Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leylah Fernandez, Type 3 forehand, easier to change direction than Type 2 or Type 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

It looks like Emma has fallen off and Leylah is keeping her higher level of play. I really hope that the two of them stick around. Ash Barty is the closest we have gotten to a consistent women's player these days. Everyone else seems to come and go. Serena might have one good run left in her.

Not sure if you have any thoughts on the latest play from Emma and Leylah at Indian Wells.
    Sadly, I didn't see Emma. That's twice I've gone to an event hoping to see her and she's lost in the first round. I believe she has not yet won a (is it a match or set?) on the WTA tour. She played in a Chicago 125 but apparently that's not considered "the tour". To win a major with zero tour wins is ... perplexing.

Leylah, though, continues to impress. She's making a routine out of losing the first set to very good players, yet not wilting, coming back and often winning. Even in her exit from Indian Wells, Leylah broke Rogers when she served for the match before losing the tiebreak.

Not sure I want to say this out loud yet, but I've got this feeling Leylah is going to do better than Emma, at least for a while. She's ready to compete with anyone right now. Scrappy. Finds a way to win.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Sadly, I didn't see Emma. That's twice I've gone to an event hoping to see her and she's lost in the first round. I believe she has not yet won a (is it a match or set?) on the WTA tour. She played in a Chicago 125 but apparently that's not considered "the tour". To win a major with zero tour wins is ... perplexing.

Leylah, though, continues to impress. She's making a routine out of losing the first set to very good players, yet not wilting, coming back and often winning. Even in her exit from Indian Wells, Leylah broke Rogers when she served for the match before losing the tiebreak.

Not sure I want to say this out loud yet, but I've got this feeling Leylah is going to do better than Emma, at least for a while. She's ready to compete with anyone right now. Scrappy. Finds a way to win.
      Are you a Pisces? Born in Berkeley? We seem to be on the same page here.

There was of replay of a scream that she let out during the final of the US Open. It was similar to the way Marin Cilic looks at times. There is a kind of fear in the scream and not as much aggression. Federer can look like that at times too. But with that much talent and enough support, Fed has learned to fight through and prevail.

Djokovic and Nadal never look afraid. They are moodier and darker in their aggression. Nadal does a great job of hiding it and controlling it. Djokovic has learned the hard way to try and appear less arrogant. But there is a combative moodiness when they are playing well.

Leylah reminds me the most of Nadal or Michael Chang. She is like a prize fighter who enjoys the battle. She would find a way to win a match even if she was cramping.

Emma seems more fragile. Maybe a little more like Pete Sampras in his very young years. He had switched to a one hander and was taken to task by Agassi and Chang. Then out of nowhere he passed them. When he defended his first US Open title, he admittedly gave up and just checked out.

Never again! Sampras vowed to himself never to give up and he played through serious physical issues to either prolong a match or find a way to win.

Not sure if Emma is more like Sampras or more like a Marat Safin. Does she want to win multiple slams or is one enough?

Leylah looks like she could keep on fighting for another hour after every match if she had to.

The real issue for her is size. She appears smaller than Ash Barty and Barty is on the lower side of slam champion height. Even Barty can get pushed around.

On a slower surface or at Wimbledon she could reign supreme. The slippery surfaces will be difficult for taller bigger players. Leylah will have all the time in the world to move them all over the court.

But, yes, Leylah. like you wrote, appears to have more upside and to be able to sustain a higher level.

The future for the two of them will be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        Emma gets her first taste of competition as an Ultra Celebrity. How will she react? Her first opponent is Aliaksandra Sasnovich.

Oops...the above was a post I forgot to hit "post reply". Apparently she didn't react. Hmmm...she has that huge target on her back now that says..."hit me". She fired the coach and comes out of the gate like a lead balloon. The psychology of her win and the implications were huge. She thought/thinks she needs to add a big name to her posse. It will be interesting going forwards. Expectations is a nasty mind you know what.
        I got this quote from the "Emma Raducanu - Leapfrogging". Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Leapfrogging? More like the lead balloon. Judging from her initial reaction to fame I'm thinking one hit wonder when it comes to the British darling. Leapfrogged right into the abyss. Fired the coach was the first move. Wow...just think about that for a second. Just how fucked up is that. It's mind boggling. She's left herself wide open for all kinds of problems. The first move should have been to get to work and try to forget the Open. Like it never happened. Instead she has opted for Celebrity Lane. It is a dead end. Life doesn't work like that.

The other little teenage wizard has her work cut out for her. There absolutely no gimmees in life. You want it? You take it and pay the price. Leylah's initial reaction is much more conducive to positive expectations than the other Diva's. She isn't going to reign supreme on any surface though. She has some grit...that's a good thing. But as far as the total package goes, that remains to be seen. Not going to put the cart before the horse in either of these player's future premonitions.

Now that Emma has been put squarely on her ass in her first outing...the sharks are going to smell blood and trust me they are going in for the kill. Her scalp is a premium now. Until she is pounded into obscurity. Unless she can right the ship. Hiring back the old coach might be a start. A radical move. That is what it is going to take in her case...something radical.

don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Are you a Pisces? Born in Berkeley? We seem to be on the same page here.

There was of replay of a scream that she let out during the final of the US Open. It was similar to the way Marin Cilic looks at times. There is a kind of fear in the scream and not as much aggression. Federer can look like that at times too. But with that much talent and enough support, Fed has learned to fight through and prevail.

Djokovic and Nadal never look afraid. They are moodier and darker in their aggression. Nadal does a great job of hiding it and controlling it. Djokovic has learned the hard way to try and appear less arrogant. But there is a combative moodiness when they are playing well.

Leylah reminds me the most of Nadal or Michael Chang. She is like a prize fighter who enjoys the battle. She would find a way to win a match even if she was cramping.

Emma seems more fragile. Maybe a little more like Pete Sampras in his very young years. He had switched to a one hander and was taken to task by Agassi and Chang. Then out of nowhere he passed them. When he defended his first US Open title, he admittedly gave up and just checked out.

Never again! Sampras vowed to himself never to give up and he played through serious physical issues to either prolong a match or find a way to win.

Not sure if Emma is more like Sampras or more like a Marat Safin. Does she want to win multiple slams or is one enough?

Leylah looks like she could keep on fighting for another hour after every match if she had to.

The real issue for her is size. She appears smaller than Ash Barty and Barty is on the lower side of slam champion height. Even Barty can get pushed around.

On a slower surface or at Wimbledon she could reign supreme. The slippery surfaces will be difficult for taller bigger players. Leylah will have all the time in the world to move them all over the court.

But, yes, Leylah. like you wrote, appears to have more upside and to be able to sustain a higher level.

The future for the two of them will be interesting.
          Neither Pisces nor Berekley (although I lived there for a while) <g>

Good analogy of Leylah to Rafa/ Chang.

Here's a tidbit from a story on early Emma, can't recall where, but about what distinguished her from other young teen tennis stars. Some talk about serve, etc but this from a coach, roughly: "When I wanted to egg her on in practice, I'd mention Iga {Swiatek} or {another player I can't remember} and she'd get fired up."

So, there are competitive juices. Perhaps that's what she needs from next coach?

Comment

Neither Pisces nor Berekley (although I lived there for a while) <g>

Good analogy of Leylah to Rafa/ Chang.

Here's a tidbit from a story on early Emma, can't recall where, but about what distinguished her from other young teen tennis stars. Some talk about serve, etc but this from a coach, roughly: "When I wanted to egg her on in practice, I'd mention Iga {Swiatek} or {another player I can't remember} and she'd get fired up."

So, there are competitive juices. Perhaps that's what she needs from next coach?
            I had an interesting chat with a friend of mine who watched Emma's match with Hercog. He says Emma should trust her game and play within herself (rather like Novak does I always think) rather than trying to live up US Open expectations and going for too much. I can't say I disagree with him. Trusting in your game is an immense quality. Players like Roger and Novak are steeped in it.

Emma herself thinks she needs to learn to coach herself. That's one of the most refeshing things she's ever said and contradicts modern tennis where most players seem to need overseeing to go to the bathroom. I like the idea of players coaching themselves. But that said she also needs an experienced coach and mentor right now. Someone to give her an overview of the tour and an appraisal of where she stands and what needs to be done to succeed week in week out.

Remarkable to think Emma has just won her first WTA match.
            Stotty

Comment

I got this quote from the "Emma Raducanu - Leapfrogging". Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Leapfrogging? More like the lead balloon. Judging from her initial reaction to fame I'm thinking one hit wonder when it comes to the British darling. Leapfrogged right into the abyss. Fired the coach was the first move. Wow...just think about that for a second. Just how fucked up is that. It's mind boggling. She's left herself wide open for all kinds of problems. The first move should have been to get to work and try to forget the Open. Like it never happened. Instead she has opted for Celebrity Lane. It is a dead end. Life doesn't work like that.

The other little teenage wizard has her work cut out for her. There absolutely no gimmees in life. You want it? You take it and pay the price. Leylah's initial reaction is much more conducive to positive expectations than the other Diva's. She isn't going to reign supreme on any surface though. She has some grit...that's a good thing. But as far as the total package goes, that remains to be seen. Not going to put the cart before the horse in either of these player's future premonitions.

Now that Emma has been put squarely on her ass in her first outing...the sharks are going to smell blood and trust me they are going in for the kill. Her scalp is a premium now. Until she is pounded into obscurity. Unless she can right the ship. Hiring back the old coach might be a start. A radical move. That is what it is going to take in her case...something radical.
              Sampras did it. And he is proud and could easily not have done it. Great ones will do whatever it takes. I think Leylah could win the French Open. She can move with the best of them. Chang did it and Leylah gives me that vibe.

I saw some of Emma's highlights from a recent tournament. She seems to kind of have one gear. Just hit harder and harder. I am surprised that she does not use all her gifts. Maybe once she rehires that coach.

Comment

Sampras was great but bottom line he never came really close to winning the FO. To me, winning all 4 is the starting point when talking about the best ever. Lendl for instance came way way closer to winning his Achilles Heel, Wimbledon, than Sampras did to winning the FO.

Comment

Emma lost to the #106 player in the world tonight. She was the number one seed in Linz. She has her work cut out for her. I have been watching women's tennis more because of her victory at the Open and it is an eye opener. Number one...some of these young ladies are really hot. But the other thing is they can play. I have been surprised at the compilation of the service motions and there are many that are actually better than what you see on the men's tour. I am really pulling for Emma. I think it is all uphill because of the expectations. It is a commitment and I don't know if she knows whether or not she has that kind of commitment. She could be a one hit wonder and have a great life because of it.

I think she has some toughness about her. She's an attractive young lady and you have to wonder if she can really have a passion for the game that a guy like Sampras did. Time will tell. But I wouldn't bet on it. Those expectations have a way of becoming a yoke around your neck...causing you to choke and gag in matches.
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Emma lost to the #106 player in the world tonight. She was the number one seed in Linz. She has her work cut out for her...

...I think she has some toughness about her. She's an attractive young lady and you have to wonder if she can really have a passion for the game that a guy like Sampras did. Time will tell. But I wouldn't bet on it. Those expectations have a way of becoming a yoke around your neck...causing you to choke and gag in matches.
                    Raducanu now working with Torben Beltz. Torben spent three different stints with Angelique Kerber and getting her to #1 in the world and grand slams. We will see how that works out.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA, PTR
                    Delray Beach
                    SETS Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Raducanu now working with Torben Beltz. Torben spent three different stints with Angelique Kerber and getting her to #1 in the world and grand slams. We will see how that works out.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA, PTR
                      Delray Beach
                      SETS Consulting
                      http://www.setsconsult.org
                      Interesting pairing. Tons of tour and 'Slam experience there. In public at least I recall him as a calm influence while Angie was screaming.

My cynical side says, "Torben could never fix Angie's serve but Emma doesn't need that". Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

Interesting pairing. Tons of tour and 'Slam experience there. In public at least I recall him as a calm influence while Angie was screaming.

My cynical side says, "Torben could never fix Angie's serve but Emma doesn't need that". Sorry, couldn't resist.
                        It's hard to fix strokes. Macci worked for three years (according to his interview) to make Serena and Venus better in terms of technique, movement, etc. They also had hitting partners. If you notice, Serena has the better serve than Venus. I think at least in part that has to do with getting better instruction at a younger age.

Angie did not get the right instruction for her serve young enough. At some point, she simply had to make it less of a liability than completely revamp it.

A coach can only do so much at a certain age. Norman never fixed Wawrinka's serve either. It could also have been improved.

Emma has a much better serve. Now she just needs Angie's toughness which came later in her career.

That will be the tricky part. Is she willing to do whatever it takes to get to the top? Is she all in?

Time will tell!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2390 users online. 10 members and 2380 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X