The Most Important Bones in Tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Important Bones in Tennis

Let's discuss Paul Hamori MD;s article, "The Most Important Bones in Tennis"

Interesting perspective. I'll never think about my forehand the same way again <g>.

Having had surgery on my TFCC (triangular fibrocartilage complex) I, sadly, have more familiarity with Dr. Hamori's terminology than I'd care to.

After a few "debridements" in the area above the ulna styloid he mentions my wrist swells every time I go on court.

Sometimes it seems when I just look at a tennis court.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 01-04-2022, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Great imagery of shoulder rotation! The modern tennis racket, it seems, has allowed many to overemphasize pronation/supination in modern strokes instead of shoulder rotation. Arm Injuries have seemed to switch over the years from elbows to wrists.

Comment

Yes, so much great stuff in this very succinct article. Gold standard, Nadal and Fed forehand(and yes, Andre pre Fed), Sampras and Roddick serve, Gasquet and Stan 1 handed backhand.

On a side notw, Pat Dougherty, the "serve doc", who at one time was a member here at tennisplayer.net, sold a product he called the "leverage band", which to me was a superior product to the wrist assist. I have one and still hit balls with it occasionally. It absolutely ensures one hits the forehand with "leverage", an extended wrist. Most recreational players would probably find they could not even strike the forehand with this product on.
        Last edited by stroke; 01-03-2022, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks to all who read and enjoyed this article. I had a great time putting it together and as usual, when I write, I learn. The biggest thing for me was the fact that pronation turns out to be an artifact of shoulder rotation for the most part. And far more leverage is involved with movement from the shoulder than from lower down. Using proper mechanics keeps us healthier for sure. I find it amazing that at the highest level, the pros typically are not suffering from tennis elbow anymore. Certainly this is related to their good mechanics. As far as the rest of us, the more we strive to improve our technique, the more comfortably we can play. Paul J Hamori M.D.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8092 users online. 0 members and 8092 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X