Federer Today on his Comeback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federer Today on his Comeback

In German SC pub TdG today: Excerpts roughly translated.

https://www.tdg.ch/federer-le-reve-u...m-528459118667

"Give everything to come back, it's also my way of thanking my fans"
    Even if he will not play in competition again before the summer of 2022, Roger Federer announces that he wants to return. "For a little ride or something bigger."

The truth is that I would be incredibly surprised to play Wimbledon (editor's note in July) ; as much to say that Australia does not even come into play. And that is not a surprise. We knew before the operation that its nature would require long months of break. So there is nothing new. I wanted to wait for the doctors' first major check-up to talk about it: it is very encouraging. So I started a long process of rehabilitation in which I put all my heart. But that's the way it is, the situation has nothing to do with 2016. You have to be patient to give my knee time to recover 100%.

Monday evening, Roger Federer believed in two things: the qualification of (a soccer team) and his ability to come back to the circuit "for a little lap or bigger things"

Injury: "Exams after grass season revealed my right inner meniscus was injured. It had to be stitched, which required immobilization, and they took the opportunity to treat my cartilage as well"

Timetable: Docs say I will be able to job lightly inJanuary and gradually return to the court. March or April start training again in a tennis-like way"

?What kind of image will people remember of me? My last set at Wimbledon last July? Or my Grand Slam titles and what it triggered in them when they watched me play? My money is on the latter. For a few years now, I've been pretty relaxed about that.?

?But I understand the fans' feelings. It would be easy for me to say, "I've given a lot and received a lot. Let's stop here." But me investing everything to come back is also my way of saying thank you. My fans deserve better than the image of my last grass season.

My world will not collapse if I never play in another Grand Slam final. But it is my ultimate dream to return once again. And in fact, I still believe in it. I believe in these kinds of miracles. I have already experienced them.?

#
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 11-17-2021, 10:38 AM.

Strange. He must look at Norrie and Ruud and think surely I could beat them when I'm 50 never mind 40. At his best he's head and shoulders above the ATP finals field, save Novak and Meddy...and perhaps Zverev of late. But it will be so long away from the game and at aged 40.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
      Strange. He must look at Norrie and Ruud and think surely I could beat them when I'm 50 never mind 40. At his best he's head and shoulders above the ATP finals field, save Novak and Meddy...and perhaps Zverev of late. But it will be so long away from the game and at aged 40.
      41 by the time he's back on court, more than likely.

Discussing this with a doctor acquaintance the "treat my cartilage as well" phrase is worrisome. That could mean he required "regenerative therapy", likely meaning micro fracture surgery. {Crudely, hammering the bone to create a bunch of tiny fractures, so blood coagulates and creates a substitute for cartilage ). While that used to mean the end of careers, an NBA study from a few years back says:

"Five out of 24 NBA players (21%) were unable to return to competition in the league. Two players (8%) were only able to play for one year after surgery before retiring. The remaining 17 players (71%) were able to play longer than one year.

On average, PER {a performance index} fell 3.5 points the first season after returning to competition. For the 17 players who continued to play two or more seasons after surgery, the average PER reduction decreased to 2.7.

Comment

Jim, just a thank you for your anecdotes on different aspects of the tour that some of us would never hear save extensive travel or research. John, in my opinion, sure does a great job of pulling in a variety of relevant sources of information.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
          Jim, just a thank you for your anecdotes on different aspects of the tour that some of us would never hear save extensive travel or research. John, in my opinion, sure does a great job of pulling in a variety of relevant sources of information.
          Thanks, doctorhl~

Comment

Might Basel be Fed's last tournament? Saw that speculation somewhere today. I'm sure Fed would rather go out on a big stage, but he's said he won't be ready for Wimbledon, and the timing of his recovery might be right for his home town tournament. Perhaps Fed does US Open (ala Agassi) then ends in Basel. Inevitable, yet still sad that injuries and 4 surgeries are driving it.
            Last edited by jimlosaltos; 11-18-2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

New with Ljubic in Italian. Basically, I might come back when I'm 40, 41, 42. My heart will tell me.

literally: "until my heart tells me that this is what I love to do"

filedata/fetch?id=96025&d=1637702451&type=thumb
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8035 users online. 2 members and 8033 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X