Andalucia and Sardegna ATP 250's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andalucia and Sardegna ATP 250's

In Sardegna, Evans goes down 6-1 to 19 year old Lorenzo Musetti. Musetti obviously has a dangerous clay court game.

Evans, plucky as always, switches to a hard court moving forward style and wins 2nd set 6-1. Intriguing second round matchup, #1 seed Evans(who had 1st round bye) vs this young very good clay court player.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      Evans, plucky as always, switches to a hard court moving forward style and wins 2nd set 6-1. Intriguing second round matchup, #1 seed Evans(who had 1st round bye) vs this young very good clay court player.
      Thanks for the head-up stroke. I caught this match at 3-3 in the third. Tremendous finish culminating in a tie-breaker that went somewhat into overtime. A great look at the new kid Lorenzo Musetti. Daniel Evans once again providing us with a rare look at all court play. Serving and volleying on the clay. Coming to the net at every opportunity. Playing the slice backhand tactically and effectively. Musetti looks promising and has room for improvement...potential. Another one handed backhand in the mix.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Thanks for the head-up stroke. I caught this match at 3-3 in the third. Tremendous finish culminating in a tie-breaker that went somewhat into overtime. A great look at the new kid Lorenzo Musetti. Daniel Evans once again providing us with a rare look at all court play. Serving and volleying on the clay. Coming to the net at every opportunity. Playing the slice backhand tactically and effectively. Musetti looks promising and has room for improvement...potential. Another one handed backhand in the mix.
        I almost thought I was in pre-Y2K thread here for a second. Serving and volleying on clay. I'll have to look for that one.

Comment

Fritz, the now #1 American player, into the final 4 at Sardegna. I have long liked Fritz' game. He has a real chance to win this tournament. It has been a while since an American has looked to be a real threat to win one of these clay tournaments. Fritz showed great offense and DEFENSE in his quarter win over Bedene, which I'd obviously a must in today's clay court tennis. All the tools are there to be a factor.
          Last edited by stroke; 04-09-2021, 02:43 AM.

Comment

In Sardegna, Bash and Struff in an absolute slugfest in the 3rd set. Massive hitting. Even these 250's extremely tough draws.

Comment

In Andalucia, 17 year old Carlos Alcarez just took out Casper Ruud, who is probably a top 10 clay courter. He is rapidly entering the FO conversation. He is in the semis with 3 other Spaniards. He will obviously have to earn it here.
              Last edited by stroke; 04-10-2021, 02:58 AM.

Comment

In Andalucia, 19 year old Carlos Alvarez just took out Casper Ruud, who is probably a top 10 clay courter. He is rapidly entering the FO conversation. He is in the semis with 3 other Spaniards. He will obviously have to earn it here.
                Best to just leave it at the point in bold. That is meaningful enough. Any other speculation is merely that. Very significant win over Ruud though. Did you see it? I wanted to but the bed was singing me a lullaby I could not refuse. Like a siren she sang...then it was off to sleep.
                don_budge

Comment

Best to just leave it at the point in bold. That is meaningful enough. Any other speculation is merely that. Very significant win over Ruud though. Did you see it? I wanted to but the bed was singing me a lullaby I could not refuse. Like a siren she sang...then it was off to sleep.
                  Staying in the moment...Carlos Alcarez (ranked #133) versus Jaume Munar (ranked #95) in the semifinals of Andalucia, Spain. What an opportunity for the 17 year old kid from Spain. Would love to see him in the finals at a shot at an ATP title. This kid has a special look about him. Somehow he seems prepared for the hurdles and pitfalls ahead. I have a feeling he is going to be a handful for the next GOAT...Jannik Sinner.
                  don_budge

Comment

Yes meant to say 17 for Alcarez, I got stuck on 19 ha.
                    Last edited by stroke; 04-10-2021, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Yes meant to say 17 for Alvarez, I got stuck on 19 ha.
                      Yeah...this is a guy to watch. Alcarez vs. Alvarez. I mean Alcarez vs. Munar. This is a real doable match for young Carlos...aka "The Jackal". The match is scheduled to begin in about half an hour and I have to leave in about an hour for golf. I will try to see the beginning and hope to be around for the final tomorrow should "The Jackal" pull it out. I think he will. Just a hunch. I really hope so. This would be such a great step for the young man and it might give the current humdrum sport a shot in the arm.
                      don_budge

Comment

Alcaraz has a massive Sinner lookalike forehand and he has superb feel on his drop shot.

Comment

Alcaraz has a massive Sinner lookalike forehand and he has superb feel on his drop shot.
                          I missed the match entirely. There are going to be many more opportunities to watch this kid in the future. What a shame and missed opportunity here for him to get his feet wet in the finals of a tournament.
                          don_budge

Comment

Take your pick...Pablo Carreno Busta vs. Jaume Munar in at the Andalucia Open or Laslo Djere vs. Lorenzo Sonego at the Sardegna Open. Both dismal prospects for any self respecting tennis aficionado. Dismal prospects both in terms of viewing pleasure. Not one iota of "watchability" or style appeal. Just droning on and on and on and on...you get the picture. On to Monte Carlo. Nothing to see here.
                            don_budge

Comment

Take your pick...Pablo Carreno Busta vs. Jaume Munar in at the Andalucia Open or Laslo Djere vs. Lorenzo Sonego at the Sardegna Open. Both dismal prospects for any self respecting tennis aficionado. Dismal prospects both in terms of viewing pleasure. Not one iota of "watchability" or style appeal. Just droning on and on and on and on...you get the picture. On to Monte Carlo. Nothing to see here.
                              All I know is Bernard lost 2nd round of qualies, dammit. He gave it a good go, but lost 6-0 in 2nd set.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2766 users online. 6 members and 2760 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X