Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evil: Part 1

Let's discuss Jim Loehr's article, "Evil: Part 1"

What a great article. Reminds me of the beginning of Great Expectations where Pip is in a cemetery and encounters an escaped convict and is scared for his life and doesn't know what to do.

The questions of good versus evil, and how we deal with the reality of both, is a profound one, and this article by Jim Loehr has me intrigued to say the least.

My other take on this is that my kids have it easy compared to doing a job like this!

Comment

Interesting. I just wonder where the next article is leading in tennis terms.

I taught a psychiatrist once. He told me good and evil perhaps resides in everyone and that there is no such thing as abnormal, just extremes.
      Stotty

Comment

Evil is the outward symptoms. There are people who simply do not feel any remorse. It is impossible for them to feel it. In some ways, these are easier to deal with. Their intent is so obvious that we stay away. The problematic ones are psychopaths or sociopaths. Often times they appear nice or even charming. Then you realize they are only nice and charming when you do what they want you to do. Once you are not on "their" side, they drop you like a rotten piece of meat.

I am very curious to see where this goes. Are GS champions in some way evil? Do they get pleasure out of violently attacking their opponent? Or is evil destructive and lead people to lose on the court?

Comment

So wonderful that John is able to get some of the “greats” to contribute! My observational sports experience is that elite performance requires a singular focus( and enjoyment) of crushing your opponent physically and mentally in the heat of the battle, but that the successful champions leave that attitude behind them when they exit the court. Will be interesting to see what Loehr’s many years of experience reveals.

Comment

Wow this was a riveting read! Looking forward to the next one!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7961 users online. 7 members and 7954 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X