No announcement yet.

What Happens to Djokovic Going Forward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asked Novak Djokovic if he will be able to compete at Indian Wells: "As of today (Feb 21) not. I can't go -- can't enter United States. As of today I'm not able to play. But let's see what happens. I mean, maybe things change in the next few weeks."

Separately, Boris Johnson ended all UK covid restrictions. I doubt ALTEC will add its own, but that's purely a guess from afar.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
      Asked Novak Djokovic if he will be able to compete at Indian Wells: "As of today (Feb 21) not. I can't go -- can't enter United States. As of today I'm not able to play. But let's see what happens. I mean, maybe things change in the next few weeks."

Separately, Boris Johnson ended all UK covid restrictions. I doubt ALTEC will add its own, but that's purely a guess from afar.
      Wimbledon have already said they will run with the government's policy on Covid, and always have since day one of the outbreak. Novak's in!

Don't the yanks keep an eye on the Brits' restrictions-lifting decisions and follow suit once the see the shit hasn't hit the fan? Always seems that way to me. That being the case, tennis restrictions in the US should fully open sooner rather than later.

As Andy Murray said, Novak is probably still the best player in the world and you really want the best player in the world in the tournaments.
      Last edited by stotty; 02-21-2022, 03:19 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

It has been a good run for all the mask vaccination wokesters. Time to move on.

Comment

Djoko's Coach Marian Vajda Leaves Again

The rest of Djokovic’s team stays the same – coach Goran Ivanisevic, physiotherapists Ulises Badio and Miljan Amanovic, and fitness coach Marco Panichi.

https://www.tennismajors.com/atp/nov...da-591654.html

Comment

Looks like Djokovic will be able to defend his Roland Garros title, per NYT today, March 3.

A Covid Ruling Opens the French Open Door to Novak Djokovic

Futterman: "Officials in France announced Thursday that the country would no longer require visitors to show proof of a Covid-19 vaccine to enter indoor establishments after March 14, most likely clearing the way for Djokovic, who was the world’s top-ranked tennis player until this week, to defend his championship at the French Open this spring.

"A spokesman for the French Open said the tournament planned to follow government regulations in effect at the time of the tournament, which begins May 22.

Comment

Looks like Djokovic will be able to defend his Roland Garros title, per NYT today, March 3.

A Covid Ruling Opens the French Open Door to Novak Djokovic

Futterman: "Officials in France announced Thursday that the country would no longer require visitors to show proof of a Covid-19 vaccine to enter indoor establishments after March 14, most likely clearing the way for Djokovic, who was the world’s top-ranked tennis player until this week, to defend his championship at the French Open this spring.

"A spokesman for the French Open said the tournament planned to follow government regulations in effect at the time of the tournament, which begins May 22.
              Looks like things will gradually open up for Novak, and he should be able to prepare really well for the FO.
              Stotty

Comment

Djokovic has officially withdrawn from BNP Paribas Open aka Indian Wells, see post in that tournament's thread.

Comment

Djokovic posted on his web site that he'll next play at Monte-Carlo April 10-17.
                  The official website of Novak Djokovic with exclusive photos, videos, results, biographical information, articles and interviews.

That is made possible by France loosening its travel restrictions perhaps a couple of weeks ago.

Novak's entire record this year is 2-1 on court and 1-1 in court.
                  Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-12-2022, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Djokovic posted on his web site that he'll next play at Monte-Carlo April 10-17.
                    The official website of Novak Djokovic with exclusive photos, videos, results, biographical information, articles and interviews.

That is made possible by France loosening its travel restrictions perhaps a couple of weeks ago.

Novak's entire record this year is 2-1 on court and 1-1 in court.
                    I guess Novak is going to go short of match practice. On the other hand, at his age, it might be a good thing as he heads into the clay court swing.
                    Stotty

Comment

He needs to just wear a mask at all times. Even if he is driving his vehicle solo, he still needs to mask up.
                      Last edited by stroke; 03-12-2022, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                        He needs to just wear a mask at all times. Even if he is driving his vehicle solo, he still needs to mask up.
                        Alas, even when he and his team wear masks they're general used as "chin straps"
                        Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-14-2022, 10:57 AM.

Comment

it's intriguing to consider the parallels between his performance on the tennis court and the mechanics of a car cooling system. Both require an optimal balance to function efficiently. Djokovic's extraordinary skills and mental fortitude have been the engine driving his success. However, like a car cooling system, where even a minor imbalance can lead to problems, Djokovic might also encounter hurdles going forward. Just as timely maintenance ensures a car's engine stays cool under pressure, Djokovic's ability to adapt, train smartly, and manage any potential "overheating" on the court will determine his continued dominance in the tennis world.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeeveee View Post
                            it's intriguing to consider the parallels between his performance on the tennis court and the mechanics of a car cooling system. Both require an optimal balance to function efficiently. Djokovic's extraordinary skills and mental fortitude have been the engine driving his success. However, like a car cooling system, where even a minor imbalance can lead to problems, Djokovic might also encounter hurdles going forward. Just as timely maintenance ensures a car's engine stays cool under pressure, Djokovic's ability to adapt, train smartly, and manage any potential "overheating" on the court will determine his continued dominance in the tennis world.
                            Novak and Roger are the gold standard at age 36. Roger's last season as a threat in the Majors was 2019, age 37. If Novak can stay as a legitimate threat in Majors past age 37, I would certainly be surprised.

Comment

Ah...one of those political threads that were quite ok until someone (me) started expressing a dissenting point of view. Oh well...no matter. Life isn't fair, is it? Witch hunt commence. But at any rate, what about Novax Djokovic going forwards. Well for one thing he will be measuring his steps. Ala Federer in the wind down of his illustrious career. Not that it is going to matter any for Novax. Carlos has drawn blood. Serious flow. The legs. He took out the legs of Novax at the ripe old age of 36. He did it on grass...which is slightly more difficult to do. He did it with a combination of bullets and drop shots to emphasize the point. The point being...it is all about the legs. Roger switched to a bigger racquet and he endeavored to end the points quicker by toeing the baseline. Getting on top. Novax? I don't believe he has that option.

Watch Roger at 1:49 in the video, up a break at 4-3 he puts the pedal to the metal. Bing...bang...bye. Know what I mean? Sayonara. Adios muchacho. Good night...see ya never.

don_budge
                              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by Steeeveee View Post
                                An old post has jumped to life! But the question is valid again albeit for vastly different reasons.

Good question on Djokovic going forward. The old "Rest Vs. Rust' debate.

Djokovic showed signs of tiring, whether physical exhaustion or mental, early in his matches with Alcaraz and Ruud at Roland Garros, and later in the Wimbledon final. And his old elbow problem flared up in the clay court swing. So, his body can benefit from rest, but will his game?

IMHO Djokovic has not, historically needed the intensive reps before an event that Rafa seems to thrive on. He's historically shown an ability to walk into a major after not having shown good form in tune-ups and just turn it back on. That's different than Fed or Serena playing themselves into tournament shape in early rounds.

As for the "fine tuned machine" issues you bring up. I think you have something there. I mentioned elsewhere here that TV analysts/ articles, at least those I saw or heard, seemed to miss how much the wind bothered Djokovic. That's always been true. I don't know why. Are his strokes more mechanical, more constructed than the fluidity of the other Big 3 members?

I guess we'll see in New York. Adds some drama.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3840 users online. 4 members and 3836 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X