Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doctorhl
    replied
    Nasty’s fh approach chip slice often took off the pace of his opponent’s shot, but he had the quick first 3 steps to close behind the shot and cut off the opponent’s return with an angled volley.....a shot even more effective in doubles. But you have to have those kind of feet to make that type of approach shot effective.

Leave a comment:

• stotty
    replied
    Nice find. I could watch the gifted one all day. Gliding around effortlessly and stroking the ball like a wizard. Loved the finish. The level of celebration was about right and the congratulations shown by the loser genuine and perfectly conveyed. Perhaps Nasty wasn't so nasty after all.

Leave a comment:

• don_budge
    replied

Ilie Nastase versus Guillermo Vilas...Dunlop Maxply Fort vs. Jack Kramer Autograph. Really? Does it get any better than this?

Leave a comment:

• don_budge
    replied
    Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Let's discuss Scoop Malinowski's article, "Facing Guillermo Vilas"
    Vilas vs. Borg...5-17

Vilas vs. Cash...0-1

Vilas vs. Kriek...0-1

Vilas vs. Connors...4-5

Vilas vs. Lendl...5-10

Vilas vs. McEnroe...6-8

One tough hombre. Guillermo Vilas. Don Budge loved his backhand. He told me so back in 1973 at the old Washington Star tournament. Vilas was just hitting the ground. Here's an interesting hypothetical...Vilas vs. Nadal using traditional equipment on traditional surfaces. Any thoughts on that one?

It doesn't surprise me that Borg had to channel the inner "hate" against his opponents. I remember getting ready for my opponents. Bjorn couldn't take Vilas for granted even though he had a lopsided record against him. He had to psyche himself up as Guillermo was formidable.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    Ice on the outside hate on the inside!

Leave a comment:

• stotty
    replied
    Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    I thought the Borg quotes were very revealing about his motivation. Hate!
    Yes, I was surprised at that one. I didn't think Borg had that side to him. Stubborn and tough as nails, yes, but not hate. I guess these emotions reside in all of us somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    I thought the Borg quotes were very revealing about his motivation. Hate!

Leave a comment:

• stotty
    replied
    I like the excerpts by McEnroe and Cash, particularly McEnroe's. The other excerpts are more about the players elevating themselves rather than Vilas. Most unusual for Borg.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic Facing Guillermo Vilas

Facing Guillermo Vilas

Let's discuss Scoop Malinowski's article, "Facing Guillermo Vilas"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8411 users online. 6 members and 8405 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X