Tennis Scouting Cell Phone Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennis Scouting Cell Phone Apps

Attached is a link for U.S. junior basketball players to submit video NBA approved skills, fitness, and anthropometric measurement tests via a cell phone app. Are there similar ATP, ITF or other tennis governing body approved tests for scouting purposes? If so, can someone send me a link? If there is no equivalent governing body approved tests for screening for tennis scouts, perhaps a discussion thread can start here. ( Those type of science validated tests are hard to produce).

Just go do the test they do for the NBA lol - what kid can't play basketball at a decent level. I can - Don Budge can play - look at what the NBA thinks of your speed/movement without the ball or jumping ability. Whatever - sign up.

Theoretically speaking there are no tennis scouts - you need to go to a tournament and beat everyone and beat who is in front of you. And if you are a good athlete - there are not many in front of you. Maybe 500 good players in the world. Ain't no one telling you shit in the world of tennis either as its such a small world. Good luck getting Roger's numbers or having him agree to do a combine testing.
    Last edited by tenniscoach1; 04-14-2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Tennis coach1: You make a pretty good point. I suppose if a kid has innate athletic and skill ability and beats everyone in tournaments, then there really is no need for teachers, coaches and scouts and a kid can get to the top 500 on his own. Most young skilled and athletic kids are not going to play tennis anyway because there is little money in it.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
        Tennis coach1: You make a pretty good point.

Thanks!

I suppose if a kid has innate athletic and skill ability and beats everyone in tournaments, then there really is no need for teachers, coaches and scouts and a kid can get to the top 500 on his own.

No, no - you need the coaches!

The scouts - hell - have the kid send a resume and call the coach and go and play a match with the coach or one of his players.

I hate sports advisors/agents in general - almost as much as I hate money managers. It amazes me all these guys wanting to give me financial advice - how much money do they have in their bank account? Truth be told they should probably shut up and listen to me. The tennis associations - they should be listening to the coaches that are producing the best players. But - that never happens. The Russian sports federation did not listen to Anatoli Tarasov and Yuri Verkhoshansky - go figure - the lack of computing math cost them big time in the 1972 hockey summit series against Canada when they switched to the "lovable coaches handpicked by the association" that turned out didn't know the science of peaking an athlete for an eight game event properly.

Bad training causes a lot of lost matches doesn't it?

Most young skilled and athletic kids are not going to play tennis anyway because there is little money in it.

Isn't that a shame!
        Now, to the apps! Useless. I suggest - get a college basketball player - hire him to run drills against your tennis player. They proved monkey's can imitate human's long ago - so, that means your tennis players will get faster being next to a NFL or NBA or MMA or UFC prospects, focusing and doing as they do to get better. Working out the athlete is important - but, you can also build receptors that will make them bigger and faster by putting them in an environment where they understand limitations do not apply and by forced focused watching. Watching Bo Jackson run is as effective as doing a set for an athlete that really has the focus. And, guess what the good ones do have those pathways - they mentally create it. Take for example Westside Barbell - they get the best powerlifters in the world at one place - and when they are amongst each-other they push push push. Now, culture is important as well - and Westside culture is there is only room for one number one. So, everyone is pushing to hit that number one level as they basically have 30 guys that all think they are the man and have a hard time dealing with the fact they are not the man. Some don't have the genetic potential and blow out, and many do not have that mental ability to do it which is very big in an individual sport.
        Last edited by tenniscoach1; 04-15-2021, 04:15 AM.

Comment

I agree with you. But another concern not mentioned here is this would increase the divide between the haves and have-nots. A lot of players can't afford to have a coach with them all the time so would presumably be yet another disadvantage that the low-ranked player faces.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8342 users online. 8 members and 8334 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X