Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Djokovic Visa Blocked a 2nd Time. To Be Deported.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Djokovic Visa Blocked a 2nd Time. To Be Deported.

Let's put this up here to separate it from the real tennis playing content.

Reuters: "Novak Djokovic is set to be detained on Saturday after Australia cancelled his visa for a second time, in a row over his right to remain in the country unvaccinated.

"The decision on "health and good order" grounds means he faces deportation and a potential three-year visa ban."

Djokovic is appealing and an initial hearing is Saturday Aus time.

NYT: "
    The move to deport Novak Djokovic is not just an exercise of Australian law. It represents an enforcement of collectivist values against an athlete who sought to play by his own rules."

"With that, Australia’s leaders decided they had seen enough. On Friday, the country’s immigration minister canceled Mr. Djokovic’s visa for a second time, putting his bid to win a record 21st Grand Slam title in grave doubt. If Mr. Djokovic, the top-ranked men’s tennis player, does not successfully challenge the decision in court, he will be detained and deported before competing.

"Many Australians saw in #Djokovic’s actions both dishonesty & a disregard for others. Some questioned whether he had really tested +, given the convenient timing. They could almost smell the arrogance in his behavior & they found it rank.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/14/w...smid=url-share

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here is the seeding process for the 'majors:

"According to the 2022 Grand Slam Rule Book, if Djokovic is forced to pull out of the tournament before the order of play for Day 1 is announced, No. 5 seed Rublev would move into Djokovic's spot in the bracket.

"If Djokovic withdraws from the tournament after Monday's schedule is released, he would be replaced in the field by what's known as a "lucky loser" -- a player who loses in the qualifying tournament but gets into the main draw because of another player's exit before competition has started.

And if Djokovic plays in a match -- or more -- and then is told he can no longer participate in the tournament, his next opponent would simply advance to the following round and there would be no replacement."

~~~~~~
    If you want a taste of the legal rigmarole and process, here's twitter thread;
    https://twitter.com/sangpillai/statu...06405011783682

NOTE: Legal experts say there is little chance of a successful appeal. BUT they said that before the first hearing and Djokovic's lawyers won that appeal "on procedural grounds", not on the merits of the Australian Border Forces declining his visa.

~~~~~~~~
    An unscientific poll in The Australian newspaper had 80% of over 60,000 respondents saying Djokovic should be deported.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Meanwhile, the women are just playing tennis.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 01-14-2022, 11:43 AM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Meanwhile, the women are just playing tennis.
    [/QUOTE]

That is right! Ash Barty spent 6 months straight on the road. Then we she got back home she was required to spend two weeks in a hotel.

And she is Australian.

The one violator for the WTA just went home.

He was never liked him much. He won people over at the US Open when he finally showed his vulnerability. That is all gone now.

I use to call him Djokostrap which was just a play on his name and tip of the hat to the jockness that jock strap athletes have. In my mind, he was jock's jock. Now all I can think of is the name I read on twitter:

Novaxx DjoCovid.

Comment

He is just not woke. That is a tough ask nowadays.

Comment

The judge this time round has shown frustration about the direction Novak's lawyers are taking to win the case. That's a bad sign for Novak.

It would have been so much easier to get vaccinated.

Stotty

Comment

Update: Details of government's case vs Djokovic from "TheAge" in Australia.

Australia declares Djokovic a risk to civil order and public health

Excerpt;

> The minister describes Djokovic as a “high profile unvaccinated individual” who has publicly indicated his opposition to getting the jab and demonstrated an “apparent disregard” for basic COVID rules such as isolating after a positive test

“Given Mr Djokovic’s high-profile status and position as a role model in the sporting and broader community, his ongoing presence in Australia may foster similar disregard for the precautionary requirements following receipt of a positive COVID-19 test in Australia,” Mr Hawke wrote.

“In particular, his behaviour may encourage or influence others to emulate his prior conduct and fail to comply with appropriate health measures following a positive COVID-19 test, which itself could lead to the transmission of the disease and serious risk to their health and others.″⁣

> Referring to Djokovic’s admission this week that he attended a media interview and photoshoot in Serbia on December 18, a day after he received confirmation of his positive COVID status, Mr Hawke said: “Mr Djokovic is such a person of influence and status. Having regard to the matters set out above regarding Mr Djokovic’s conduct after receiving a positive COVID-19 result, his publicly stated views, as well as his un-vaccinated status, I consider that his ongoing presence in Australia may encourage other people to disregard or act inconsistently with public health advice and polices in Australia.

> “In addition, I consider that Mr Djokovic’s ongoing presence in Australia may lead to an increase in anti-vaccination sentiment generated in the Australian community, potentially leading to an increase in civil unrest of the kind previously experienced in Australia with rallies and protests which may themselves be a source of community transmission.”

The minister concluded: “These matters go to the very preservation of life and health of many members of the general community and further are crucial to the maintaining the health system in Australia, which is facing increasing strain in the current circumstances of the pandemic.”

MYNOTES:

1) Political pressure on the Prime Minister has grown with 83% of Australians reportedly favoring Djokovic being deported. If the PM's office did NOT act, the recent swing by his government from strict mandates to individual responsibility, coinciding with a big upswing in cases and hospitalizations, would be seen as caving in and giving special treatment to celebrities, already a touchy subject.

Regarding the impact of his behavior and social unrest, Djokovic's supporters have already fought with police outside his lawyers' offices. And neo-Nazi groups have stated they intended to support him.

Comment

Sick humor: As one wag put it, "Djokovic came two shots from winning his 21st 'slam".

Comment

No words

Comment

The government have been crafty leaving it until the last moment to cancel Novak's visa. They have weighed up how best to go about getting shot of the Serb and recruited the media to give them a helping hand. It's Australia versus Novak and it looks like Australia are going to win. That said, at 35k a day, Novak's lawyer might just come up with something to justify his salary.
                Stotty

Comment

I think the woke has won this one, kudos to them. This is going to be messy war.

Comment

Some opinions:

To mix sport metaphors, this is "an own goal". While Craig Tilley, and the Victorian state govt can get significant blame, it ultimately comes down to Djokovic's self-absorption and arrogance.

Djokovic could have, like Sandgren and Hughes-Herbert, who aren't vaccinated, respected the rules and stayed home. Or he could have gotten vaccinated.

A third option, that would admittedly have been difficult and unpopular, is that Djokovic could have been open and honest and contested the rule. Djokovic could have said "I'm not vaccinated but believe I should be allowed to play at the Australian Open, since I will isolate when not on court. So, I'm going to sue in Australian courts for entry to the country on special conditions."

Instead, Djokovic wanted special treatment. He alone wanted to go unvaccinated, AND be exempted from a nation's health laws, all while playing coy and refusing to say whether he was coming or not.

Public opinion in Australia was actually in his favor after he was detained, despite his anti-vaxx sentiment while Australia has one of the highest vax percentages.

But then details about Djokovic's behavior after he tested positive came out. And Djokovic started talking and posting. Every time he talked he dug the hole deeper. Every time he walks around with his mask around his chin, more people turn against him. He showed zero regard for exposing others to illness, obviously learned zero from the disastrous Adria Tour, skirted rules in 3 countries, and blamed -- well, everyone but himself in every occasion.
                    Update: From CNN just now, the Serbian government says that Djokovic would have been immediately notified by email and text when his claimed positive PCR test was done on December 16th. Djokovic had excused his maskless, close contact with children and officials on Dec. 17th by saying he hadn't yet gotten the test results. To accept his excuse, one has to believe 1) That after taking a PCR test for covid he didn't bother to look at his emails or his texts for two days and 2) that knowing he might be contagious it is acceptable for him to expose children to risk because he hadn't gotten the test results yet.

Now 83% of Australians want him deported. Getting 83% of any large group to agree on anything is difficult but Djokovic managed to what no Australian politician can!

He might still get off. Courtrooms are a form of theatre. But I can't image how the Australian crowds will receive Djokovic if he does play.

As Rafa said this morning: "No player is bigger than the sport. The Australian Open will be fine with or without Djokovic ... I just want to play. I want the circus to be over."

This quote in NYT's article seems to summarize it well:
                    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/14/w...smid=url-share

"Many Australians saw in Djokovic’s actions both dishonesty & a disregard for others. Some questioned whether he had really tested positive, given the convenient timing. They could almost smell the arrogance in his behavior & they found it rank
                    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 01-15-2022, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Very unlikely Novak will get the verdict this time round. This time there will be three judges involved - at the request of Novak's own lawyers to preempt the government's next move should the government lose. Those three judges know more this time round and the government have let the public's ill feeling build up, which must be a big factor, given you can't trust the government, Novak, or TA if the past week is anything to go by.

My bet is Novak is flying home tomorrow. But...in this country we have a saying: ''The law is an ass'' (ass being the English colloquial name for a donkey). Basically meaning the law operates in stubborn ways and sometimes gets things stupendously wrong. So you never know.
                      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                        Very unlikely Novak will get the verdict this time round. This time there will be three judges involved - at the request of Novak's own lawyers to preempt the government's next move should the government lose. Those three judges know more this time round and the government have let the public's ill feeling build up, which must be a big factor, given you can't trust the government, Novak, or TA if the past week is anything to go by.

My bet is Novak is flying home tomorrow. But...in this country we have a saying: ''The law is an ass'' (ass being the English colloquial name for a donkey). Basically meaning the law operates in stubborn ways and sometimes gets things stupendously wrong. So you never know.
                        Well put. I think you're right on Djoko getting the heave. But then local, legal experts said before his first hearing that it was "highly unlikely" the government would be over-ruled.

Comment

Djokovic's hearing is live now. Stream is on YouTube, since prior once crashed court servers.

Not sure I can watch this. NFL is more tempting. But I understand 41,000 watched the first hearing.

Update: 51,083 watching now
                          Started streaming 25 minutes ago
                          2:44 PM PT

MELBOURNENOVAK DJOKOVIC v MINISTER FOR IMMIGRATION, CITIZENSHIP, MIGRANT SERVICES AND MULTICULTURAL AFFAIRS

These proceedings will commence at 9:30 AEDT on Sunday 16 January 2022 before Chief Justice Allsop, Justice Besanko and Justice O'Callaghan of the Federal Court of Australia. Djokovic v Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affa

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                            Djokovic's hearing is live now. Stream is on YouTube, since prior once crashed court servers.

Not sure I can watch this. NFL is more tempting. But I understand 41,000 watched the first hearing.

Update: 51,083 watching now
                            Started streaming 25 minutes ago
                            2:44 PM PT

MELBOURNENOVAK DJOKOVIC v MINISTER FOR IMMIGRATION, CITIZENSHIP, MIGRANT SERVICES AND MULTICULTURAL AFFAIRS

These proceedings will commence at 9:30 AEDT on Sunday 16 January 2022 before Chief Justice Allsop, Justice Besanko and Justice O'Callaghan of the Federal Court of Australia. Djokovic v Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affa
                            Well, Novak has gone. Probably the right decision given he is the most guilty of the guilty parties. What a bloody mess. On with the tennis, please! Rafa's odds must have gone up a fair bit this morning.
                            Stotty

Comment

Tennis Australia stuck a luck loser into Djokovic's slot atop the draw: Salvatore Caruso, world number 150.
                              Caruso now has the easiest draw he's likely ever had at a 'slam, yet will likely be out of the event Monday anyway (albeit with a nice paycheck of $103,000 ).

P.S. The ruling apparently came too late to slide Rublev into Novak's slot, which would follow by Grand Slam rules if the number one came out BEFORE OoP Monday.

This opens up the top quarter that has 2 LLs. Maybe Gael Monfils can make a run !

Nadal would have, on seed, have faced Novak in one semifinal.

The top half also has if I'm reading this right, Zverev, Shapo, Berrettini, Korda-Norrie in the first round !, and Carlos Alcaraz.

FJNpG4vUYAQGNnd.jpeg
                              Last edited by jimlosaltos; 01-16-2022, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8309 users online. 11 members and 8298 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X