X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arturohernandez
    replied
    Originally posted by stroke View Post

So true. I saw them play a few years ago it was not competitive. Mac's game, the gold standard of aging 50+ years old games, was so much better than Borg's, or Lendl for that matter(same result when they played). As Wilander once said about Mac, he can make you feel real stupid out there. Heck, Mac was super competitive playing guys like Jim Courier, who is 12 years younger.
    I wonder what would happen if someone played like him today. Maybe Roger will bring SABR back.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    I checked it. It's a subscribers login. Maybe Pete will show up though--you never know...

Leave a comment:

• bjmiller
    replied
    I think we’re on here with some guy, psampras. Could that be?

Leave a comment:

• stroke
    replied
    Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Great points!!! Funny that everyone thinks the two hander is more solid but forgets about footwork. The counter is the variety and less taxing footwork of a one hander.

Now I get Barty’s strategy. Basically it just tests her opponent’s footwork the whole time.

it also explains why Borg just gave up. He was always going to have to work against McEnroe. These days it doesn’t seem like much of a match anymore.
    So true. I saw them play a few years ago it was not competitive. Mac's game, the gold standard of aging 50+ years old games, was so much better than Borg's, or Lendl for that matter(same result when they played). As Wilander once said about Mac, he can make you feel real stupid out there. Heck, Mac was super competitive playing guys like Jim Courier, who is 12 years younger.

Leave a comment:

• arturohernandez
    replied
    Originally posted by stroke View Post

No question. The simplicity and efficiency of McEnroe's strokes, backhand, forehand, volley skills, and of course his great touch/hands, well, it was obvious to all as he played on the senior tour to about age 60 or so, what his game enabled him to do and compete with world class players much younger than himself. His slice backhand was well ahead of its time to me, and with his continental grip on the backhand, he like Fed, was able to come over the ball and take it early on that side. Fed to me is just the ultimate evolution of Mac's game, basicly just taking everything Mac did and do it better, modernized it, except to volleys. That is one area I would give Mac the edge, even though Fed is a great volleyer. There was a time when all the announcers were making a big to do over Fed jumping forward and short hopping an opponents return of serve, they coined in the SABR. McEnroe could always so that. Fed, like Mac, will have a game that ages like no one else.
    Great points!!! Funny that everyone thinks the two hander is more solid but forgets about footwork. The counter is the variety and less taxing footwork of a one hander.

Now I get Barty’s strategy. Basically it just tests her opponent’s footwork the whole time.

it also explains why Borg just gave up. He was always going to have to work against McEnroe. These days it doesn’t seem like much of a match anymore.

Leave a comment:

• stroke
    replied
    Originally posted by jthb1021 View Post
    Great article! I think you’re so right about Isner! I was switched to a one hander at about age 14 and it was was definitely the right call. My coaches knew I’d be at least 6’3” and I’m so grateful now at almost 40 years old I’m not having to use two hander footwork. I get exhausted teaching two hander footwork…they have to work so much harder! I’m not saying you’re lazy with the one hander but the footwork sure is easier! But I also understand fear/reward choice because making this choice as you’re getting close to college age could be scary for players, parents, and a coaching generation where more of them grew up with two handers than ever before.
    There will always be some one handers at or near the top of the game. For all court players you can’t ignore the variety that the singleton provides! And it’s easier on your body!
    No question. The simplicity and efficiency of McEnroe's strokes, backhand, forehand, volley skills, and of course his great touch/hands, well, it was obvious to all as he played on the senior tour to about age 60 or so, what his game enabled him to do and compete with world class players much younger than himself. His slice backhand was well ahead of its time to me, and with his continental grip on the backhand, he like Fed, was able to come over the ball and take it early on that side. Fed to me is just the ultimate evolution of Mac's game, basicly just taking everything Mac did and do it better, modernized it, except to volleys. That is one area I would give Mac the edge, even though Fed is a great volleyer. There was a time when all the announcers were making a big to do over Fed jumping forward and short hopping an opponents return of serve, they coined in the SABR. McEnroe could always do that. Fed, like Mac, will have a game that ages like no one else.
    Last edited by stroke; 08-07-2021, 11:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jthb1021
    replied
    Great article! I think you’re so right about Isner! I was switched to a one hander at about age 14 and it was was definitely the right call. My coaches knew I’d be at least 6’3” and I’m so grateful now at almost 40 years old I’m not having to use two hander footwork. I get exhausted teaching two hander footwork…they have to work so much harder! I’m not saying you’re lazy with the one hander but the footwork sure is easier! But I also understand fear/reward choice because making this choice as you’re getting close to college age could be scary for players, parents, and a coaching generation where more of them grew up with two handers than ever before.
    There will always be some one handers at or near the top of the game. For all court players you can’t ignore the variety that the singleton provides! And it’s easier on your body!

Leave a comment:

• arturohernandez
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremy93 View Post
    Nice article. A couple thoughts. Neither bh is better or worse. The coach should teach every player both bhs quickly as opposed to guessing which one is best. It should be up to the player as to which one they choose. Lastly, there is no way of knowing which bh a player will be better at. Not in the beginning anyway.
    I agree. The player should make the choice. Motivation is important.

My daughter will watch Shapo or Tsistipas and be inspired by their one handers. Then she goes and tries something like jumping in the air or hitting open stance.

Another point is the flexibility. I saw her hit a backhand the other day agains a boy in practice. I wasn't sure if it was topspin or slice. Later I asked her and she told me it was a hybrid backhand. She hits it with a slightly open face but it is not a slice but rather like the old school flat one handers. The ball goes very flat and skids. The boy just missed it outright.

On another shot she hit a slice deep and a girl missed it. On another shot she came into the net and then hit a slice drop shot. Last week she hit a scoop slice that bounced sideways. it was like a deep dropshot hit high in the air for defensive purposes.

So as far as I can tell there are now four backhands she can hit. A slice, the slice with sidespin, a topspin and the hybrid flat skidding backhand. All four are different. That does not include the volley.

It is really an artistic shot with so much variety. And the freedom of the arm to extend and finish above or even behind the body allows a great deal of acceleration.

Vive La Renaissance!

Leave a comment:

• jeremy93
    replied
    Nice article. A couple thoughts. Neither bh is better or worse. The coach should teach every player both bhs quickly as opposed to guessing which one is best. It should be up to the player as to which one they choose. Lastly, there is no way of knowing which bh a player will be better at. Not in the beginning anyway.

Leave a comment:

• jimlosaltos
    replied
    I'm always a huge fan of the singleton <g>.

One potential star with a stylish and flamboyant one-handed backhand is "the other" Italian teen, Lorenzo Musetti.

Before he had to sprint from Roland Garros to completing his high school boards <g> his backhand was a key weapon in giving Djokovic a tussel at Roland Garros.

One stat: Musetti's one handed back reached 117 mph vs Novak. And darn, it looked good doing it, too <g>.

filedata/fetch?id=94862&d=1627845046&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 08-01-2021, 02:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic One Hand Backhand Renaissance

One Hand Backhand Renaissance

Let's discuss Matt Cronin's article, "One Hand Backhand Renaissance"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3311 users online. 7 members and 3304 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X