Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacing: Swing Volleys

Let's discuss Dave Hagler's latest article, "Spacing: Swing Volleys"

Now this is interesting for me because I am guilty of not teaching the swing volley as much as I should. It clearly has it's uses and is a product of modern rackets in my view. The shot hardly existed in the classic era.

The footwork aspect of the article is enlightening and certainly something I will experiment with (though not for a while as it looks like a two-month severe lockdown here in the UK...no tennis whatsoever is permitted).

A question I would like to ask is about the backswing on the swing volley. I have always taught to take less backswing than a typical groundstroke as I feel timing is easier off a smaller backswing. Would this be correct? Or would you encourage the same size backswing as a groundstroke?
    Stotty

Comment

Stotty - I think it is a using pace vs. generating pace issue. Most swing volleys are hit against incoming balls with minimal to at most moderate pace. If the ball was a dropping grondstroke at the same height and trajectory (and the player had the same court position), my guess is you'd want them to take a pretty big swing. In my experience if players hit the ball near the top of their power zone and they try to hit with topspin and velocity they have success. I tell players this will be an easy shot for you, hit it like a groundstroke. Sorry you are locked down. Dave

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8984 users online. 8 members and 8976 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X