X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum: Oct 2007 Djokovic Backhand

Backhands Front

Backhands Side

This month it's your chance to dissect the backhand wing of Novak Djokovic.

He's been acclaimed for the steady quality of his backhand, but his errors in the U.S. Open final might encourage players to hit to this side more often.

As Allen Fox comments in his new article this month, Novak forfeited two first set points in a row in the final off this side. One at 40-15 and the another at 40-30 off of very make-able balls. Would the nerves have shown up so clearly had Federer gone to the forehand?

The two clips show a good variety of movement for Novak as he sets up to hit his backhand (moving in, on the run, etc.)

Why was this shot the bane of his Grand Slam final debut?

Is there any technical flaw to Novak's backhand?

Technically, consider, which of the "4 variations" found in the Advanced Tennis section does Novak use? What advantages/disadvatages are there to his style?

Finally, what must a two hander do to deal with the dead slice that Federer delivers so frequently to his opponents backhand? Is it certain death to all, or is there a way out of this trap?
    Last edited by johnyandell; 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM.

Quick Time Backhands Front

Quick Time Backhands Side

Last edited by johnyandell; 10-19-2007, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I think Djokovic just tightened up in the US open final. From my own experience, humble as it is, I believe that tightening up affects the 2HBH much more than the forehand - you lose a ton of racquet head speed and end up pushing the ball.

Otherwise, his 2HBH looks just great to me - I can't see any flaws as such.

Comment

Bent/bent--the lower, right, hand grip is east of continental it seems, like Roddick.

Comment

The reason Djokovic lost to Federer and now Nalbandian at Madrid is because both of them have the ability to windshield wiper finish on the backhand side, just like all pros do on the forehand side. Djokovic almost always finishes in the classic style. When he hits hard from the baseline he takes more of a risk than Federer and Nalbandian. Harry Kingsley

Comment

is Djoko using flex/flex backhand like Ferrero? I think it is, it's defenetly not bend/straight or straight/straight, and it doesn't seem to that much bend in his arms at contact. Looks a lot like Ferrero from the stroke archive
            Last edited by roartt; 10-21-2007, 01:39 PM.

Comment

One observation about Djokovic's backhand is the very large step toward the ball. Is this typical of his stroke and other players? Also, his torso turn seems to be pulling back. Is he trying to put extra spin on the ball or is this his normal body rotation? And, does that body rotation take away from extension?
              Last edited by ralph; 10-22-2007, 01:01 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

The arm position on the left arm isn't as pronounced as some of the other bent/bent guys--see Davydenko in the high speed archive--or the women, but I'd still say bent/bent.

That big step-and especially across is characteristic of the pro one hander. Check out the series in the Advanced Tennis section for that.

The torso rotation pattern is typical of the top players. Turning past square and then being basically open at the completion of extension. The players are moving in multiple dimensions and will often pull up and around as they go into the rap.

I think it's one of the best backhands on the tour.

Comment

Ralph,

I think the "very large step" you refer to is just him stepping in on a short ball. This happens on the first backhand on the side view clip.

Notice that he also hits open stance when necessary as shown on the second backhand in the front view clip.

As for the "pulled away" look.

I don't think the level of body rotation has anything to do with creating spin. That's more likely a function of how fast the player rotates his body and whether he prefers to let that rotation slow down gradually or not.

Your "pulling back" comment is insightful though. I think this calls attention to the evolution of world class tennis strokes being increasingly dependent on trunk rotation speed.

Often times that those rotation forces created on ground strokes pull the player in directions other than towards the target of the shot. The player turns himself into a powerful centrifuge and it takes some time to slow that down. I think that's what your noticing.

Thanks for your post.

roartt,

I agree with the Ferrero comparison. Ralph, you should check out the Ferrero clips for yourself. You'll see that that "twisted up" look at the end of the follow-thru with Ferrero as well. Ferrero's probably my favorite backhand hitter, he gets great trunk speed.

I like Djocovic's backhand too John, anybody I can compare to Ferrero is doing something rite in my book.
                  Last edited by EricMatuszewski; 10-26-2007, 01:10 PM.

Comment

has anyone considered the connection of the release of the torso and the release of the swing? djokovic definitely started releasing his torso early in the us open final, thus delaying his racquet head and causing less topspin. there was even a moment in the third set when he seemed to notice the concept of unit turn; he did a couple of perfect practise swings and for two games or so it improved.

Comment

Tpa,

I agree Djokovic's backhand didn't look as good in the final as it does in these clips. I credit Fed for that.

Could you explain your terms "releasing the torso" and "releasing the swing". I'm taking those terms to refer to the biomechanical timing of the arm actions as related to the trunk rotation. To be more specific, at what point in trunk rotation does the right shoulder start to abduct horizontally. I really don't know exactly what you mean though.

Perhaps some of the readers have thought of this concept, without using those terms. Please elaborate, it sounds interesting.

Thanks,
                      Eric

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2573 users online. 6 members and 2567 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X