2021 Noventi Open...ATP 500...Halle, Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Noventi Open...ATP 500...Halle, Germany

Lo and behold...it is another tournament featuring the once and future King. Roger Federer. Federer in the house changes everything. The air went out of the tournament at the French Open when Roger took a powder. Everyone oohing and ahhing over the tennis as if these were some kind of iconic matches. The fact of the matter it was dull and it is going down hill. The same thirty something crowd is still on top of the heap. It is a matter of time but it wasn't time yet. I have never seen the top players playing the "moon ball" so frequently. Like the ladies and the juniors do. It is all the same now. At least on the clay.

But here we are on some honest to goodness turf. Well...that is not necessarily true either. It is some kind of hybrid grass cooked up in a Wuhan laboratory. Wait a minute...I was confused there. It was the "virus" that was supposedly cooked up there. I don't believe that either. It is too convenient. But anyways...the grass is always greener now because it is as near to fake grass as it gets. It is more like some kind of velcro. Remember when three of the four majors were played on grass. Slick and fast. Those were the days...trust me on this one. These guys in the modern game would be first round fodder under the old conditions. Not a single one of them has any inkling about how to serve and volley. We are about to witness how much the game has actually devolved with all of the engineering and the ego wrangling.

This is such an ironic moment. Roger is back at a tournament where he has won umpteen times. But looking at the draw it is going to be interesting. Experience is a huge factor in this game...to a point. To the point where the legs won't zip your carcass around the court any longer. Is Roger there? The question marks certainly are there. His withdrawal from the French cost him a few Brownie points in certain circles. Not mind of course. I think he had to protect the surgery on the knee. There wasn't any abuse of privilege. He entered the tournament in good faith and he did his best. The knee was talking to him. Don't do it...don't do it, it was pleading. You have to listen to your body. That comes with experience.

Normally the first couple of days are only "foreplay" before we get to the meat of the tourney. But whenever Roger is in the house it fills a void. The drama is built into the draw sheet from the very first match. You could longingly project a Federer vs. Tsitsipas final if you smoked enough. After a couple of stiff ones. But it is one match at a time. One set at a time. One game and point at a time. The irony of the situation is sizzling. The question marks surrounding Roger lit up like neon signs.

Ladies and Germs...without further ado. I present to you...Roger Federer and the supporting cast of characters.

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Roger Federer vs. Ilya Ivashka...First Round Foder

Ilya Ivashka is ranked approximately #80 in the world in mens singles and Roger Federer just dispatched him 7-6, 7-5 to move into the second round. Interesting enough...when the match came down to the critical stages in both the first and second sets Roger used the slice backhand almost exclusively. Per normal. A nice performance by Federer who has won this tournament 10 times.

Remember...from here on out all roads lead to Wimbledon.
    don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      Roger Federer vs. Ilya Ivashka...First Round Foder

Ilya Ivashka is ranked approximately #80 in the world in mens singles and Roger Federer just dispatched him 7-6, 7-5 to move into the second round. Interesting enough...when the match came down to the critical stages in both the first and second sets Roger used the slice backhand almost exclusively. Per normal. A nice performance by Federer who has won this tournament 10 times.

Remember...from here on out all roads lead to Wimbledon.
      I am joining this thread early to see if I can comment on things as they move along. Just saw the highlights. The slice is supreme in setting up all that Federer likes to do. It's too bad that there are no surfaces left that are fast enough for it to matter.

He seems to be moving well and definitely seemed clinical in his attacks.

Is Fed kind of walking funny or has he always walked like that?

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

I am joining this thread early to see if I can comment on things as they move along. Just saw the highlights. The slice is supreme in setting up all that Federer likes to do. It's too bad that there are no surfaces left that are fast enough for it to matter.

He seems to be moving well and definitely seemed clinical in his attacks.

Is Fed kind of walking funny or has he always walked like that?
        A perfect first round for Roger to get into the flow of the tournament. Didn't you once post that you had been to Halle? I think I remember you mentioning that it sounded like a horse when Federer was moving around. His feet impacting the ground. Ilya Ivashka took a set off of Nadal during the clay court swing and has been playing some really good tennis recently. But he is no grass court player and the slice completely took him out of his comfort zone. Roger has been walking that way for a few years now. Sort of ambles around the court like he is no particular hurry. Then again his recent knee surgeries could have affected his gait as well.

don_budge

Comment

Seb Korda blasts his way through Roberto Bautista-Agut. Korda is going to run into somebody in the top heavy part of the draw.
          don_budge

Comment

Struff just took out Medvedev looking like the better tennis player in doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

A perfect first round for Roger to get into the flow of the tournament. Didn't you once post that you had been to Halle? I think I remember you mentioning that it sounded like a horse when Federer was moving around. His feet impacting the ground. Ilya Ivashka took a set off of Nadal during the clay court swing and has been playing some really good tennis recently. But he is no grass court player and the slice completely took him out of his comfort zone. Roger has been walking that way for a few years now. Sort of ambles around the court like he is no particular hurry. Then again his recent knee surgeries could have affected his gait as well.
              I saw him play Khachanov 3 years ago in the semis. Federer's feet were much louder than I expected. The speed and movement has its costs. Just ask his knees.

Next up is FAA. A very talented player who I think has all the skills to reach the top. But on grass, I expect that pretty much no young player will be good these days.

The old guard has way too much practice for the next gen to win.

Comment

Wow - did anyone else just see that? Federer vs FAA, 3-3, 30 all, FAA serving, Fed just played two amazing points to break.

Comment

Fed doesn't look that great movement wise. It seems to me particularly noticeable in his walk gait. It is hard for me to imagine him going deep at Wimbledon. FAA is a top shelf talent. He could beat anyone. A tough draw for Fed here.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                    Fed doesn't look that great movement wise. It seems to me particularly noticeable in his walk gait. It is hard for me to imagine him going deep at Wimbledon. FAA is a top shelf talent. He could beat anyone. A tough draw for Fed here.
                    I thought he was walking funny. Fed seems odd when he is walking these days. As if his legs were stiff and he cannot walk smoothly.

FAA pulled it out. At this point, I actually think that Fed is playing and training for a year from now. I know he will be a year older but I just cannot see him being able to compete at the highest level yet. According to his trainer, they had to rebuild him from the ground up because he had lost so much muscle.

It will take more fitness and training to get him back where he was. Then he will need match play.

He will be close to 40, but I could see him giving it one more go in 2022, if he feels healthy.

Maybe he and Nadal should play some doubles. It was a joke a few years ago, but it would be nice to see them win a tournament together and then for Fed to retire at the award ceremony standing next to his doubles partner, Nadal.

We would all watch it!

Comment

In Fed's words ...

filedata/fetch?id=94361&d=1623871260&type=thumb
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                        I like it.

Comment

I'm always trying to decipher the reality of things. It isn't always as it appears to be. It isn't always what has been said...it is often about what hasn't been said. Novak Djokovic has it down to a tee. Basically he gives you this "limp leg" routine and then suddenly he is in your face pounding you into next week. Just ask Rafael Nadal and Stefanos Tsitsipas. That being said there are some questions about the stamina of Federer. But we do have some recent activity to try and determine where exactly he is at physically. I don't seriously believe that next year is on his mind. Clearly...he states that Wimbledon is the goal. He is merely doing due deligence here on himself really. Trying to gage where he is at and if I am not mistaken he is satisfied with what he sees.

In his debut in Dubai he played some rather scintillating tennis against his practice partner at the time, Daniel Evans. They played a match that deep into the third set and Roger still had enough in the tank to bring home the bacon. 7-5 in the third. Then the next day he had to play Basilashvili, aka "The Basher", and he took the first set then seemed to let it go without much of a struggle. He was not concerned with a win at this point but wanted to see how his body would react after extending himself fully the day before. Considering that he took the first set he was somewhat ready to go but decided not to push it. For what? A win over Basilashvili wasn't much of a payoff but knowing what he could do at that point was the acid test. He still had enough to give it a bit of a fight in the third set. That was good enough for Roger.

Then again in Geneva he had a similar match up against Pablo Andujar. He had split sets and had a lead going in the third and then again...he let it go. Showing up in Paris was a huge barometer as to where he was at and if I am not mistaken he had to be pretty pleased with his performance there. A spotless match against Istomin and then a rock fest against Marin Cilic complete with a Oscar worthy performance about the shot clock. A nice four set victory against Cilic followed up by another four set win over Koepfer. Koepfer had a pretty comfortable win over #33 ranked Taylor Fritz in the round before so using the associative property we get a pretty clear picture where Federer stood when he defaulted. We don't know if he could have battled the big balling Matteo Berrittini. He may or may not have been able to raise himself to that occasion but I believe that he had found out what he needed to know against his previous opponents. Should he meet Matteo at Wimbledon it would be my guess he wouldn't be backing down.

At Halle in the first round Roger once again put it to the test and he got some good feedback where his game stood on the turf. Against Felix Auger-Aliassime he won the first set somewhat comfortably and then seemed to pack it in. Again...if the theory plays out he is just taking his temperature to see how he is going to react at Wimbledon. He knows what is going to be demanded of him at Wimbledon. He has been through it so many times. Much like Djokovic did at the French. He didn't win that tournament by luck. He more or less played the whole thing by numbers. Calculating what his opponents had...and how much they had to give before they ran out of gas. That was some kind of experience he used to make his way to the top of the food chain in Paris.

So it is all speculation at this point. But a lot will depend upon his draw and not being a top seed he is more than likely face an existential test earlier rather than later. It is back to the drawing board as he and his team try to engineer a path to Wimbledon and into the draw there. It will be fascinating and like Paris...Wimbledon will be a better place for him being there.
                          don_budge

Comment

Like Don Budge, I am trying to see what he did not say. I agree that he looked to not be trying that hard. It kind of reminded me a lot of the video of his match with Rafter in 1999. He seems to not care and just be going through the motions. He is distracted and not really concentrating.

I think his leg is not 100%. To me he is walking funny. And sometimes he just doesn't move the way he would like. I saw Rafa doing a similar thing at the RG. Nadal just seemed to kind of suddenly jerk away in a motion as if something was sore or hurting him. Then he drops out of Wimbledon.

I really hope I am wrong but he just does not look 100%. It might be his knee or his muscles.

He has never saved himself for Wimbledon before. The last times he was flying out of the gates. He basically destroyed Zverev in the Halle final and then went on to win Wimbledon.

Champions are primed on feeling they are unbeatable. On beating back the odds and playing the best under pressure.

Fed does not have the look of a champion physically. I would be very surprised if he makes a deep run at Wimbledon.

I am rooting for him to win number 21. Again, I hope I am wrong.

Comment

2 good matches tomorrow, Bash vs Rublev in a slugfest and FAA vs Ugo Humbert. Rublev loves to slug but if Bash is on, he almost stands alone there. FAA is certainly due for a title in a 500, but it won't come easy.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8078 users online. 8 members and 8070 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X