ATP Cup Kicks of 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATP Cup Kicks of 2022

Did I really type that? Has the tennis "season" already started. Again?

Early news. Stefanos Tsitsipas had said his elbow surgery made him "pain free" for the first time in ages. Today he was a late withdraw from play vs Poland's Hurkacz.

Appeared on the sidelines with his elbow wrapped.

Shame. Hoping to see him challenge in Melbourne.

Meanwhile, with Djokovic an unexplained (even to his team mates) no show, Serbia is 1-1 vs Norway, led by Ruud.

Without the Roland Garros runner-up, Greece was beaten by Poland on the opening day of the 16-team ATP Cup tournament in Sydney.

I have no idea on Stef's racquet specs, but to me, he needs to go with old school Fed like specs, close to 13 oz static weight and a 340-345 swingweight.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      I have no idea on Stef's racquet specs, but to me, he needs to go with old school Fed like specs, close to 13 oz static weight and a 340-345 swingweight.
      Interesting. Stef using a Blade 98 18x20, which with the base model is lighter than that (and very popular on the tour) but who knows what the weight / swing weight are for the actual sticks he uses.

Comment

I still think a somewhat low stiffness frame, heavy and headlight, is the best setup for anyone with arm issues

Comment

Could elbow issues be due to technical issues? His serve maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
            Could elbow issues be due to technical issues? His serve maybe.
            And/Or Stef has played a ton of tennis. Perhaps, like Thiem, he's overplayed and paying the price.

There's are strong short-term incentives to chase ranking points and quick dollars, and conflicts of interest where the team gets paid more the more matches the player enters.

Little incentive for people around a young player to say "Play less. You can have a long career."

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

And/Or Stef has played a ton of tennis. Perhaps, like Thiem, he's overplayed and paying the price.

There's are strong short-term incentives to chase ranking points and quick dollars, and conflicts of interest where the team gets paid more the more matches the player enters.

Little incentive for people around a young player to say "Play less. You can have a long career."
              That is true. I guess I wasn't focusing on injury. Lots of players are injured and many play through an injury.

It's the type of injury.

So maybe it is the backhand. Both Thiem and Stef hit a lot of open stance one handers. They are also quite hyperactive in their strokes.

I still choose someone like Wawrinka as a model. He is not as gifted as the Big 3 but boy does he hit smooth. I saw him live and he really hits the ball with a very smooth delivery. It looks like he is not doing much. But, of course, he is. Maybe in his case the legs generate power and hence his knee problems.

Thiem and Stef seem less smooth to me. The backhand is often times effortful and uses a lot of effort. Same with Gasquet who had elbow injuries early in his career.

And, yes, both might have overtrained too.

In the end, we are all doomed according to my orthopedist. It's just a matter of where the pain comes from.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7756 users online. 8 members and 7748 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X