Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Sanctions Affect Tournaments and/or Individual Players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Sanctions Affect Tournaments and/or Individual Players?

Some former & current players are either saying they won't play against Russians ( Elena Svitolina) or calling for Russian Players to be banned from tour tennis (Jamie Hamilton)

Simon Briggs of The Telegraph on the latter:

Excerpt:

"Like his colleague Andrey Rublev, who wrote “No war please” on a camera lens as he strode to last week’s title in Dubai, Medvedev has snubbed Putin’s murderous vanity project.

On Friday, he posted a moving social-media message that concluded “I want to ask for peace in the world, for peace between countries. Kids are born with inner trust in the world … Let’s be together and show them that it’s true, cause every kid shouldn’t stop dreaming.”

Rather than bolstering Putin’s war machine, Medvedev and Rublev have become symbols of the other Russia: the many millions who feel only anger and shame.

This is a courageous stance to take. If Putin should survive this crisis, or if he is succeeded by another hardline nationalist, such statements will damage the standing of both men in their home country. They have put ethics ahead of personal interest.
    "

And Briggs position:

"Russia should be expelled at once from all team events: the Davis Cup, the Billie Jean King Cup and the ATP Cup.

But individual Russians must play on, especially if they are going to speak plainly and honourably about the conflict. Medvedev, despite his crotchety temper on the court, has already shown himself to be a worthy figurehead for the game.

The ITF has already stopped Challenger events. The ATP has an event literally named after one of the sanctioned Russian banks, "VTB Moscow" . My vague recollection is that the Moscow event was held in the past during sanctions against VTB (which included accusations of FSB spying). VTB has been sanctioned numerous times by the US, Canada, Britain and the EU.

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
    Some former & current players are either saying they won't play against Russians ( Elena Svitolina) or calling for Russian Players to be banned from tour tennis (Jamie Hamilton)

Simon Briggs of The Telegraph on the latter:

Excerpt:

"Like his colleague Andrey Rublev, who wrote “No war please” on a camera lens as he strode to last week’s title in Dubai, Medvedev has snubbed Putin’s murderous vanity project.

On Friday, he posted a moving social-media message that concluded “I want to ask for peace in the world, for peace between countries. Kids are born with inner trust in the world … Let’s be together and show them that it’s true, cause every kid shouldn’t stop dreaming.”

Rather than bolstering Putin’s war machine, Medvedev and Rublev have become symbols of the other Russia: the many millions who feel only anger and shame.

This is a courageous stance to take. If Putin should survive this crisis, or if he is succeeded by another hardline nationalist, such statements will damage the standing of both men in their home country. They have put ethics ahead of personal interest.
    "

And Briggs position:

"Russia should be expelled at once from all team events: the Davis Cup, the Billie Jean King Cup and the ATP Cup.

But individual Russians must play on, especially if they are going to speak plainly and honourably about the conflict. Medvedev, despite his crotchety temper on the court, has already shown himself to be a worthy figurehead for the game.

The ITF has already stopped Challenger events. The ATP has an event literally named after one of the sanctioned Russian banks, "VTB Moscow" . My vague recollection is that the Moscow event was held in the past during sanctions against VTB (which included accusations of FSB spying). VTB has been sanctioned numerous times by the US, Canada, Britain and the EU.
    Great post. What a dilemma!

With FIFA casting out Russia from the World Cup, and other sports swiftly following suit in ostracising Russia, it would seem inevitable that tennis should do the same, despite Rublev and Meddy's abhorrence at what is going on. It's a big moment in the world and the West has become quickly unified. It doesn't make sense that some sports would retain Russians participants while other sports are kicking them out.

I will give it some more thought but at the moment I am erring towards ejecting Russia from absolutely everything because it would serve as a deterrent capable of bypassing the Russian propaganda machine. The population will want to know why?

The longer Ukraine hold out, the more likely Putin's days will be numbered. Fingers crossed.
    Stotty

Comment

Stotty, I certainly hope you are right. I am not optimistic on the course of this thing.

Comment

WTA apparently erases "Russia" from its web site? I like this. If point is not to have individuals play "for Russia' or promote it, this does that without punishing the players. I know it will not be enough for some.

filedata/fetch?id=96764&d=1646157986&type=thumb

filedata/fetch?id=96765&d=1646157993&type=thumb

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
          WTA apparently erases "Russia" from its web site? I like this. If point is not to have individuals play "for Russia' or promote it, this does that without punishing the players. I know it will not be enough for some.

filedata/fetch?id=96764&d=1646157986&type=thumb

filedata/fetch?id=96765&d=1646157993&type=thumb
          I think the situation is bigger than individual athletes. I know athletes like to distance themselves from politics in situations such as we are seeing today...but this current situation is like no other. The more I think about the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the more I think we should ostracise everything Russian. The state media propaganda is very effective in Russia so banning Russians from sport is a very effective way to penetrate that...and the West knows it. Soccer may not be that big in the US but pretty much everywhere else in the world it is colossal. Tennis is a tiny particle by comparison to soccer but the Russians do have some household names in the game at the moment and banning them would hurt.

Cutting the word 'Russia' out of the scoreboard doesn't do enough for me.
          Last edited by stotty; 03-01-2022, 02:11 PM.
          Stotty

Comment

What does this so called "erasing " mean for their tennis?.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              What does this so called "erasing " mean for their tennis?.
              Nothing I am aware of. Or rather, it might mean they can keep playing if they stops calls to ban all Russian athletes.

Now, just guessing, if they are not allowed to wear relevant sponsor logos, that could cost them money. Although, if they have a Russian sponsor they probably aren't getting paid now anyways.

Comment

I agree that Russia should be excluded from all team tennis, I don't think individuals should be banned by tennis authorities (ATP, WTA, the Slams, etc). However, I would understand and support countries making it much harder for Russians to obtain visas for entry, for tennis or any other purpose. I'm afraid ordinary Russians need to be prompted to start asking questions by changing their experience of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
                  I'm afraid ordinary Russians need to be prompted to start asking questions by changing their experience of the world.
                  I couldn't agree more.

Stotty

Comment

NYT Coverage with some more detail.

Tennis Suspends Russia and Belarus but Will Allow Their Players to Compete

The move will allow stars like Daniil Medvedev of Russia and Victoria Azarenka of Belarus to participate in tournaments but as neutral players with no national identification.

Excerpt:
                    “The International Tennis Federation condemns Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and its facilitation by Belarus,” a statement said. “In addition to the cancellation of all I.T.F. events in those countries, the I.T.F. Board has today announced the immediate suspension of the Russian Tennis Federation and Belarus Tennis Federation from I.T.F. membership and from participation in I.T.F. international team competition until further notice. The I.T.F. remains in close contact with the Ukraine Tennis Federation and stands in solidarity with the people of Ukraine.”

AND:

The announcement came after several days of discussions with the WTA and ATP and leaders of the major tournaments. The I.T.F., which organizes competitions between nations — including the Olympic tournament, the Davis Cup for men and the Billie Jean King Cup for women — excluded Russia and Belarus from those events at least through this year.

The I.T.F. immediately forfeited Belarus from its Davis Cup tie against Mexico scheduled for this weekend.

Also included were the organizations behind the four Grand Slam tournaments: the French Tennis Federation; the United States Tennis Association; Tennis Australia; and the Lawn Tennis Association, which organizes Wimbledon. Those events will allow players from Belarus and Russia to participate but their presence will come without any mention or identification of their nationalities.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7999 users online. 4 members and 7995 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X