Federer's Chip-Lop Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federer's Chip-Lop Return

I have to admit I'm disappointed that no one commented on the last image in this month's tour portrait of Roger Federer's Returns:
    https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...derer_returns/

How many times have you seen Fed hit a chip-lob service return? I imagine that how I felt capturing this rare sight must be what a birder feels being the first in his community to see some rare species <g>. The match up explains the shot. Fed-Zverev were playing Isner-Sock. The combination of Sock's great and aggressive net play with Isner's big serve led to Fed hitting several chips. Worked. He'd land them over Sock, just inside the baseline forcing Isner to cover it. {Plus, it shows Fed with the one-time only Red RF97 ! }.

filedata/fetch?id=93108&d=1616521799&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-23-2021, 09:55 AM.

Jim: Those were great photos of returns! Besides being so beautiful, they capture Federer’s variety of returns along with his incredible balance. Do you ever sell poster size prints of your work?

That chip Lob requires great understanding of the speed of the incoming ball, racket angle, hand tension and body movement needed to counter it......the same mental processing Fed uses so well with his drop shots and his occasional use of attacking chip returns of the serve in singles.

Comment

[QUOTE=doctorhl;n93121That chip Lob requires great understanding of the speed of the incoming ball, racket angle, hand tension and body movement needed to counter it......the same mental processing Fed uses so well with his drop shots and his occasional use of attacking chip returns of the serve in singles.[/QUOTE]

A chip lob? Not sure what that means. An underspin lob? One of many versions of the underspin backhand as I have suggested before...it is like having a bag of golf clubs at your disposal. Judging from the description I would compare this to some kind of wedge shot. Gap wedge? Sand wedge? Lob wedge? Yeah...it is probably a lob wedge. Isn't it? I thought that the photos were extraordinary as well. The best I have ever seen.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

A chip Lob is is a s compact slice hit with a more open racket face. The greater the speed of the incoming ball, the more compact the swing. If you use forward body movement, the swing can be really compact, almost like a volley. The underspin usually means the peak of your lob needs to be past your opponent’s extended racket, or you will tend to fall short. The traditional lob hit with little spin usually should peak directly over your opponent’s extended racket. Very effective on clay doubles against forward leaning net huggers as they will not have good foot traction to instantly retreat for chip lobs that were disguised to look like low chip returns.

Comment

A chip lob is closer to a golf “flop shot” in flight path.

Comment

That shot is way underused even in recreational doubles, especially when the server's partner is too close to the net, which is quite common.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
              Jim: Those were great photos of returns! Besides being so beautiful, they capture Federer’s variety of returns along with his incredible balance. Do you ever sell poster size prints of your work?

That chip Lob requires great understanding of the speed of the incoming ball, racket angle, hand tension and body movement needed to counter it......the same mental processing Fed uses so well with his drop shots and his occasional use of attacking chip returns of the serve in singles.
              Thank you, doctorhl. I've sold a handful of larger photos, all prints on aluminum, which works well with sports shots, bright colors, high contrast.. But I don't actively market them, just get requests from tennis players I know.

As for Fed's variety of returns, I tried to assemble as many as possible, but his variety seems limitless. Part of what not only makes Fed great, but great to watch play.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

A chip lob? Not sure what that means. An underspin lob? One of many versions of the underspin backhand as I have suggested before...it is like having a bag of golf clubs at your disposal. Judging from the description I would compare this to some kind of wedge shot. Gap wedge? Sand wedge? Lob wedge? Yeah...it is probably a lob wedge. Isn't it? I thought that the photos were extraordinary as well. The best I have ever seen.
                Thank you! I like your golf metaphor. Fed does seem to carry more clubs with him. Someone needs to check his bag to see if he is over the limit <g>.

Comment

A chipped lob would be too slow moving to get over the head of a world-class player really. They are way too athletic to get beaten like that. A chipped lob over the net player is the preserve of the club player mostly. Works a treat in club doubles.

I imagine Roger is the only player who could pull it off at world-class level.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
                    A chip Lob is is a s compact slice hit with a more open racket face. The greater the speed of the incoming ball, the more compact the swing. If you use forward body movement, the swing can be really compact, almost like a volley. The underspin usually means the peak of your lob needs to be past your opponent’s extended racket, or you will tend to fall short. The traditional lob hit with little spin usually should peak directly over your opponent’s extended racket. Very effective on clay doubles against forward leaning net huggers as they will not have good foot traction to instantly retreat for chip lobs that were disguised to look like low chip returns.
                    I picked up the term "Chip Lob" from a video done by the Bryan Brothers. As I recall, they were bemoaning how Leander Paes was so effective using that against them.

Comment

Paes a top shelf doubles player.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2992 users online. 11 members and 2981 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X