• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Life of Tony Trabert: Part 5

Let's discuss Mark Winters' new article, "The Life of Tony Trabert: Part 5"

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Yeah 1968...Once Upon a Time in America. This is a beautiful story and it tough to truly depict it just how beautiful it was. Or so it seemed. Not that America wasn't mired down in the Vietnam War. But, the other side of the coin, back home states side this was another reality. Well played...I'll have more to say on this instalment. T2...Tone...Trabs. Another American icon. There were several types. I often refer to Donald J. Trump as an icon. But he does have that seamier side to him. Tony Trabert was the flip side to that coin. Mid American...All American. My tennis coach Sherman Collins is right out of that mould. He hasn't changed in many ways...going on 93. Thanks again Mark. Like I said...I'll be back.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
      markwinters...thank you once again for this series of Tony Trabert articles from your book, "The Life of Tony Trabert". I have to tell you in all honesty that this little walk down memory lane has evoked memories of my own love affair with the game of Classic Tennis. The opening of your latest instalment is pivotal in the tennis world. It is 1968 and Tony Trabert is beginning to sing his swan song to his playing days after a long and successful career. The very first time that I picked up an old wooden tennis racquet that my parents used to take to the court to beat it around was 1968. I was fourteen years old at the time. I remember they had two or three wooden racquets complete with the wood brace. One of the racquets was sort of a real tennis racquet...it was an Ellsworth Vines model. At least there was a picture and his name on the racquet. 1968 was also the year that tennis went "Open" and the very first Open was won by a man named Arthur Ashe. He defeated Tom Okker in the finals. Take a look at this short video of the match. I believe it is the first set that Ashe wins 14-12. I noticed, too, that Arthur was using a Tony Trabert model of the Wilson wood tennis racquets of the time. As I said earlier in these threads this may have been the very first model I used when I got the least bit competitive.

The elegant beauty of these two graceful players is a thing of the past. There is nothing resembling it any longer in the "modern" game of tennis. It is actually not tennis any longer by definition as the game has been engineered beyond all recognition and it is impossible to compare the players of yesterday with the pretenders of today. But anyways...I think that I have more to say on this article. I have lots to say as a matter of fact. Tony Trabert was running a somewhat parallel course to me in the tennis world. I was just beginning on my journey while his playing days were curtailing. But I find the year 1968 to be pivotal as well as symbolic. A thousand thank you's from the bottom of my tennisheart. I think that you understand just how much I loved this game.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Everyone...

As you may have read, because of his stocky build, Tony was moved from shortstop to catcher in his Little Leagues days (though that isn’t what youth baseball was called where he lived), and he did give serious thought to pursuing a baseball career. In later years, he regularly brought out, in our chats, that he was captivated by tennis because it was like chess and having to always use his mind had more appeal than baseball. Long ago, tennis was, indeed, stylish and classy. Even when sweat-soaked players raced about the court, they appeared utterly “chic...”

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Mark

Comment

John, a thank you for including such great flashback article series in this website. The articles often demonstrate the camaraderie generated by the tight knit pro tour community of yesteryear—-something that I suspect that today’s tour players don’t get to experience.

Comment

Agreed!!!!

Comment

What a pleasure it is to read Mark Winters' memories of Tony Trabert. Mark has done a superb job summoning up all that made Tony not just accomplished, but gracious, kind and classy. I know this first-hand, as I attended Tony's camp for four summers during my childhood. Mark was the head counselor and was a superb presence -- a fantastic instructor on the court and a kindly, fun person off it. I also worked at the camp for two years while in college. Marko, you have done TT justice. Well done.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8030 users online. 5 members and 8025 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X