Robert Lansdorp's Forehand Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Lansdorp's Forehand Article

Great article by Robert Lansdorp. Even a novice can learn from it.

I agree fully with Robert that coaches should not teach western forehand grip. Eastern FH grip, extreme eastern (base knuckle of the index finger on crease between panel number 3/4), or semi-western are great grips. Full western grip is very difficult to master since it requires more time and space to execute and it is quite problematic for low balls. My question is:

Who introduced the western forehand grip? Coaches or the players?

One of my 11 years old player is from Egypt and he uses full western fh grip for his forehand. He took tennis lessons for several years in Egypt. I asked him, "Ziad, who taught you this grip? Did any coach teach you this grip?". He responded, "no one taught me this grip, I just picked up the racket like this and no body checked and/or corrected my grip later". It is quite obvious that problem lies with player-type coaches; they do not teach properly, and they do not correct properly.

I strongly believe that prior to puberty if some one is already using western forehand grip, it should be changed to semi-western. Players and coaches should not be afraid of corrections for if they let them unchecked their future growth as successful players will be stunted.

As a working coach I completely agree--in principle anyway. Did you read Macci's article on roddick's fh? supposedly he changed it a bit--but andy was already winning so it stayed pretty far under. how many parents have the vision to stick with that kind of change if the coach tries it? they see some other kid is winning beating their kid because he can hit the high balls with topspin and the moon ball is bouncing over their kids shoulder. they don't know a thing about tennis and all they care about is the next win, the ranking, and sometimes their own ego gratification and delusions. it's not all parents but this is the disturbing reality...

Comment

Tennis

Anyone that intends to play tennis properly, needs to get technical information. The same applies to the player's parents.
      Tennisplayer is by far the best source of those tech data.
      About grips, I recomend to check tennis.com.
      There you will find an article with the clearest explanation about how to recognize each of the tennis grips. I found it usefull.
      The acess to the article is free, no registration needed.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7806 users online. 2 members and 7804 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X