A first since 2005. Unbelievable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A first since 2005. Unbelievable.

What this really illustrates is an incredible lack of depth in the game of tennis.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I have to say it is an incredible stat. No question that all four players are class above the others as evidenced over and over again. The one question mark for me is that I feel slowing the grass at Wimbledon has underpinned some of their dominance at least to some extent, and also the complete absence of fast indoor carpet. The homogenising of court surfaces has resulted in a given type of player i.e. baseliners with exceptional footwork in both attack and defence. A player, as evidenced over and over again, can achieve a very high ranking seemingly without any net game whatsoever. I think that says a lot.

I still think the Big would have dominated because they are incredibly good and completely driven, but instead of winning 58 slams between them, they might have won a mere 45 or less if court surfaces had been kept more diverse. I go to Wimbledon most years and I can tell you the courts have changed out of all proportion since the 70's and 80's.

I think Novak will relinquish his #1 spot soon to concentrate on slams. It will be down to Medvedev and co. to take advantage and steal it away from him. The thing is they will need to be consistent because although Novak will be on a reduced schedule, it is still likely he will be winning what he enters.

I am not sure how long Novak is guaranteed to keep his #1 ranking from hereon in but I suspect it is a few months yet.
      Stotty

Comment

Tennishead: 'Novak Djokovic has by far the best game in tennis,' says Alex Corretja.

Hard to disagree with Alex, who is certainly a class act.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          Tennishead: 'Novak Djokovic has by far the best game in tennis,' says Alex Corretja.

Hard to disagree with Alex, who is certainly a class act.
          Hard to argue against Novak being the best. He has dominated Rafa and Roger since 2011, winning two thirds of his encounters against them. A fact that cannot be ignored. He's dispatched Roger in three Wimbledon finals. The only backyard he hasn't invaded and secured is the FO. That remains firmly in the hands of Rafa.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Hard to argue against Novak being the best. He has dominated Rafa and Roger since 2011, winning two thirds of his encounters against them. A fact that cannot be ignored. He's dispatched Roger in three Wimbledon finals. The only backyard he hasn't invaded and secured is the FO. That remains firmly in the hands of Rafa.
            The only argument against Novak is total GS's(as of now) I would say. He looks great in head to heads and Masters 1000's(particularly as he won all twice, unbelievable accomplishment).

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              What this really illustrates is an incredible lack of depth in the game of tennis.
              Equally of concern is the lack of depth of fan discernment.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
                Equally of concern is the lack of depth of fan discernment.
                Actually anybody that has a half a wit about them understands that the average fan tends to be rather uninformed these days. Age is a good excuse. Everyone is so dumbed down these days. One could argue that ninety percent are idiots. Maybe more. What is more concerning to me is the lack of discernment from supposed coaches, announcers and the rest of the zoo. You see...you don't have to really be a racist to not like somebody. You only have to know that most of the human race doesn't set the bar too high.

But this "monumental" achievement is really indicative of a lack of any real meaningful depth in the field. Just think about the number of Americans currently in the top ten. In the top hundred. Historical low. Let's face it...as America goes so does the rest of the world in some sense. Currently the Russians are doing way better than the Americans. It is a wacky world these days and this has been a long time in the making. America seems to be spiralling out of control. Just like American tennis.

There is a general lack of depth in the discernment department throughout the entire world. If you look at the political scene, this is another real time indicator. Politics are a real cesspool. Without Roger Federer you could give tennis one big flush and nobody would miss it in a month or two. One exciting match from Roger was all that was needed to prove my point. The rest of it was of zero interest to a true connoisseur of the game. But I don't fault those that try to make something of the rest. Just listen to the announcers trying their best to make something of it. It sounds so forced...sort of like "President" Biden trying to convince an entire nation to get a vaccination. Nobody was even listening. It was difficult to even find a copy of his speech on YouTube. Nobody cared. He was entirely unconvincing...yet the mainstream media fawned over it like it was a real work of art. He is like an empty shell. He reminds me of the professional tennis tour.

So Medvedev cracked the top two for the first time by somebody out of the "Big Four". That is news. Bad news. Even Daniil has failed to make a real impression on the huge stage...yet his is number two?
                don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Actually anybody that has a half a wit about them understands that the average fan tends to be rather uninformed these days. Age is a good excuse. Everyone is so dumbed down these days. One could argue that ninety percent are idiots. Maybe more. What is more concerning to me is the lack of discernment from supposed coaches, announcers and the rest of the zoo. You see...you don't have to really be a racist to not like somebody. You only have to know that most of the human race doesn't set the bar too high.

But this "monumental" achievement is really indicative of a lack of any real meaningful depth in the field. Just think about the number of Americans currently in the top ten. In the top hundred. Historical low. Let's face it...as America goes so does the rest of the world in some sense. Currently the Russians are doing way better than the Americans. It is a wacky world these days and this has been a long time in the making. America seems to be spiralling out of control. Just like American tennis.

There is a general lack of depth in the discernment department throughout the entire world. If you look at the political scene, this is another real time indicator. Politics are a real cesspool. Without Roger Federer you could give tennis one big flush and nobody would miss it in a month or two. One exciting match from Roger was all that was needed to prove my point. The rest of it was of zero interest to a true connoisseur of the game. But I don't fault those that try to make something of the rest. Just listen to the announcers trying their best to make something of it. It sounds so forced...sort of like "President" Biden trying to convince an entire nation to get a vaccination. Nobody was even listening. It was difficult to even find a copy of his speech on YouTube. Nobody cared. He was entirely unconvincing...yet the mainstream media fawned over it like it was a real work of art. He is like an empty shell. He reminds me of the professional tennis tour.

So Medvedev cracked the top two for the first time by somebody out of the "Big Four". That is news. Bad news. Even Daniil has failed to make a real impression on the huge stage...yet his is number two?
                  Here is a real bad Don Budge imitation. But I think you will get the point...

I am confused though. Athletes are better than they have ever been physically. They are fitter, faster and are playing much longer than ever. Tom Brady at over 40, Federer approaching 40 and moving as well as the rest of the field.

I think we should blame Amazon. Not the company but the idea of Amazon. I can order a set of grips right now and pick them up in less than half an hour. If I wait a day or two, I can get them delivered to my door.

What is the capital of Botswana? Wait, is Botswana even a country anymore? What colors can my dog see? I can find all those answers in less than 10 minutes. The problem is that I have not earned any of this.

That is the illusion. Everything should be affordable and fast. The idea of building anything of creating anything that takes time and energy is so 20th century.

So what do we do? Follow the leader. Take all the information that the past generations have distilled for us and then just follow the path.

One great example, is the death of the one handed backhand. Trust me there are beautiful two handers. I am working with my daughter's teammate who hits two handed and I would not ask him to switch. But NO ONE hits with one hand on her team. In fact, only two players have hit with one hand on her team over the past 5 years. My son and my daughter. I go to tournaments and all I see are two handers.

Wawrinka, Tsitispas, Shapo, Thiem, we have some men left. But not one woman. Do you really want to tell me that there are no women out there that can hit like Henin or Mauresmo? Not one.

Of course, there are but they are sold snake oil. Told to hit with two hands right away. They get their Amazon backhand immediately. Why wait a few years for a good backhand when you can have one right away?

Again, not everyone. But some people should hit with one hand. Or at least be given the opportunity. And women can do it and do it well. Henin was not huge and she had no problem hanging with the big girls.

It's all about speed and comfort. Good tennis is anything but that. It requires fundamentals and patience.

Did anyone see Fritz vs. Nadal? Not one serve and volley the whole match. I mean if you are giant, have a giant serve, why would you play a mediocre game plan to lose 6-3, 6-2. Why not take a risk? Come to the net and get passed 50 times. But maybe you will tip things in your favor. Make Nadal move up and return. Then mix your serving and volleying so that he has no idea where he should stand or what you will do. Uncle Toni focused on making Federer doubt. Turn the tables and make Nadal doubt. Take a chance to see if there might be another way.

I know, just collect your check. Go home and order up something on Amazon. You will feel better in a few hours or tomorrow. Why fight when you can get paid and just chill watching Netflix, Hulu or Paramount+?

Just relax and enjoy your life. No need to go and get all bothered for nothing.

How was my imitation? How did I do?
                  Last edited by arturohernandez; 03-15-2021, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Please support: Bring Back Tennis Net Play Political Action Committee

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                      Just relax and enjoy your life. No need to go and get all bothered for nothing.

How was my imitation? How did I do?
                      I have read that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If this is the case...sincere thanks arturohernandez. You really caught the don_budge "telling the truth in times of mass deceit is a revolutionary act" tone with your ironic admonition to "just relax and enjoy your life. No need to go and get all bothered for nothing". Isn't irony the best way to tell a story to a class full of numbskulls without telling them they are numbskulls.

But seriously...what I really like about your post is the absence of need to "agree or disagree". Just tell it the way you see it. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke. Joke 'em if they can't take a fuck. Dress it up so it's ready to go out on a Saturday night if the occasion calls for it. Then just let it rip...often with a parting shot such as, "just relax...". Then exit the stadium ass first with a drink in your hand...just like Jack Nicholson would. Muy bien y muchas gracias Hermano.

"Of course, there are but they are sold snake oil. Told to hit with two hands right away. They get their Amazon backhand immediately. Why wait a few years for a good backhand when you can have one right away?"
                      don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4774 users online. 11 members and 4763 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X