X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arturohernandez
    replied
    Originally posted by don_budge View Post

I believe that I advised you to emphasise physical training to your girl a while back. From watching her videos it looked as if she grasped the concepts of the strokes but physically was not fully capable of pulling it off. Not to mention increasing her appetite for a competitive situation which enhanced physical conditioning might contribute to. At any rate...this sounds like a perfect situation and such a wonderful experience outside of her "comfort zone" culture. Crossing cultural lines via tennis is one of the beautiful things about the sport. I have met hundreds, if not thousands, of people here in a foreign country and more or less made myself a bit well known in the community here. Truly one of the most remarkable feats of my modest life.

One of the greatest gifts a father can give their offspring...experiences. Spanish? I guess Harry Hopman must have been Spanish before he was Australian.
    True. Not just you. My son (her older brother) had been harping at me for at least a year about her lack of conditioning. He felt she needed to get stronger, faster, fitter. Tennis is a battle and both of you are right.

She had no fitness yesterday, just tennis and she is still sore. I hear her complain about some sore muscle every time she moves.

I have vowed to continue the fitness training with her going forward. In fact, the easiest way to be good at tennis is just to get in great shape.

I have also met all kinds of people I would not have met through tennis. I have really good friends that don't live in my neighborhood, do my kind of work, or think the way I do. In some cases, we barely spoke a language in common.

Thanks for the advice!

Leave a comment:

• don_budge
    replied
    Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

One more thing I am wondering about since we are on the topic of coaching. The training here is 1.25 hours tennis and 1.25 hours conditioning. My daughter comes back exhausted and worn out. She says the tennis training is usually intense with one coach for two players. The physical conditioning is with physical trainers and she says it is equally intense. These are not super high level players. It's not Nadal's academy in Majorca or the high level training that takes place in Barcelona.

I have not seen one academy in Houston that emphasizes physical conditioning to such a great extent. I read Lewitt's book on the Spanish approach.

He notes the Spanish academies are known for an emphasis on physical conditioning.

In terms of the relaxed nature, I can see that. It is not overtly competitive where everyone is trying to figure out who is the best.

But the kids are fit and the training very intense.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on these cultural differences in tennis training and coaching.
    I believe that I advised you to emphasise physical training to your girl a while back. From watching her videos it looked as if she grasped the concepts of the strokes but physically was not fully capable of pulling it off. Not to mention increasing her appetite for a competitive situation which enhanced physical conditioning might contribute to. At any rate...this sounds like a perfect situation and such a wonderful experience outside of her "comfort zone" culture. Crossing cultural lines via tennis is one of the beautiful things about the sport. I have met hundreds, if not thousands, of people here in a foreign country and more or less made myself a bit well known in the community here. Truly one of the most remarkable feats of my modest life.

One of the greatest gifts a father can give their offspring...experiences. Spanish? I guess Harry Hopman must have been Spanish before he was Australian.

Leave a comment:

• arturohernandez
    replied
    Originally posted by klacr View Post
    Arturo,
    what a wonderful experience for your daughter. Basque country is beautiful. I remember visiting there several years ago while participating in The Running of The Bulls in Pamplona.

Your daughter will make a connection not just with the language but also with the style of coaching, the relaxed nature of the atmosphere will most likely make her compete even harder, for herself, because her mind is clear, her heart is light and her body is relaxed. Embrace the experience and good luck.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA, PTR
    Delray Beach
    SETS Consulting
    One more thing I am wondering about since we are on the topic of coaching. The training here is 1.25 hours tennis and 1.25 hours conditioning. My daughter comes back exhausted and worn out. She says the tennis training is usually intense with one coach for two players. The physical conditioning is with physical trainers and she says it is equally intense. These are not super high level players. It's not Nadal's academy in Majorca or the high level training that takes place in Barcelona.

I have not seen one academy in Houston that emphasizes physical conditioning to such a great extent. I read Lewitt's book on the Spanish approach.

He notes the Spanish academies are known for an emphasis on physical conditioning.

In terms of the relaxed nature, I can see that. It is not overtly competitive where everyone is trying to figure out who is the best.

But the kids are fit and the training very intense.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on these cultural differences in tennis training and coaching.

Leave a comment:

• klacr
    replied
    Arturo,
    what a wonderful experience for your daughter. Basque country is beautiful. I remember visiting there several years ago while participating in The Running of The Bulls in Pamplona.

Your daughter will make a connection not just with the language but also with the style of coaching, the relaxed nature of the atmosphere will most likely make her compete even harder, for herself, because her mind is clear, her heart is light and her body is relaxed. Embrace the experience and good luck.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA, PTR
    Delray Beach
    SETS Consulting

Leave a comment:

• arturohernandez
    replied
    Funny you write this now as we are in the Basque country and my daughter is at a Tennis Camp here for six weeks. She just loves it here. The environment is so much more relaxed that our hectic Houston life. The players are more chill. The coaches are funny. She gets to kid around in Spanish with the other players. She even likes playing on single courts with no doubles alley.

The whole feel is different. I am sure that the experience aside from tennis will mean more in the end than all the x's and o's.

Leave a comment:

• Maximizing the Player Coach Relationship: Part 2

Let's discuss Kyle LaCroix's latest article, "Maximizing the Player Coach Relationship: Part 2"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9108 users online. 9 members and 9099 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X