ATP Tour Finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATP Tour Finals

The round robin portion underway. Medvedev just took Zverev in 3 sets for the 5th straight win over Alex. It was not be best quality match for these 2, but Medvedev got it done when he had to. Rublev took Tsitsipas in 2 sets yesterday. Novak won in 2 sets vs Ruud in his 1st match of this tournament.

Originally posted by stroke View Post
    The round robin portion underway. Medvedev just took Zverev in 3 sets for the 5th straight win over Alex. It was not be best quality match for these 2, but Medvedev got it done when he had to. Rublev took Tsitsipas in 2 sets yesterday. Novak won in 2 sets vs Ruud in his 1st match of this tournament.
    Medvedev, who complained that Percy/Bercy was extremely slow, complained that Turin is extremely fast. Tsitsipas and Rublev chimed in agreed it was the "fastest" court they've ever played on. So, Meddy and Zverev proceeded to have rallies of up to 27 shots. Guess they're just good

Notes:

Rublev-Tsitsipas. One way to deal with a vulnerable second serve is to hit fewer. Rublev hit 19 of 20 firsts early on I believe, although he ended up with 68% in, he won 90% of his first serves and never faced a break point.

Maddy-Zverev. One break of serve, 18 aces for Zverev and 14 for The Octopus. Not what one might expect in a Zverev loss. The German won 65% of his second serves and was positive net -- 48 winners to only 25 UFEs -- both better numbers than Medvedev. But Zverev was 0-4 on break points that he had vs Medvedev.

Sinner is In. Middle of first match Matteo Berrettini retired with a badly pulled ab. Near tears to default in front of a home crowd. Fortunately for the crowd and the organizers that puts another Italian, alternate Jannik Sinner, into the round robin stage early. Not sure what the rules are for an alternate qualifying for the semifinal round.

P.S. Speed Kills. For anyone tracking the new speed stats on ATP from Infosys, Medvedev hit a winner from outside the doubles alley to the DTL corner at 207 Km/H. Zverev perhaps an inside-out forehand at 217 Km/H.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 11-16-2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Medvedev, who complained that Percy/Bercy was extremely slow, complained that Turin is extremely fast. Tsitsipas and Rublev chimed in agreed it was the "fastest" court they've ever played on. So, Meddy and Zverev proceeded to have rallies of up to 27 shots. Guess they're just good

Notes:

Rublev-Tsitsipas. One way to deal with a vulnerable second serve is to hit fewer. Rublev hit 19 of 20 firsts early on I believe, although he ended up with 68% in, he won 90% of his first serves and never faced a break point.

Maddy-Zverev. One break of serve, 18 aces for Zverev and 14 for The Octopus. Not what one might expect in a Zverev loss. The German won 65% of his second serves and was positive net -- 48 winners to only 25 UFEs -- both better numbers than Medvedev. But Zverev was 0-4 on break points that he had vs Medvedev.

Sinner is In. Middle of first match Matteo Berrettini retired with a badly pulled ab. Near tears to default in front of a home crowd. Fortunately for the crowd and the organizers that puts another Italian, alternate Jannik Sinner, into the round robin stage early. Not sure what the rules are for an alternate qualifying for the semifinal round.

P.S. Speed Kills. For anyone tracking the new speed stats on ATP from Infosys, Medvedev hit a winner from outside the doubles alley to the DTL corner at 207 Km/H. Zverev perhaps an inside-out forehand at 217 Km/H.
      Good info there Jim. Thanks

Comment

One of the commentators on TennisTV just said there is a scenario where Sinner could advance to to the semis. Not sure what exactly that is. He is playing Hurkacz now, obviously has to win for that scenario to be in play. I personally think Sinner is more of a threat under these playing conditions that Berrettini, and I really like Berrettini's game.
        Last edited by stroke; 11-16-2021, 12:25 PM.

Comment

One of the commentators on TennisTV just said therr is a scenario where Sinner could advance to to the semis. Not sure what exactly that is. He is playing Hurkacz now, obviously has to win for that scenario to be in play. I personally think Sinner is more of a threat under these playing conditions that Berrettini, and I really like Berrettini's game.
          Well he has nothing to lose and has the home crowd behind him. I think you might be right, the court should suit his game nicely.
          Stotty

Comment

Found it: "Sinner can still qualify for the semi-finals at the Pala Alpitour. The Italian must defeat Hurkacz and Daniil Medvedev to have a chance.

If he is 2-0 and two other players in the group finish with a 1-2 record in round-robin play, the 20-year-old will reach the knockout stage. If there are two players with a 2-1 record and Sinner is 2-0, the competitors who are 2-1 will move on because they played more matches.

Sinner is in the "Red Group" with Meddy, Zverev, and Hurkacz.

Results archive from tournaments in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

Comment

On a lighter side, this 'toon might amuse. From TennisTV/ATP.

The details make this cartoon rendering of the men's "Elite 8". Novak's vegetables, Daniil's dead fish on its side from his USO celebration mimicking a video game sign, Casper's message on his shirt {hard courts, from an online spat with Kyrgios }, Rublev and Zverev flaunt their Olympic gold medals, while Novak looks away... I'm not sure what food Hurkacz is presenting but it has his Polish flag ... pierogi dumplings perhaps? Berretinni has, what else, Italian pizza. Tsitsipas, perhaps Greek Souvlaki skewers? Zverev with German sausage and bread?

filedata/fetch?id=95950&d=1637094786&type=thumb
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Super match so far. Hurkacz is in form, a great game. Quite the tough ask for Sinner here. Both are playing great and fully engaged.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                  Found it: "Sinner can still qualify for the semi-finals at the Pala Alpitour. The Italian must defeat Hurkacz and Daniil Medvedev to have a chance.

If he is 2-0 and two other players in the group finish with a 1-2 record in round-robin play, the 20-year-old will reach the knockout stage. If there are two players with a 2-1 record and Sinner is 2-0, the competitors who are 2-1 will move on because they played more matches.

Sinner is in the "Red Group" with Meddy, Zverev, and Hurkacz.

Results archive from tournaments in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.
                  Thanks for clearing that one up. At least Sinner has a chance, which makes all the rubbers live.
                  Stotty

Comment

Super match so far. Hurkacz is in form, a great game. Quite the tough ask for Sinner here. Both are playing great and fully engaged.
                    Sinner off to a great start...battling to hold serve at 2-1 then breaking Pigeon Toes again to go 4-1 up. Sinner is hitting his groundies really well and his forehand has been so good...so clean and powerful.
                    Stotty

Comment

Sinner continues to wriggle through some challenging service games. Old Pigeon Toes has an incredibly good open stance defensive backhand...unreal how players do that when you're old school player like myself.
                      Stotty

Comment

Old pigeon toes, I really like his game. He is a modern day old school player to me. Sinner. unlimited potential to me. I could see him being the 1st alternate to ever win this tournament.

Comment

Old pigeon toes, I really like his game. He is a modern day old school player to me. Sinner. unlimited potential to me. I could see him being the 1st alternate to ever win this tournament.
                          What I like about Pigeon Toes is he has so much time on the ball. Sinner is really thumping it out there yet Pigeon Toes seems to have more time than Sinner. Sinner is doing a great job of working the ball around though.
                          Stotty

Comment

Ok, I think I have the scoop. Sinners destiny is not entirely in his hands. In order to make the final 4, he will have to defeat Medvedev, and then Hurkacz would have to defeat Zverev. I have a feeling of one thinks that is going to happen, there is money to be made.

Comment

Ok, I think I have the scoop. Sinners destiny is not entirely in his hands. In order to make the final 4, he will have to defeat Medvedev, and then Hurkacz would have to defeat Zverev. I have a feeling of one thinks that is going to happen, there is money to be made.
                              But what if Sinner beats Meddy in two straight sets?
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8022 users online. 2 members and 8020 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X