Federer is In the Builder: Laver Cup Underway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federer is In the Builder: Laver Cup Underway

The Laver Cup Boston is under way with a semi-surprise showing by its founder Roger Federer, who flew in last night. Good news, he's walking ok. Said this morning that recovery from surgery surprised him by being easier than last time. Don't confuse that with rehab to get to competitive level, which hasn't even started yet.

Update: Per text msg from the stands, Fed "used crutches to leave after the first match and was moving very gingerly". LC meant enough to him that he flew from Europe while on crutches.

If you want to watch, it is shown live on the Tennis Channel in the U.S.. I don't yet know if the archived video will show up on TC Plus, the separate fee streaming service.

Here is the global broadcast info: https://lavercup.com/how-to-watch-laver-cup

Also, you can purchase live streaming directly from LC for $6.99. No idea if that will include an archive.

Tennis Channel’s Live 2021 Laver Cup Schedule

Date Time (ET) Event
    Friday, Sept. 24 12:30 p.m.-5 p.m. Day Session (Two Singles)
    6 p.m.-11 p.m. Night Session (Singles, Doubles)
    Saturday, Sept. 25 12:30 p.m.-5 p.m. Day Session (Two Singles)
    6 p.m.-5 p.m. Night Session (Singles, Doubles)
    Sunday, Sept. 26 11:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Day Session (Doubles, Three Singles)

Minutes ago:

filedata/fetch?id=95515&d=1632505758&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 09-24-2021, 11:28 AM.

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
    The Laver Cup Boston is under way with a semi-surprise showing by its founder Roger Federer, who flew in last night. Good news, he's walking ok. Said this morning that recovery from surgery surprised him by being easier than last time. Don't confuse that with rehab to get to competitive level, which hasn't even started yet.
    The general consensus on the forum, I believe, is that this is nothing more than exhibition tennis. I don't feel that way. Even though there are no ATP points there is something to be said for the team camaraderie. I just watched a tiny little bit of Isner and Shapovalov playing doubles and I came away thinking that Denis "The Menace" needs to be exposed to a little more of this type of competition. Somehow he seemed to be a bit more focused. Nick Kyrgios gets a bit fired up under these conditions too. His match with Federer was a great exhibition of tennis. Both players took it pretty darn serious and it was a classic result.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

The general consensus on the forum, I believe, is that this is nothing more than exhibition tennis. I don't feel that way. Even though there are no ATP points there is something to be said for the team camaraderie. I just watched a tiny little bit of Isner and Shapovalov playing doubles and I came away thinking that Denis "The Menace" needs to be exposed to a little more of this type of competition. Somehow he seemed to be a bit more focused. Nick Kyrgios gets a bit fired up under these conditions too. His match with Federer was a great exhibition of tennis. Both players took it pretty darn serious and it was a classic result.
      Yes, anyone that doesn't think these top players take the Laver Cup seriously, should have seen Kyrgios' team mates consoling him as he sobbed after losing the third set tiebreak to Fed.

And where else do you get to hear Rafa coaching Fed? Amazing.

I went to Chicago. Tremendous event. Great, highly competitive tennis by many of the very best men's players in the world. Format is exciting and dynamic.

Some of the highest quality play I've seen in person. Format is so well-thought out. High energy, never seems to be a down moment. And the team atmosphere brings out the players' enthusiasm and personalities in a unique way. Rocket, Borg, Fed and 16 top players all in one weekend. Awesome.

Also, the scoring format makes doubles relevant, not an after thought, which is a big plus IMHO.

Another positive the Laver Cup brings to pro tennis as a sport and business is that it is held in large arenas, often in cities that don't have tour events -- supposedly because the markets aren't big enough. Yet somehow the LC filled the 20,000 seat Chicago United Center. And believe me that crowd was happy.

I suspect some traditionalists feel insecure because they recognize, at least subliminally, that the business model of pro tennis has serious problems and needs to evolve. So any alternative, to them, is a threat. Blue Clay! Off with their heads

Comment

Yes, anyone that doesn't think these top players take the Laver Cup seriously, should have seen Kyrgios' team mates consoling him as he sobbed after losing the third set tiebreak to Fed.

And where else do you get to hear Rafa coaching Fed? Amazing.

I went to Chicago. Tremendous event. Great, highly competitive tennis by many of the very best men's players in the world. Format is exciting and dynamic.

Some of the highest quality play I've seen in person. Format is so well-thought out. High energy, never seems to be a down moment. And the team atmosphere brings out the players' enthusiasm and personalities in a unique way. Rocket, Borg, Fed and 16 top players all in one weekend. Awesome.

Also, the scoring format makes doubles relevant, not an after thought, which is a big plus IMHO.

Another positive the Laver Cup brings to pro tennis as a sport and business is that it is held in large arenas, often in cities that don't have tour events -- supposedly because the markets aren't big enough. Yet somehow the LC filled the 20,000 seat Chicago United Center. And believe me that crowd was happy.

I suspect some traditionalists feel insecure because they recognize, at least subliminally, that the business model of pro tennis has serious problems and needs to evolve. So any alternative, to them, is a threat. Blue Clay! Off with their heads
        Fascinating that you could almost be describing another Europe vs. USA format currently taking place in Wisconsin. Ryder Cup Golf. Laver Cup might just be a glimpse of the future of tennis competition. I'm sure that the powers that be are figuring out a way to include the women in the format. You know...make it a bit sexy. I like the tradition of tennis. I revere it. So they have really mucked it up so it is unrecognisable. Laver Cup might just be in the evolutionary process of being the new Davis Cup. I'm not sure how long the Ryder Cup has been going on...but it is one of the biggest events in golf now. Every two years I believe. The Euro's are getting their collectives asses handed to them by the Americans in Wisconsin...while "The World" is taking a good old fashioned whipping in Boston.
        don_budge

Comment

Zverev said after losing doubles in a Laver Tiebreak: "That's the last point they'll get."

McEnroe reportedly said, "F****, F******, F******" {Literally, there's a longer transcription online.}

It's only boasting if you can't back it up: Score √

Backstory: I recall in Chicago, the "World" bench, or at least Jack Sock, heckling Zverev mid-match. Looked nasty, in his face. Seriously, as if he was a bad fan at an NFL game. So, some bad blood might be there.

Unfortunately lopsided for fans that had tickets on the final day and had most of their matches cancelled. Matches themselves were excellent, just not the team competition side.

But, it was predictable. As tweeb @AnnaK_4ever put it:
          Team Europe annihilating Team World is exactly what should have happened. We are talking about 6 Top 10 players who won 17 titles in 2021 including GS, OG and 4 M1000s vs 6 players who won a total of 2 ATP 250 titles and beat a total of 2 Top 100 opponents in those title runs.

filedata/fetch?id=95531&d=1632698253&type=thumb
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Last edited by jimlosaltos; 09-26-2021, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Zverev said after losing doubles in a Laver Tiebreak: "That's the last point they'll get."

McEnroe reportedly said, "F****, F******, F******" {Literally, there's a longer transcription online.}
            Why the *'s? What did he say? What is obscenity? It is refusing the existence of commonly used words as if they are "dirty". That is obscene. If he said...just write it out in their entirety. Nobody in their right mine will assign those words to your mouth...your keyboard. State the gory facts...the truth in other words. Let's not pussy foot around here.

John might have been pissed or he might have just been putting on a show. I doubt he likes to lose and for sure he doesn't like to be piled on by a marginal "champion" like Zverev. Or is Zverev in the running for the "Greatest of All Time" now. I really doubt it.

The World aka the USA just had their asses handed to them and who knows about the future of the Laver Cup. This might just turn into a wake up call for American tennis. Maybe it is time to reassess the paradigm and think outside of the box of the USTA. Personally I would never trust any of those people regarding anything in my life. What a living ship of fools. The Ryder Cup on the other hand was a resounding validation of American golf and their world standing. Handed the Euros their own asses and they will be going home with their collective wounded booties to Momma as the Americans made them wish that they had never been born. Much like the Euro's did in The Laver Cup.

I will keep on open mind on the future of the Laver Cup. To bring the big names together in a novel concept is not a bad idea but it won't fly if it is so one-sided. Team USA has a long, long way to go as they were simply outclassed by their competition. Just think if it came down to the last match and everything on the line. All of the bragging rights. Then we just might have something here. Until then...we will have to console ourselves with John McEnroe's eternal ranting and raving. It is really amusing that his act doesn't get tired...or does it?
            don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Just think if it came down to the last match and everything on the line. All of the bragging rights. Then we just might have something here. Until then...we will have to console ourselves with John McEnroe's eternal ranting and raving. It is really amusing that his act doesn't get tired...or does it?
              The first 3 Laver Cups all came down to the last, regular match. Fed won the decider in 2017, and Zverev has won all 3 deciders since, with 2018, 2019 in the last match. This is the first year they didn't need match 11. Team USA was always behind but with 3 points for the final day matches, in range until this year.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2846 users online. 4 members and 2842 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X