Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stotty
    replied
    Never a good idea to play drop shots at the start of a match like Novak sometime does. The nerves are often jangling early on and it's better to settle into a match first and wait until one has the calmness to play shots requiring touch. That's another of Novak's mysteries. These things are well known in tennis yet he'll do them anyway.

Leave a comment:

• stroke
    replied
    Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

I'd answer more generally: Every time an ATP pro hits a drop shot the TV analysts say it "was a bail out shot". I'd cite Djokovic in French vs Nadal 2 years ago, but only from hazy memory. When he got blitzed by Rafa, he went to a lot of droppers and hit the middle of the net repeatedly.
    I certainly remember that match. Novak to me was just not on the mood to me to play the hard hat tennis necessary to maybe beat Nadal on the day.

Leave a comment:

• jimlosaltos
    replied
    Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
    Jim, can you think of any pro in particular that is an example of someone who usually “ misses” change of pace shots and more importantly, why? Federer sure knew how and when to use change of pace effectively,
    I'd answer more generally: Every time an ATP pro hits a drop shot the TV analysts say it "was a bail out shot". I'd cite Djokovic in French vs Nadal 2 years ago, but only from hazy memory. When he got blitzed by Rafa, he went to a lot of droppers and hit the middle of the net repeatedly.

Leave a comment:

• doctorhl
    replied
    Jim, can you think of any pro in particular that is an example of someone who usually “ misses” change of pace shots and more importantly, why? Federer sure knew how and when to use change of pace effectively,

Leave a comment:

• jimlosaltos
    replied
    Enjoyed Matt's piece as always.

One aspect of Danill's game I'd say might be unique, is his ability not "just" to hit a wide variety of shots and hit them all extremely well, but his ability to hit a change-of-pace shot he hasn't tried all match long for the first time on a crucial break or match point and somehow hit it well.

I recall Medy facing match point and trying to serve and volley for the first time all day long and, of course, making it look natural.

Another time, I recall him facing break point and hitting his first drop shot of the match, for an outright winner.

Bail out shot, the announcers were undoubtedly ready to say if he missed. But he didn't / doesn't.

What does it take to do that? Ice water in your veins? Unique muscle memory that "wakes up" whenever the synapses order them to work?

Got me. It's fun to watch.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic Daniil Medvedev

Daniil Medvedev

Let's discuss Matt Cronin's article, "Daniil Medvedev"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 132 users online. 6 members and 126 guests.

Most users ever online was 1,830 at 05:47 PM on 12-17-2019.

Working...
X