Like Aggressive Doubles: Karatsev & Rublev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like Aggressive Doubles: Karatsev & Rublev

Two of the more aggressive doubles players are the Russians Aslan Karatsev and Andrey Rublev. They've teamed together at the ATP Cup, Indian Wells and elsewhere as well as playing against each other in the finals of the Olympics mixed doubles.

There, Rublev with Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova narrowly beat Karatsev and Vesnina.

Both are aggressive returners, standing in tight and blasting. Karatsev, in particular gets elevated to take kicking serves.

At the net, Rublev is more passive but Karatsev flits back and forth like a young Leander Paes, from one doubles alley to the next.

Check out this month's Tour Portrait for more of my photos of them splitting matches with two, top doubles teams at Indian Wells. Enjoy!

My photo: Look at where Aslan takes this volley.

filedata/fetch?id=96581&d=1643741256&type=thumb

Here, they beat Puetz and Venus, a top 10 doubles team (I think they may have gotten to number 1 for a while recently), at Indian Wells.

Aside from calves the size of watermelons, looks how Aslan gets on top of, I believe it was Puetz's heavy serve. Like a ballerina on tip toe, leaning so far forward he could fall over.

filedata/fetch?id=96582&d=1643741256&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 02-01-2022, 10:52 AM.

Jim: What in the world is going on with Karatsev’s leg muscle definition in this months’ Tour Portait Indian Wells Tour Portrait photo slide #11? Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
      Jim: What in the world is going on with Karatsev’s leg muscle definition in this months’ Tour Portait Indian Wells Tour Portrait photo slide #11? Unbelievable!
      True. the photo captures, above all else, Karatsev's incredible leg strength. Agassi once said of himself that he gained a lot of power by engaging his legs and driving up. He said when he hit a great shot he could feel it right through his legs. Not something I have ever experienced but I imagine at high level it's a common feeling.

It's a great photo...captures many great things...Karatsev is watching the ball like a hawk. Good old Jim.
      Stotty

Comment

Good question. I can't explain it. I just captured it <g>.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

True. the photo captures, above all else, Karatsev's incredible leg strength. Agassi once said of himself that he gained a lot of power by engaging his legs and driving up. He said when he hit a great shot he could feel it right through his legs. Not something I have ever experienced but I imagine at high level it's a common feeling.

It's a great photo...captures many great things...Karatsev is watching the ball like a hawk. Good old Jim.
          Thanks !

Appreciate it. He's fun to watch play as well, an offensive returner.

As a team he and Rublev can be a hoot. Karatsev seems quiet as school mouse and the bit younger and more outgoing Rublev seems to kid him, drew him out, perhaps to lighten things up.

Comment

P.S. The contrast between Karatsev's calves and Rublev's calves is striking. Clearly, it's not from a national training program <g>.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8190 users online. 5 members and 8185 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X