Salty Opelka Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salty Opelka Interview

From Bill Simmons at Inside Tennis, with Reilly Opelka. Worth a read.
    Here: http://www.insidetennis.com/2021/10/...reilly-opelka/

Excerpts:

We have a journalist, “Mixed-doubles is not in the French Open this year. That’s what makes a Slam a Slam.” Like, really? Is that a joke? That doesn't sell any tickets. Just get rid of it and throw all that money into the women’s and men’s qualifying."

US Men's Tennis:

The Laver Cup was a wakeup call. Can American men possibly emerge and get to the very top pretty soon?

No. No, I don’t think we can.

Is it that Europe is just…?

The Russians. The Russians, they are here to stay and they are here to dominate for a while.

You said Seb Korda and Jenson Brooksby would be our future champs.

The young guys are better than us, if I’m being honest. Korda is a hell of a player…Brooksby is brutal…He’s going to be a big second-week guy. [Brandon] Nakashima is as pure of a ball-striker as there is. The young guys are going to be the guys to beat, from the American standpoint…Korda’s dad was a great player – no offense to Seb but it’s hard not to be great. He grew up with a great tennis mind and he’s a nice kid. He’s got a nice build, a nice modern-day tennis frame…[But] I’d invest in Brooksby. He’s special, and could be No. 1.

Bad Tennis Journalism

I will say one name. Chris Fowler tweeted about Carlos Alcaraz, the youngest man to make a Slam quarterfinal. He tweeted, “What a shame that he threw in the towel, hope that this isn’t a pattern.” That was pathetic.

But Alcaraz is just 18, he plays in the shadow of Rafa and he was balling in New York and had a great run.

I tweeted back at Fowler saying, “After everything Carlos showed us this week, you’re really going to question his courage?” That’s one take that’s terrible. This guy is on ESPN, he does college football, he shouldn’t work another tennis match.

#

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2629 users online. 15 members and 2614 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X