maybe someone will figure out how to consistently close the net on a “Nadal” type on clay.

Comment

The Nadal clay court puzzle/code is not going to be cracked except by aging of Nadal.
                  Last edited by stroke; 11-26-2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                    https://youtu.be/1dDmLm3nqqA

This clip is a great example of what Henri could produce.
                    Nice clip. Yes Henri was a bit special. He had a tendency to blow hot and cold (like Kyrgios) but when he was on he was on. I think the trouble with 'hot and cold' is it won't take you too far in the slams, which is borne out by Henri's grand slam record...an awful lot of early exits. As a lefty who came along as McEnroe was exiting, he was sometimes compared to McEnroe who was a little more mercurial still and more consistent in his mercurialness. The ball seemed to sit on McEnroe's racket for two seconds when he hit a drop volley...heavy, heavy touch. The finest touch I have ever seen.
                    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Nice clip. Yes Henri was a bit special. He had a tendency to blow hot and cold (like Kyrgios) but when he was on he was on. I think the trouble with 'hot and cold' is it won't take you too far in the slams, which is borne out by Henri's grand slam record...an awful lot of early exits. As a lefty who came along as McEnroe was exiting, he was sometimes compared to McEnroe who was a little more mercurial still and more consistent in his mercurialness. The ball seemed to sit on McEnroe's racket for two seconds when he hit a drop volley...heavy, heavy touch. The finest touch I have ever seen.
                      I read a quote one time(French I think) that said Henri was a "genius from the elbow down". Spot on to me.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4909 users online. 6 members and 4903 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X