No announcement yet.

Merry Christmas - 2022 Slam Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI - Djokovic just released fact that he got a "medical exemption" into the Australian Open.

Apparently, if I read the rules right, he gets the same treatment as a person that is fully vaccinated -- in a complete departure from last year's AO, and from any major sports' policies that I can think of.

Some locals are mad at what they see as preferential treatment for a celebrity and blaming Tennis Australia, but it appears to not have any role here since the rules are set by the federal govt and exemptions are done by two medial boards that do "blind" reviews of information, i.e. don't know who is involved, supposedly.

Regardless, Djokovic is in.

Comment

I am glad he is in. These asymptomatic cases are ridiculous.

Comment

That's interesting because the first thing one smells is a rat: he's worth a lot to a tournament so he's in. But the fact things are set by the government dispels all that. I wonder why he is exempt in that case? I don't suppose he's going to tell us but no doubt some ferret will find out further down the line.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

I certainly like to make predictions, which are almost always wrong. I am picking Alcaraz to win the FO.
          Now, that's bold. Like it

Comment

I like Maria Sakkari for one Major this year.

And my Aussie brother-in-law told me this morning that "Novax Djokovic" is taking off down under.

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
              I like Maria Sakkari for one Major this year.

And my Aussie brother-in-law told me this morning that "Novax Djokovic" is taking off down under.
              Looks like there is a problem with his visa application which is apparently now being refused.

'
              Djokovic is presently unable to proceed through passport control after a member of his support team made a critical mistake in requesting a sub-class of visa that does not apply to those who have received medical exemptions from a Covid-19 vaccine. The error had been discovered by the Australian border force while Djokovic was already travelling on a 14-hour commercial flight from Dubai to Melbourne.

Last edited by stotty; 01-05-2022, 06:34 AM.
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Looks like there is a problem with his visa application which is apparently now being refused.

'

Wow, this is a bad situation.

Comment

'

Oh, this is priceless. Karma much?

Yes, Djokovic is being held in a hotel room without access to his mobile phone.

After getting a medical exemption, his staff messed up and didn't get the visa for that extraordinary entry. He was on a 14 hour commercial flight from Dubai to Melbourne when Australian Border Patrol discovered he didn't have a Visa to justify medical exemption.

The Victorian (state) govt, after being blamed for Novak's special exemption is being quite caty.

The Times: "An attempt had been made by national federal authorities to resolve the situation by correcting the application, but support for this has been refused by the Victorian state government. While Djokovic’s exemption had been approved by two independent panels of health experts, authorisation for a visa is considered a separate process.

filedata/fetch?id=96238&d=1641408818&type=thumb

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/n...box=1641393397
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Last edited by jimlosaltos; 01-05-2022, 10:56 AM.

Comment

The issues with Djokovic's visa might be getting sticker as time passes and outrage grows.

As Australian MP and Home Affairs Secretary has posted that: "

While the Victorian Government and Tennis Australia may permit a non-vaccinated player to compete in the Australian Open, it is the Commonwealth Government that will enforce our requirements at the Australian border."

Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration, Citizenship and Multicultural Affairs, Minister for Emergency Management.​​​

The PM, after trying to punt to the Victorian state govt, which passed the hot potato promptly back to him, now says: "Scott Morrison, Australia’s prime minister, had put Djokovic’s appearance at the Australian Open in doubt, warning the world tennis No 1 that he must prove that he cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons."

After months of uncertainty and speculation, Novak Djokovic has announced that he will compete in the upcoming Australian Open after being granted a medical exemption from vaccination against Covid-19.

Australia sports celebrities haven't exactly rushed to Novak's aid. de Minaur and other Au players on podiums basically said "It is what it is" in skeptical tones. "Apparently it’s an independent panel. He must have fit the criteria somehow,” Duckworth said.

Former AFL star Kevin Bartlett said the Australian people are being "taken for fools".

Former AMA head doc:
                    "After everything Victorians have been through, Novak Djokovic getting a vaccine exemption is nothing short of a kick in the guts. All those lockdowns, all that suffering. Seriously?"

NYT:
                    ​​​​​​​https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/05/s...smid=url-share

Comment

New at 1:13 PT Ca. from an Australian Paper:

"World No.1 Novak Djokovic has been told his visa has been rejected and asked to leave Australia later on Thursday {Currently 8:32 AM Thursday in Melbourne). Djokovic’s lawyers are challenging the decision, a source familiar with the situation confirmed to The Age & Sydney Morning Herald"

Djokovic will mount a legal challenge to the last-minute rejection of his visa, after spending eight hours in detention at Melbourne Airport pleading his case to border officials overnight.

Comment

It seems after hours of waiting Novak has been denied entry into Australia. His lawyers are quickly trying to reverse the decision but I imagine that will be unlikely.
                        Stotty

Comment

It's official.

Scott Morrison

The prime minister of Australia: "Mr Djokovic’s visa has been cancelled. Rules are rules, especially when it comes to our borders. No one is above these rules. Our strong border policies have been critical to Australia having one of the lowest death rates in the world from COVID, we are continuing to be vigilant."

Local TV there has Djokovic's lawyers are appealing, otherwise he has to board a plane out of Australia by tonight, their time.
                          ~~~~

Separately, I'll repeat what I've read from Au press, Novak's exemption to be allowed to play at the Australian Open was based on him having a Covid infection within the last 6 months, which prevented him from getting vaccinated. BUT that is NOT listed as grounds to be allowed into the country.

Comment

It seems after hours of waiting Novak has been denied entry into Australia. His lawyers are quickly trying to reverse the decision but I imagine that will be unlikely.
                            Thought you might get a kick out of this tweet. https://twitter.com/RFInvests/status...023136770?s=20

Just the messenger here!

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                              It's official.

Scott Morrison

The prime minister of Australia: "Mr Djokovic’s visa has been cancelled. Rules are rules, especially when it comes to our borders. No one is above these rules. Our strong border policies have been critical to Australia having one of the lowest death rates in the world from COVID, we are continuing to be vigilant."

Local TV there has Djokovic's lawyers are appealing, otherwise he has to board a plane out of Australia by tonight, their time.
                              ~~~~

Separately, I'll repeat what I've read from Au press, Novak's exemption to be allowed to play at the Australian Open was based on him having a Covid infection within the last 6 months, which prevented him from getting vaccinated. BUT that is NOT listed as grounds to be allowed into the country.
                              I had read the caveat back when Djokovic thought he could just fly in and use his stardom to get into the AO.

Australia has very severe restrictions that kept Ash Barty away from home for months. She finally went back for good when it got to be too much.

The whole country made sacrifices during this time. All the other players abided by the rules.

Novak is no exception nor should he be.

His PR team will have to work even harder to salvage his image now.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

I had read the caveat back when Djokovic thought he could just fly in and use his stardom to get into the AO.

Australia has very severe restrictions that kept Ash Barty away from home for months. She finally went back for good when it got to be too much.

The whole country made sacrifices during this time. All the other players abided by the rules.

Novak is no exception nor should he be.

His PR team will have to work even harder to salvage his image now.
                                One theory gaining some currency is that Tiley was essentially sneaking players in under the radar. Five other players got similar exemptions because of infection.

BUT then Djokovic went public and blew their cover. Uproar was such that the Victoria govt back off and the PM wasn't going to let his govt take the fall.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2534 users online. 6 members and 2528 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X