BNP Indian Wells, Laver Cup In Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BNP Indian Wells, Laver Cup In Fall

Indian Wells, aka BNP Paribas Open has only said it will be held in "October", more later. One rumor is that Larry Ellison hopes that, if the Asian swing is cancelled or limited, he can slip into the slot held by Shanghai's Masters 1000 event, ~October 10th.

The Laver Cup, will have "full seating" at the Boston TD Garden.

Here is the ATP update:
    https://www.atptour.com/en/news/atp-...r-updates-2021

There is no update on the WTA site. Note that the WTA is in a sticky position, since it generates, by some accounts, 50% of its revenue from the Asian swing. Losing that two years in a row would be crippling.

Indian Wells Message:
    The 2021 event will be played in October, with exact tournament dates to be announced after the confirmation of the fall calendar by the ATP and WTA Tours.

The BNP Paribas Open intends to allow patrons on-site for the event, and we anticipate ticket, suite and hotel packages to be on sale starting June 21st. The tournament will enforce all protocols established by the ATP and WTA Tours, as well as the City of Indian Wells and Riverside County Public Health Department, to ensure the safety of our players, fans and officials.

Laver Cup

https://lavercup.com/

We are pleased to inform Laver Cup fans that TD Garden has received permission from their state and local government to operate all events without gathering limits starting May 29th.

As a result, Laver Cup 2021 will be staged at 100% capacity as planned from September 24-26, 2021.

The Laver Cup does nothing for me. I just can't buy into the hype.

Indian Wells on the other hand is a terrific event. I like everything about it. The venue seems very spacious and has a manicured look about it. For me, it's about the next event down from the slams along with the World Tour Finals. I always look forward to Indian Wells.
    Stotty

Comment

Laver Cup is all hype, no substance. No one will ever be talking about who played great tennis at Laver Cup. The reality TV of tennis.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        Laver Cup is all hype, no substance. No one will ever be talking about who played great tennis at Laver Cup. The reality TV of tennis.
        You've got a point.. Not for everyone. But I took a group to the Laver Cup in Chicago and we all absolutely loved it. Great energy. Great play. Great format. Much better run than some ATP / WTA tournaments IMHO. Filled United Center with ~20,000 yelling, applauding, happy tennis fans. Level of competition was intense.

Tangentially, Team8 is also taking pro tennis to large markets the ATP and USTA are failing to serve. Filled United Center (20,000?) for Laver Cup and San Jose arena (17,000) for Match 4 Africa., markets the ATP says are too small to support events. ATP canceled the longest-running event in Western US at San Jose arena because "audience wasn't big enough". Yet M4 drew 17,000.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
          The Laver Cup does nothing for me. I just can't buy into the hype.

Indian Wells on the other hand is a terrific event. I like everything about it. The venue seems very spacious and has a manicured look about it. For me, it's about the next event down from the slams along with the World Tour Finals. I always look forward to Indian Wells.
          Indian Wells is my favorite event to attend. Far more accessible than easy to get around than the US Open. I hope it doesn't become a victim of its own success. Prices have, what doubled in 3-4 years? Hotel rooms not only getting harder to find, but also more expensive. Got my renewal notice, but lacks details. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
            You've got a point.. Not for everyone. But I took a group to the Laver Cup in Chicago and we all absolutely loved it. Great energy. Great play. Great format. Much better run than some ATP / WTA tournaments IMHO. Filled United Center with ~20,000 yelling, applauding, happy tennis fans. Level of competition was intense.

Tangentially, Team8 is also taking pro tennis to large markets the ATP and USTA are failing to serve. Filled United Center (20,000?) for Laver Cup and San Jose arena (17,000) for Match 4 Africa., markets the ATP says are too small to support events. ATP canceled the longest-running event in Western US at San Jose arena because "audience wasn't big enough". Yet M4 drew 17,000.
            The "herd" hated it in this thread. I alone saw any redeeming qualities in it. The name alone is awesome. LAVER CUP. That sounds like a regular riot...taking a group to Chicago. It's a very, very good thing that they are holding this event in 2021. A sign that the world is collectively pulling their heads out of their collective ass. I was very disappointed in Indian Wells being the first major venue to shut down due to a couple of cases of a virtually unknown "virus" in 2020. It is going to take the world a long, long time to return to normal. Like forever. Like never. Ladies and Germs...meet 5G and the vaccine. Does anybody know what time it is? (Chicago Transit Authority...1969)

https://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...2072-laver-cup

don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Indian Wells is my favorite event to attend. Far more accessible than easy to get around than the US Open. I hope it doesn't become a victim of its own success. Prices have, what doubled in 3-4 years? Hotel rooms not only getting harder to find, but also more expensive. Got my renewal notice, but lacks details. Fingers crossed.
              I have long thought Cincinnati is the best bang for the buck tournament, particularly on the first 4 days of the tournament starting on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

The "herd" hated it in this thread. I alone saw any redeeming qualities in it. The name alone is awesome. LAVER CUP. That sounds like a regular riot...taking a group to Chicago. It's a very, very good thing that they are holding this event in 2021. A sign that the world is collectively pulling their heads out of their collective ass. I was very disappointed in Indian Wells being the first major venue to shut down due to a couple of cases of a virtually unknown "virus" in 2020. It is going to take the world a long, long time to return to normal. Like forever. Like never. Ladies and Germs...meet 5G and the vaccine. Does anybody know what time it is? (Chicago Transit Authority...1969)

https://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...2072-laver-cup

https://stateofthenation.co/?p=66082
                To each his own. Different formats provide variety. I still remember seeing Bjorn Borg coaching Fed and Zverev in doubles. Then at another LC match, hearing on Amazon Prime, Rafa coaching Fed on how to come from behind against Kyrgios mid match. Awesome! No other tennis event can provide that. Oh, and anyone who thinks this is an exo where players don't try should have seen players consoling a sobbing Kyrgios after Fed took the tiebreak.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2424 users online. 7 members and 2417 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X