Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Business Model Trend for U.S. Tennis Junior Development?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Business Model Trend for U.S. Tennis Junior Development?

It will be interesting to see how a guaranteed 6 figure compensation for select U.S. 16-18 year old basketball players(see link), along with the recent Supreme Court decision for NCAA deregulation of youngster name and likeness compensation will spill over and play out in U.S. junior tennis development. Thoughts?
    Short-form video content company Overtime is launching a professional basketball league that will compensate high school-aged players in hopes of funneling elite talent away from playing both high school and collegiate basketball.

What's great to me is OTE will offer up to $100,000 for players to use toward college fees in the event a player doesn't go on to play in the NBA. That's a deal-breaker for parents, assuming $100,000 covers all the costs.

I coached two junior players offered full time backing from the LTA. Both had to forfeit part of their education as part of the deal. One player declined the offer as his parents refused to allow him to forfeit any part of his education, while the other boy took up the offer to play full time at an LTA academy. One of those boys (now 32) went on to earn a massive salary in finance while the other now works in a blue collar job earning a very average salary. I will leave you to guess what happened and which boy went on to do the best.

I have no idea what the odds are of becoming a basketball player versus a tennis player, but for a tennis player they are pretty darn small. I like the OTE's thinking.
    Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8029 users online. 3 members and 8026 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X