Shovalov's Video Lesson Hitting his Leaping One-Handed Backhand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shovalov's Video Lesson Hitting his Leaping One-Handed Backhand

Quite enjoyed Denis Shapovalov's video lesson on the ATP site about hitting his leaping one hander. After the enormous number of tennis videos I've seen, I can't recall a lesson specifically on this shot. Segues well to John's discussion of "Spacing", and my Tour Portrait on one-handed backhands.
    https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...erer_backhand/

This photo shows how he focuses on "Spacing", and contrasts that with Fed and Dimitrov, who have shorter takebacks (who doesn't }. Shapo also does a drill without a racket, where he practices catching the ball on the forward-leaning leap with his racket hand. On ATP:
    https://www.atptour.com/en/news/shap...-december-2020

Spacing

filedata/fetch?id=92151&d=1608408656&type=thumb

Catch Drill

filedata/fetch?id=92152&d=1608408722&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 12-19-2020, 08:34 PM.

This shot has been around a long time and sparingly used as a put away shot on a high bouncing ball at mid court (on forehand as well), but this is the first I have seen it discussed. It seems that the bent rear leg lift is important in helping with the front leg push off height and also helping with torso coil and overall balance. Perhaps Brian Gordon could weigh in on the specific mechanics. However spacing and timing, as Denis stated, is critical.

Comment

Denis leaping backhand made me think about where the game is headed. As John discussed in earlier articles, more of the game made be played by hitting the ball in the air( who who ever dreamed of backcourt stroke volleys!). Attacking play will make a comeback, but if it does, it will take radical conditioning. Those of you who have been at this a long time can tease out future tennis adaptation possibilities from this Chinese pro badminton training overview::

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
        This shot has been around a long time and sparingly used as a put away shot on a high bouncing ball at mid court (on forehand as well), but this is the first I have seen it discussed. It seems that the bent rear leg lift is important in helping with the front leg push off height and also helping with torso coil and overall balance. Perhaps Brian Gordon could weigh in on the specific mechanics. However spacing and timing, as Denis stated, is critical.
        First variant I remember is Marat Safin, hitting his leaning two-handed backhand - what I called his Fire Hydrant Backhand, for the lifted rear leg. Analysts would repeatedly say, "I have no idea why he's doing that." Recently, Daria Kasatkina has a good leaping two-handed backhand that was fun to watch, although her aggression declined with her ranking the last few years.

But the leaping one-hander, with its greater range of motion, intrigues.

I've heard that Shapo and Tsitsipas were two of the first now-top ATP pros to start out playing with the large tennis balls as children. Some have speculated that's why their shots are wristy. Perhaps that will also encourage use of this shot.

Happy (& Safe) Holidays.

Comment

Well it's not exactly at the Tennisplayer level of explanation...

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            Indeed . Absolutely true. But it will have to do until TPN gets the right video. That would presumably be easier for you if there were more people hitting this shot. A TPN upgrade is something to wish for in 2021?

Comment

Very cool - thanks for posting! I love Shap and his one hander, especially this jumping one hander. He's a real showman, and I hope he wins a Slam one day.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                Quite enjoyed Denis Shapovalov's video lesson on the ATP site about hitting his leaping one hander. After the enormous number of tennis videos I've seen, I can't recall a lesson specifically on this shot. Segues well to John's discussion of "Spacing", and my Tour Portrait on one-handed backhands.
                https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...erer_backhand/

This photo shows how he focuses on "Spacing", and contrasts that with Fed and Dimitrov, who have shorter takebacks (who doesn't }. Shapo also does a drill without a racket, where he practices catching the ball on the forward-leaning leap with his racket hand. On ATP:
                https://www.atptour.com/en/news/shap...-december-2020

Spacing

filedata/fetch?id=92151&d=1608408656&type=thumb

Catch Drill

filedata/fetch?id=92152&d=1608408722&type=thumb
                I saw this some days before you posted it and I remember that I felt it was distinctly Denis "The Menace" Shapovalov. Dumb and dumber. Anyone that wants to go leaping into their backhand is welcome to do so. Defying all logic and actual percentages. Denis obviously is a very talented young man but he is limited intellectually. At least by all appearances. Appearances such as the pre-serve routine of bouncing the ball between his legs. Appearances such as wearing his cap on backwards. Appearances as to being seemingly totally unaware how to balance offence and defence into his game. Everything about this guy says to me "clueless". Clueless in comparison to his immense talent. But talent is as talent does. Unless there is a fundamental basis for that talent to perform on it is wasted. We have seen it time and time again. If he is to win a Grand Slam or even any other tournament of note it will be a fluke. The stars will have all lined up for him. I don't think he could handle the success either if he were to win. His head is what you would call a "loose wrap". This lesson in a jumping backhand is pure Shapovalov. I would never teach a shot like this. It's a crowd pleaser. It's a gimmick. Flash in the pan. Pure hot dog.
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                  Agreed.

I found a Chris Lewis piece on TPN about one-handed backhands and -- although it doesn't cover this specific shot -- it does have this tangential issue, a reference to the role of leaping in training.
                  https://www.tennisplayer.net/public/...ckhand_part_4/
                  "Many coaches advise not trying to "jump" into the shot. The argument is that the jump should be a natural byproduct of the leg drive. That may be for developed players at high levels.

I train kids to leave the court surface, similar to plyometrics.
                  But in my experience building strokes, players need to learn to activate those quads! I have my players load up the legs and jump consciously into the ball. I want them to get in touch with their lower body and get the maximum drive upward possible.

It’s like plyometric training. For me, working on the leg drive is like lifting weights in the gym. Initially, the player has to work hard to make the explosive movement from the legs."

Separately, what I like in the Shapo/ATP vid is getting a sense of how this top pro thinks about practicing a shot. Practicing without a racket by catching the ball surprised me.

Look forward to seeing the same topic in more detail on TPN.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8017 users online. 8 members and 8009 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X