No announcement yet.

Choking up on forehands, volleys, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choking up on forehands, volleys, etc.

I've never come across anything on this, and began wondering about it when Michael Chang was playing. He did it a lot, except when serving. Nowadays, I see some top-50 pros do it even when they serve, choking up as much as an inch and a half. It makes it easier to return a really big serve, and is useful when volleying at close quarters. It also helps when hitting a low, sliced forehand down the line off a shortball. It appears to me that it's built into the two-handed backhand and the uncommon two-handed forehand. I suppose it works because you reduce a major variable. For example, choking up on a hammer makes it easier to start pounding in a nail, even though it limits striking power. Would appreciate thoughts about it. Thanks.

choking up

oscar werner suggests choking up when the stroke feels off. i use it every now and then to get my timing back on service returns and occasionally on the volley. once it feels good again, i shift back.

Comment

I think you have found one of the more important areas of customizing your game. I use it all the time. Against big servers I choke up about a half inch and this not only helps me be quicker with the stick, but seems to help me shorten up my swing as well. I also use this at net for volleys and over heads.

For serving and my heavy spin forehands, I do just the opposite by getting slightly off the end of the stick and lengthening my strokes.

Works great and helps make sure you get back to ready position with both hands on the stick after each shot!

Comment

it looks as if pros using rackets longer then 27 inches allmost allways do this. Nalbandinan, Ferrero, Coria, Fish ++

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2483 users online. 5 members and 2478 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X