Sun damage and tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun damage and tennis

Brad Gilbert and Craig O'Shannessy are posting about their own experiences with face surgery due to skin damage from the sun. They're trying to raise awareness for other tennis players. Worth a thought.

https://twitter.com/BrainGameTennis/...72162240049158

filedata/fetch?id=93928&d=1622313477&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 05-29-2021, 10:40 AM.

I know how they feel. I had a biopsy last week on skin damage on the tip of my right ear. Still waiting for the result. Fingers crossed. I have had two biopsies on my lip a few years ago which came up negative, though lost a fair chunk of my lower lip in the process. I have spent my whole life outdoors so what can I expect. No one used sun cream here 30 years ago. In fact, people (not me) used to buy oil to burn themselves quicker! How dumb was that!
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
      I know how they feel. I had a biopsy last week on skin damage on the tip of my right ear. Still waiting for the result. Fingers crossed. I have had two biopsies on my lip a few years ago which came up negative, though lost a fair chunk of my lower lip in the process. I have spent my whole life outdoors so what can I expect. No one used sun cream here 30 years ago. In fact, people (not me) used to buy oil to burn themselves quicker! How dumb was that!
      Good luck, Stotty! The news is that doctors are getting better at surgery, if it's needed, witness Brad and Craig's experience.

And, I'm also old enough to remember driving to Florida on spring break stunned to see Daytona Beach, Speedo gods oiling themselves to turn brown black like over-cooked turkeys at Thanksgiving.

Comment

I've had two of those mohs surgeries myself. Not my favorite way to spend a couple of hours...

Comment

Phil Mickelson is an example of how these problems can, with today's medicine, be treated before they advance far enough to require surgery. One reason Phil was wearing the fancy sunglasses (from Taipei) that got so much attention, was that he had a skin treatment that kills pre-cancerous cells. Just apply, takes a couple of weeks (putting up with a bunch of red dots if you've got skin damage that needs treatment), and the bad cells die off. I had that treatment, although with a different medication than Phil. Worked.

So ... see your dermatologist BEFORE it gets serious and they can do something.

"He said he began using Carac cream, "a skin cancer chemotherapy treatment on your face for like two weeks." It blotches the skin, Mickelson said, and kills cancer cells that you cannot see (it wasn't made clear from the interview whether Mickelson has some form of cancer or not,?

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
            Well, my biopsy result turned out to be a skin condition with and awfully long and unpronounceable name, but not related to sun damage. Looks like I will live to fight a few more fiver setters yet...
            Stotty

Comment

My MMA fighters always comment on this when they come to tennis courts - (1) why do they train in hot sun, (2) why don't they train at 445 am like my athletes or early in evening, (3) why do they always train with no shirt, (4) do they not understand sports performance is bad at 11 to 4 pm training in sun, (5) why are many of them not training in compression gear etc etc and (6) why are they all one athletes and (7) why are they training the wrong energy systems? You want to find out whats wrong with USA Tennis? Send the UFC and powerlifters like Louie Simmons to practices and they will see it immediately. Send the nba guys to show them jumping and love of balling, the nfl guys for rate of force production and you’ll get better quick. I had a bad ass MMA fighters a few years ago and it was 10 pm to 2 am training and physio between 2/3 am - his wife called me on it and said it was bullshit till I explained to the young lady in the past year he got a side girl pregnant, one car crash, bar fights, late night internet etc etc - and she agreed with it after she truly thought it through it was brilliant. No woman groupies around either, no fan boys, other coaches etc - few downsides but in general worked well.
              Last edited by tenniscoach1; 06-12-2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

The sun is not your friend ...

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                  Phil Mickelson is an example of how these problems can, with today's medicine, be treated before they advance far enough to require surgery. One reason Phil was wearing the fancy sunglasses (from Taipei) that got so much attention, was that he had a skin treatment that kills pre-cancerous cells. Just apply, takes a couple of weeks (putting up with a bunch of red dots if you've got skin damage that needs treatment), and the bad cells die off. I had that treatment, although with a different medication than Phil. Worked.

So ... see your dermatologist BEFORE it gets serious and they can do something.

"He said he began using Carac cream, "a skin cancer chemotherapy treatment on your face for like two weeks." It blotches the skin, Mickelson said, and kills cancer cells that you cannot see (it wasn't made clear from the interview whether Mickelson has some form of cancer or not,?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...na6hnH7Qe_h_BE
                  Jim - dumb question - who the hell are you and what is your background? You seem like you’ve been through a few rodeos?

Comment

Originally posted by tenniscoach1 View Post

Jim - dumb question - who the hell are you and what is your background? You seem like you’ve been through a few rodeos?
                    Hah! Who am I? That's a tough one. I'll skip to the second question. Bit of a serial entrepreneur. Retired several years ago from a publishing company I founded that focused on how-to information for software developers. Think of it as Click-and-Clack or Martha Stewart but for people that write business application software. Did absolutely great. Inc. Magazine fastest 500 companies two years -- until 9/11. One of our conferences was about to be held in the NY Marriott that collapsed. Airports closed tends to decrease attendance at conferences (which drove most of our cash flow), as much as the hotels collapsing. They don't teach that in business school. Spent 5 years building it back up to cover the senior debt and then escaped A few rodeos indeed. Occasionally I get to ride on top of the bull instead of underfoot <g>. Thanks for asking

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 6098 users online. 10 members and 6088 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X