Question on Wrist Tightness 1H BH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Wrist Tightness 1H BH

Hello, I have been working on a one handed backhand for about a year and the articles in the advanced tennis section have helped me so much. However, whenever I go out and play, I am still confused about how tight the wrist should be. Should it be completely in the extended position (aka cocked?) or should should it be in a neutral position? I think I understand the forehand, since the wrist naturally stays back as a result of the drive foreward with the hips, shoulder and elbow.
    From my own experience so far, when I cock my wrist, it tends to hurt because I am actively extending it, so right now I am keeping it more towards a neutral position right in the middle of fully flexed and fully extended. It would help if someone could try to explain how the wrist should feel from start to finish! Thanks.

By the way my grip that I usually use with the one hander is knuckle and heelpad on top bevel (I think more like a federer stroke?)
    Last edited by jcastellano; 10-21-2007, 09:46 AM.

The wrist will be slightly cocked up, or laid back, just by the nature of the grip, but shouldn't be exaggerated or forced. It should also be in line with the arm right to left, not flexed forward or back.

I think it's ok to keep the whole arm relatively rigid to get the feel of swinging the arm and racket from the shoulder.

After that it's like the other strokes--you develop the feel of keeping everything tight enough to make the positions, but relaxed enough to feel fluid.

Comment

Thank you for your advice John, it has really helped me; although I do have a few more questions if you don't mind.
      First, concerning the role of the knees in the backhand, I know that you have to have a good knee bend initially; however, when completing the forward swing, do the knees remain in their bent position, or is there a transfer of weight from the ground up (am I making sense?).
      For example, concerning the forehand, the knees don't stay bent throughout the whole swing; instead, as the body uncoils, they (knees) tend to extend a little bit. Am I right in this, or do I have it all wrong? I apologize for taking up your time with this, but here is a video off youtube that shows what I am talking about (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyjVnG6CAGI). The guy in the video keeps advocating to keep the knees bent so that they remain in the same position throughout the whole swing. I definitely have enough strength to keep my knees locked in a bent position throughout the stroke, but I thought (and watching some of the pros hit) that in order to transfer your weight through the shot, the knees should extend(?) somewhat. Maybe I am wrong though...
      Furthermore, in part one of his lesson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX37c7_svqs) at 1:30 , he talks about locking the wrist, and about it being sore. Just to make sure that I am understanding what you wrote in your first post, what he says about the wrist is pretty much wrong because the wrist should not be cocked like he has it and extended that far out.
      Those are the two components of the backhand that I am having trouble understanding, and I apologize for the long post. Thank you again.

Comment

Sorry I couldn't make it thru watching that guy. If you look in the stroke archive you'll see that many things happen with the knees and the front foot.

If the ball was waist level or below you might really try staying down. But usually the knees uncoil naturally. I think it's probably a mistake to make them the focus of the stroke. If the turn and the step are correct, they should more or less take care of themselves.

Cocked and locked may not be the same thing. Ge the grip and just let the wrist be-don't force it up or to one side or other. Again the arm and racket swing as a unit so that requires some solidity but not super tenison.
        Last edited by johnyandell; 11-06-2007, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Ok! I think I got it; now time to hit the backboard. Again, thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2649 users online. 8 members and 2641 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X