No announcement yet.

Interactive Forum March 2021: Danill Medvedev Forehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certainly agree about Medvedev's movement. For a 6'5/6'6" guy, his movement is the best ever, though Tsitsipas is very very close at 6'4" or so. Basically with Medvedev, he is just so solid off both sides. His backhand is just unbelievably solid. He is the best lockdown no where to go player out there with the notable exception of an in the mood Novak. Medvedev has shown this very plainly win his encounters vs Rublev and Tsitsipas, 2 great players.

Comment

I don't understand all of the criticism of his forehand based on its appearance. Is this some form of tennis racism? Judging by appearances? Just threw that in there. I'm no social justice warrior. I believe in responsibility. Everyone has rights but it is their responsibility to capitalise on them. I defend his right to be different, although from what I can tell he is fundamentally correct in all phases if not politically correct. No...this is a beautiful tennis player by modern standards. He doesn't meet the cookie-cutter criteria perhaps. And so what? It's not like he is that far off if you are looking closely.

Looking at Daniil execute his forehand he doesn't appear to be preoccupied with getting excess "net clearance" with excessive top spin. That isn't in his lexicon. He is playing the game in a much different manner than the cookie-cutters and they seem to have their difficulties in dealing with his "style". With an noticeable absence of style in the game today...I find him to be somewhat refreshing. Mr. Pencil is certainly delivering a little diversity to the game that it so sorely needs. Everything he does seems to be a trifle unorthodox but upon closer inspection I cannot find anything fundamentally lacking other than his margin for error. He likes to play it tight and that is the way he sees it. It might cost him in the end...in the final analysis. I'll never forget the performance he gave at the U. S. Open that night in New York where he basically told the whole entire rabid crowd to go screw themselves. That took a lot of balls. He pulled it off too without looking overbearing. He stated his case in his own terms and let it be. I like this guy and any quirks that might be attributed to him.

I just want to see him man up in the huge matches. Preferably sooner than later. He seems like he has the guts to do it. You just have to clear that final hurdle the first time and it gets a bit easier...or not. Ivan Lendl comes to mind.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Lendl sure did. He absolutely took over after that FO win over Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          I don't understand all of the criticism of his forehand based on its appearance. Is this some form of tennis racism? Judging by appearances? Just threw that in there. I'm no social justice warrior. I believe in responsibility. Everyone has rights but it is their responsibility to capitalise on them. I defend his right to be different, although from what I can tell he is fundamentally correct in all phases if not politically correct. No...this is a beautiful tennis player by modern standards. He doesn't meet the cookie-cutter criteria perhaps. And so what? It's not like he is that far off if you are looking closely.

Looking at Daniil execute his forehand he doesn't appear to be preoccupied with getting excess "net clearance" with excessive top spin. That isn't in his lexicon. He is playing the game in a much different manner than the cookie-cutters and they seem to have their difficulties in dealing with his "style". With an noticeable absence of style in the game today...I find him to be somewhat refreshing. Mr. Pencil is certainly delivering a little diversity to the game that it so sorely needs. Everything he does seems to be a trifle unorthodox but upon closer inspection I cannot find anything fundamentally lacking other than his margin for error. He likes to play it tight and that is the way he sees it. It might cost him in the end...in the final analysis. I'll never forget the performance he gave at the U. S. Open that night in New York where he basically told the whole entire rabid crowd to go screw themselves. That took a lot of balls. He pulled it off too without looking overbearing. He stated his case in his own terms and let it be. I like this guy and any quirks that might be attributed to him.

I just want to see him man up in the huge matches. Preferably sooner than later. He seems like he has the guts to do it. You just have to clear that final hurdle the first time and it gets a bit easier...or not. Ivan Lendl comes to mind.
          Medvedev too good and too high of a tennis IQ to not win the big ones. His highest level is scary and has proved that numerous times with his performances. He may be my new favorite player now that Berdych is retired.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Delray Beach
          SETS Consulting

Comment

i have been reading about the forehand in various sections of the site. Not so sure that ideal models really apply!

Comment

This is an insight and a good question.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7651 users online. 8 members and 7643 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X