Spin and Velocity Data for ATP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin and Velocity Data for ATP

SInce a graphic on shot topsin rates in a post on Tsitsipas drew some attention, I thought it might be of broader interest. This is a data pull for all top 100 ranked players at the Miami Open. I dug up the older, 2018 graphic to include the Big 3 for perspective and also to show some trends. Since 2018 was the last "regular" year it has more data to smooth out weekly variances. And got a graphic on groundstroke speed for the same group. And, no, I'm not ignoring the women, it's simply that the WTA sadly doesn't share this kind of data {or at least I can't find it} even though Hawkeye collects it. So, there are three graphics here.

This is data from Tennis TV and/or theATP website, pulled by a Physics PhD and tennis fan, that goes by nom-du-web of Vestige du Jour posting largely in kanji.

Key: The plot is of average forehand topspin in RPMs on the bottom, vs average backhand topspin in RPMs on the left. Color of dots corresponds to ranking groups listed at the top of the chart. Names shaded in yellow have one-hander backhands

filedata/fetch?id=93284&d=1617817029&type=thumb

Stefanos Tsitsipas arguably hits some of the heaviest balls, combined, off both sides -- despite having controversial, retro, neutral grips.

Felix Auger-Aliassime has significantly increased his spin off both sides from 2018 data. Not surprising since he's grown to 6 ft 4, I believe {P.S. Rafa's uncle and former coach Toni Nadal announced today he is joining FAA's team as uber-coach}. And, as is usually the case, one-handed backhands dominate the high RPM end. So, we see Tsitsi, Shap, Grigor and Musetti high up. Medvedev (lower right red dot) in a very successful outlier.

Sinner is slightly to the right of middle 3100/2050 about in red. Korda 2800/1900 ish middle yellow.

For perspective, 2018 averages for the year had Rafa and Thiem almost identical at 3,200 / 2,450. Fed at 2,850/ 2,250, Novak 2,675 / 1,800 (all done by eyeballing this and the chart, not looking up precise numbers). Fabio Fognini at sub 6 feet with a forehand takeback of about 1 inch (exaggerating) averaged the same topspin as Raga. His countryman Matteo Berrettini has a monster forehand since he and Ruud have the most spin, but the Italian has a lot more velocity. {What we need is a data cube with speed on the third axis.}

While we tend to be obsessed with more-is-better, flat strokes can be an advantage as the likes of Medvedev, Roberto Bautista-Agut and the Miami Open men's winner Hubert Hurkacz are showing.

filedata/fetch?id=93285&d=1617904136&type=thumb

And here is speed. That's not enlarged right. Let me try it in a second comment.

filedata/fetch?id=93286&d=1617904145&type=thumb
    Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 04-08-2021, 09:51 AM.

And here is the speed graphic, again top 100 ranked players that were in Miami Open, ATP only.

filedata/fetch?id=93290&d=1617904370&type=thumb
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi, do you know how to have the raw data of it in an excel file ?

Comment

ATP doesn't make it easy to get, unfortunately. This was painstakingly dredged out of both ATP second screen and Tennis TV stats.

You might as the author of this graphic who is on twitter as @Vestige_du_jour , as labelled on the graphic.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
          ATP doesn't make it easy to get, unfortunately. This was painstakingly dredged out of both ATP second screen and Tennis TV stats.

You might as the author of this graphic who is on twitter as @Vestige_du_jour , as labelled on the graphic.

Good luck.
          I really enjoyed seeing the groundstrokes spin rates on TennisTV, which used to be provided at the end of sets and matches, but for some unknown reason they have just stopped doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

I really enjoyed seeing the groundstrokes spin rates on TennisTV, which used to be provided at the end of sets and matches, but for some unknown reason they have just stopped doing it.
            As every other, major sport continues to provide more and more data to fans, tennis seems to be cutting back. Frustrating and illogical. It's not as if the various organizations aren't already paying to collect it, and had the apps written to report it.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

You can occasionally get that data now, not as averages but for individual shots.

It's available for Torino aka Turin. Go to results on the ATP site, click on a score, chose 'court vision', then "winners" then click on any dot showing where a winner landed to get spin, velocity, height. Ton of data but so much work.
              In this example, Medvedev hit a winner from no man's land at 3.6 feet high that was 206 Km/H or 128 MPH and pretty flat at 1,258 rpm. The earliest version of this a year ago or more stated the shot type, i.e. forehand, volley etc. But they dropped that.

filedata/fetch?id=99105&d=1668720945&type=thumb
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              Last edited by jimlosaltos; 11-17-2022, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jim, I hope at some point TennisTV starts giving the spin rates info again. It is an interesting stat.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8109 users online. 5 members and 8104 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X