Mastering the Slice Backhand: Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastering the Slice Backhand: Part 2

Let's get our thoughts on John Craig's article, "Mastering the Slice Backhand: Part 2"

I like the quote in there how John said something like the slice will never come to life learning the slice with stationary footwork. Then I love the emphasis on the rhythm, flow, and balance of the slice which brings it to life. I would caution calling the left foot coming around as a step through...people will pull off of the shot line too soon the way they do on implementing their "modern strokes" hahaha. I like the shuffle footwork as well, I need to hit a few slices and feel that this afternoon, who knows maybe I'll get a little more flow into my favorite shot. Thanks for the series I am enjoying it

Comment

Originally posted by jthb1021 View Post
      I like the quote in there how John said something like the slice will neverder brake come to life learning the slice with stationary footwork. Then I love the emphasis on the rhythm, flow, and balance of the slice which brings it to life. I would caution calling the left foot coming around as a step through...people will pull off of the shot line too soon the way they do on implementing their "modern strokes" hahaha. I like the shuffle footwork as well, I need to hit a few slices and feel that this afternoon, who knows maybe I'll get a little more flow into my favorite shot. Thanks for the series I am enjoying it

Hopefully the “ throwback” of the non -hitting arm will act a little as a shoulder rotation brake and allow that left foot to come around without “ pulling off the shot too soon”.

Comment

Originally posted by jthb1021 View Post
        I like the quote in there how John said something like the slice will never come to life learning the slice with stationary footwork. Then I love the emphasis on the rhythm, flow, and balance of the slice which brings it to life. I would caution calling the left foot coming around as a step through...people will pull off of the shot line too soon the way they do on implementing their "modern strokes" hahaha. I like the shuffle footwork as well, I need to hit a few slices and feel that this afternoon, who knows maybe I'll get a little more flow into my favorite shot. Thanks for the series I am enjoying it
        Thanks for your feedback on the left foot. Perhaps I should have emphasized that the foot is still pointing to the side fence, and the body holds rather than facing the net at the conclusion of the swing. Let me know how the gliding "shuffle" footwork is working for you. Thanks, John

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post

Hopefully the “ throwback” of the non -hitting arm will act a little as a shoulder rotation brake and allow that left foot to come around without “ pulling off the shot too soon”.
          Yes, I think you will see that in the next section on the series...the role of the non-dominant arm. Thanks, John

Comment

Originally posted by ellie
            John this is great. I like the shuffle out to hit the ball. I don’t think you called it a shuffle but I think it’s a form of a shuffle at least. I feel shuffling to the ball (when you have time) is great for rhythm and rhythm leads to great timing and even balance!
            Right on, Ellie! I call it a "Modified Shuffle", and yes it brings the slice to life! Thanks, John

Comment

Originally posted by johncraig View Post

Thanks for your feedback on the left foot. Perhaps I should have emphasized that the foot is still pointing to the side fence, and the body holds rather than facing the net at the conclusion of the swing. Let me know how the gliding "shuffle" footwork is working for you. Thanks, John
              I think you are safe with your audience on this site. That caution was more for the words we use when teaching the slice. I also like the "throwback" with the left arm to stay on the shot line properly. I'm always picking up good stuff on this site! Be blessed everyone!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8042 users online. 4 members and 8038 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X