Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Strokes: Miller Forehand

Would love your thoughts on my article, "Your Strokes: Miller Forehand"

Awesome. I think it’s definitely a fundamental although I’m not sure we should be teaching beginners to have the off arm parallel to the net. Maybe at a 45 to the net?

Comment

jeremy,
      45 degrees is better than zero. But I teach beginners the full turn. In fact got a series coming up on that with adult beginners.

Comment

This article is very interesting because of your analysis of the evolution of your swing model. Examining that history not only helps tailor-fitting current models to levels of ability, it gives perspective for future pro models(maybe even 360+ degree pirouette hip turns!). Great stuff, as not many take the time (or are capable of) looking at the bigger picture.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          jeremy,
          45 degrees is better than zero. But I teach beginners the full turn. In fact got a series coming up on that with adult beginners.
          Good luck with that one. I tend to agree with jeremy in that 45 degrees or even slightly less works best with beginners or even more accomplished club level players. Tennis centres round here are rammed full of over-coached adults running around with their non-dominant arms stuck out like traffic cops. The full stretch across the body is something most adults find tricky...a milder turn and stretch tends to be more doable. And their biggest problem is not so much sticking their arm out but when and how to retract it.

In good players it often seems to develop naturally and as a unit...with a little encouragement, of course. The danger with beginners, I find, is they just, literally, stick their arm out and then become over focused on the hitting side of the body and forget about their non-dominant arm.
          Last edited by stotty; 09-05-2021, 12:54 PM.
          Stotty

Comment

Awesome John. Looking forward to it!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2812 users online. 5 members and 2807 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X