Fed Comeback, March Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed Comeback, March Update

Per author Simon Graf, Fed said in an interview at Lenzerheide, site of a women’s Super G Race: “I am entering the phase in which I can start to think about the comeback. I had a very good MRI a few weeks ago. That made me very optimistic.”

“But it will take some time, until the end of summer, the beginning of autumn. That’s the time I am aiming for for my comeback. I am much better now. I was on crutches for two months. That’s why I had to start from scratch again.

“But it was the right decision. The knee wasn’t good at all after Wimbledon. I couldn’t go on like this. It was wonderful to witness the race here. I live only five minutes away. In other years, I was on the road. Finally I made it. Unfortunately, because of my knee.”

About his skiing: “I’ve always skiied very fast and didn’t make many turns. That’s why I haven’t skied since 2008. I thought I would start again after my career. 14 years later, I still haven’t skied. Mirka is skiing, the kids are skiing, and I can’t wait to do it again.”

Separately, one of Fed's trainers (name escapes me now) said he couldn't imagine Fed playing by Wimbledon, citing the amount of re-hab work that remains. Stressing, it's not just about rehabbing the surgically repaired area, but getting his whole body back in competitive shape.

For anyone that missed it, Fed & Rafa announced they would team up for doubles at the Laver Cup in London O2, Sept 23rd.

My early speculation, which is worth about a ruble, is that Fed would return at the Laver Cup and "possibly then retiring from the ATP but not tennis at his local Basel event in Switzerland next October might suit him.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-05-2022, 01:26 PM.

Does anyone know specifically what is wrong with his knee? Sounds super serious. I had cartilage removed a number of years ago. I was back on the court in 6 weeks. I also had a partial knee replacement about 10 months ago. I never needed crutches.

Comment

Originally posted by ralph View Post
      Does anyone know specifically what is wrong with his knee? Sounds super serious. I had cartilage removed a number of years ago. I was back on the court in 6 weeks. I also had a partial knee replacement about 10 months ago. I never needed crutches.
      I have not seen that anywhere. But this is Fed's THIRD operation on one knee, and his fourth overall. The speculation has always been some kind of meniscus or cartilage damage, not ligaments but even that doesn't seem to be confirmed.

After his PRIOR knee surgery, his trainer said Fed "Had to learn to walk all over again".

Moving into the real of complete speculation: With either meniscus or cartilage repair, he'd already be past the snipping stage and into "regenerative therapy". Recovery from surgery to regenerate tissue involves staying off that joint completely for 6 weeks or more {this is 3rd hand knowledge from having too many soccer-playing friends who have knee surgery like others trim their nails). At that point, your muscles have atrophied and it takes a lot of work to get back.

The record with professional athletes getting back to high performance after micro-fracture surgery (drilling the bone so blood coagulates to replace cartilage is quite poor.

Newer treatment is to graft a slice of donor knee bone -- contains a "seed" of cartilage -- to regrow the cartilage. I've been told by an MD that the record for elite athletes coming back in this way is good. Although I've never seen a list of names.

On a random search, with no QA: "Nearly 70% of athletes who underwent osteochondral allograft (OCA) transplantation in the knee returned to their preinjury level of sport within 16 to 24 months after surgery according to a new study from the University of Missouri School of Medicine, MU Health Care and the Mizzou BioJoint? Center at the Missouri Orthopaedic Institute.
      Nearly 70% of athletes who underwent osteochondral allograft (OCA) transplantation in the knee returned to their preinjury level of sport within 16 to 24 months after surgery according to a new study from the University of Missouri School of Medicine, MU Health Care and the Mizzou BioJointŪ Center at the Missouri Orthopaedic Institute.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7974 users online. 6 members and 7968 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X