Maximizing the Player Coach Relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximizing the Player Coach Relationship

Let's get your thoughts on Kyle LaCroix's article, "Maximizing the Player Coach Relationship"

This is exactly what Lansdorp says that an academy never produced a good player. It comes down to coach and player.

I have tried a bunch of different coaches with my daughter. Even ones that I thought were pretty good. The best one, so far, just gets her. My daughter says she always feels so confident when she has a lesson with him.

I have tried to incorporate some of his methods when I hit with her too.

Coaching in tennis is an art. Kyle's article shows us how it requires people to open up about themselves. To relate to each other. They can start out with completely opposite styles but if they are both committed to making the player the best, great things can happen.

Kyle, you showed us the most important part of coaching, is to give up a little bit of ourselves for a common good.

If only people did this in their everyday lives more...

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
      This is exactly what Lansdorp says that an academy never produced a good player. It comes down to coach and player.

I have tried a bunch of different coaches with my daughter. Even ones that I thought were pretty good. The best one, so far, just gets her. My daughter says she always feels so confident when she has a lesson with him.

I have tried to incorporate some of his methods when I hit with her too.

Coaching in tennis is an art. Kyle's article shows us how it requires people to open up about themselves. To relate to each other. They can start out with completely opposite styles but if they are both committed to making the player the best, great things can happen.

Kyle, you showed us the most important part of coaching, is to give up a little bit of ourselves for a common good.

If only people did this in their everyday lives more...
      Arturo,

Thanks for your post. You hit the nail on the head when it comes to the player-coach connection. There is a part two coming up that takes a deeper dive so don't miss it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA, PTR
      Delray Beach
      SETS Consulting

Comment

Kyle: Great article, especially on your emphasis on customizing feedback! It takes work and interest by the coach to carefully select specific language, intensity level and distribution patterns of feedback tailored to the individual.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
          Kyle: Great article, especially on your emphasis on customizing feedback! It takes work and interest by the coach to carefully select specific language, intensity level and distribution patterns of feedback tailored to the individual.
          doctorhl,

I appreciate the response and so glad you liked it. This article was just part 1. Based on your comments, I believe that you will thoroughly enjoy Part 2.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA,PTR
          Delray Beach
          SETS Consulting

Comment

Nice article, Kyle. I am no stranger to the subject myself. Great to see SETS is going well. Not that success was ever in doubt with those who know you on the forum.

I will tell you a true story:

I know girl, a good player, who secretly split away from her regular coach to have some lessons from someone else, a coach who is a friend of mine. The reason? She just wanted to hear an opinion from another angle and even be taught the same things but in different way. She wanted a change. She wanted to hear different cues and a different perspective. She went back to her regular coach because she was so uncomfortable about voicing her honest opinion.

David Emery, a former Olympic hurdler, wrote a book about creating world-class athletes. In the book he defined the most important factors in the development of an elite athlete were: honesty (as in being honest with yourself) and family (a committed and well-orgainsed family being paramount).

I can empathise with the girl wanting change and to hear things from a different angle. Coaches have different cues and some athletes respond well to some cues and not others…sometimes they even misunderstand cues because of a miscommunication. That's why it's important to make sure the student has understood what you have asked and to get them to explain it back to you.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
              Nice article, Kyle. I am no stranger to the subject myself. Great to see SETS is going well. Not that success was ever in doubt with those who know you on the forum.

I know girl, a good player, who secretly split away from her regular coach to have some lessons from someone else, a coach who is a friend of mine. The reason? She just wanted to hear an opinion from another angle and even be taught the same things but in different way. She wanted a change. She wanted to hear different cues and a different perspective. She went back to her regular coach because she was so uncomfortable about voicing her honest opinion.

David Emery, a former Olympic hurdler, wrote a book about creating world-class athletes. In the book he defined the most important factors in the development of an elite athlete were: honesty (as in being honest with yourself) and family (a committed and well-orgainsed family being paramount).

I can empathise with the girl wanting change and to hear things from a different angle. Coaches have different cues and some athletes respond well to some cues and not others…sometimes they even misunderstand cues because of a miscommunication. That's why it's important to make sure the student has understood what you have asked and to get them to explain it back to you.

Totally agree. I think players need to hear numerous voices and look for whatever will make them better. Ultimately, the player is the one who has to decide what works best and the coach has to do whatever is necessary to get them that. Sometimes that means stepping back.

Lansdorp's goal was always to make players independent thinkers. That is why he is such a great coach.

Comment

In 2019 my company SETS Consulting did a study in conjunction with Stanford University. We interviewed 98 male and female professional and collegiate athletes that had all played under championship coaches.

Can you upload a copy of this study please that is referenced in the article for us to fact check it please?

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Great story Scotty. Thank you for sharing that and your openness. Communication and feedback is a two way street. Both parties must be willing and open to share and receive.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA, PTR
                  Delray Beach
                  SETS Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by tenniscoach1 View Post
                    In 2019 my company SETS Consulting did a study in conjunction with Stanford University. We interviewed 98 male and female professional and collegiate athletes that had all played under championship coaches.

Can you upload a copy of this study please that is referenced in the article for us to fact check it please?
                    Hi tenniscoach1, or hockeyscout? Or whomever you currently identify as . Glad to see you back on the forum. I would love to share my study with anyone that would like to read it! Obviously it's academic in nature and numerous pages so content is a bit dry and would be a buzzkill to this great thread. However if you send me a private message with your email address I am happy to send it to you and anyone else that is interested . I also think you'll be satisfied with Part 2 of this series.

Thanks so much tenniscoach1 for your interest. Looking forward to your message.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA, PTR
                    Delray Beach
                    SETS Consulting

Comment

Send it to hockeyscoutingca@hotmail.com ...

Comment

Thanks - and I think everyone would love to see it as well - your not a real coach if your not looking at the background information and asking questions. Lots of con-men have come through these boards over the years - like How The Tennis Gods Move, old 10nsciach ripped him apart like a shark smelling blood and then the guy trying to peddle his dumb psychology that got his ass ripped apart here and left crying like a baby ... at least the new guy with the vision technique looks like he will hold up to the barrage of questions he should be getting! Some people think its nasty - but, you gotta protect your athletes from the smooth talking sales pitch in this game and get to the bottom of what everyone knows and if they are uncomfortable screw em! I see guys that are ex-pro athletes and millionaire businessmen who do the shittiest jobs of vetting coaches, scam academies and in the end the kids screwed, injured and never got the right info because they bought it hook, line and sinker. My mom used to have these Jehovah witnesses come to the door and you’d be amazed at how she’d tear them to threads and expose their lack of knowledge. Tyson is Tyson cause he knows his shit, mayweather is money for a reason / you only get good if you decipher better than the rest.
                        Last edited by tenniscoach1; 06-12-2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Those who are legitimate are not threatened by scrutiny or transparency. Reasonable skepticism is not the enemy of truth, whether in politics or sport.

Comment

Perfect! Just saw your message now. Slammed on courts. Thanks for email. Expect it in your inbox by end of the day once I'm off court. I appreciate it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA, PTR
                            Delray Beach, FL
                            SETS Consulting

Comment

Thanks - and I think everyone would love to see it as well - your not a real coach if your not looking at the background information and asking questions. Lots of con-men have come through these boards over the years - like How The Tennis Gods Move, old 10nsciach ripped him apart like a shark smelling blood and then the guy trying to peddle his dumb psychology that got his ass ripped apart here and left crying like a baby ... at least the new guy with the vision technique looks like he will hold up to the barrage of questions he should be getting! Some people think its nasty - but, you gotta protect your athletes from the smooth talking sales pitch in this game and get to the bottom of what everyone knows and if they are uncomfortable screw em! I see guys that are ex-pro athletes and millionaire businessmen who do the shittiest jobs of vetting coaches, scam academies and in the end the kids screwed, injured and never got the right info because they bought it hook, line and sinker. My mom used to have these Jehovah witnesses come to the door and you’d be amazed at how she’d tear them to threads and expose their lack of knowledge. Tyson is Tyson cause he knows his shit, mayweather is money for a reason / you only get good if you decipher better than the rest.
                              I agree! More than happy to share.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA, PTR
                              Delray Beach, FL
                              SETS Consulting

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2797 users online. 4 members and 2793 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X