Monte Carlo Master's 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monte Carlo Master's 1000

Alcaraz and Novak could be a super interesting matchup if they both get there in that quarter.

Comment

If Seb Korda wins his first match, he would play Alcaraz, next. That would be an interesting match between 2 young up & comers.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        Alcaraz and Novak could be a super interesting matchup if they both get there in that quarter.
        It would indeed be interesting. But with so little matchplay under his belt, Novak may have work hard to get there. He potentially meets RBA along the way who normally keeps out there a long time and sometimes pulls off a win. So it's no cakewalk even for an in form Novak. Let's hope Novak and Alcaraz do actually meet, though.
        Stotty

Comment

Stan goes out to Bublik in 1st round in 3. Stan looked good for the 1st 2 sets, but he appeared to have some physical issue in the 3rd and faded.

Comment

Novak goes out his 1st match.. The stats certainly tell the story.

Comment

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VXLdPGCBTCPsqD7c7

This match certainly makes a strong case for the old cliche' that players need to be "in match shape". I was curious how well Djkovic would play after such a long layoff, but I never expected him to go out in the first round, ala Wawrinak and Thiem, who are returning from even longer layoffs and severe injuries.

Your link shows Novak with 51 UFEs, which could be a tournament's worth for him normally. {Hmmm, ATP scoreboard shows 45, but either is bad.}

I did NOT see this match yet, but his serve stats are dismal.

UPDATE/CORX: Novak only won 55% of his first serves and was broken 9 times on 20 BPs. First time Djokovic has been broken 9 times in a best-of-3 match. Normally he wins around 78% of first serves.

ATP list of ever time Djokovic has been broken 9 times in a match on tour:

Most Times Novak Djokovic was Broken in a Match
              9 vs Alex Davidovich at 2022 Rolex MCMasters
              (Most in Best-of-3-Sets)

9 vs Thiem Domi at 2019 Roland Garros

9 vs Rafael Nadal at 2012 Roland Garros

9 vs Guillermo G Lopez at 2005 Wimbledon

9 vs Marat Safin at 2005 Australian Open
              Last edited by jimlosaltos; 04-12-2022, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Musetti very impressive vs FAA. His beautiful backhand was on, kind of a modern day Gasquet with a much better forehand.

Comment

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VXLdPGCBTCPsqD7c7

Novak's record for the year, four months in, is now 2-2 on court, 1-1 with a deportation in court, and 0-1 in the court of public opinion.

He was also upset in Dubai, there by journeyman Jiř? Vesel?. Once, he's rusty. Twice ??

Comment

Musetti very impressive vs FAA. His beautiful backhand was on, kind of a modern day Gasquet with a much better forehand.
                    Novak was the oddsmakers favorite to win Monte Carlo, Alcaraz was the 2nd favorite. Now Ruud and Tsitsipas are the 2 co-favorites. I wonder how much longer Novak will continue to be the favorite. These Master's 1000's so tough.

Comment

Co-favorite Ruud is out to Grigor. Certainly the 15 year Big 3 reign is over. Fritz is looking like a true contender here.

Comment

Comment

Sinner wins in 3 reigning down too many winners on Rublev. Sinner has that easy effortless power like Fed and Fognini. He certainly does not have the Fognini disposition out there.

Comment

Greetings from Stockton Springs in Maine!

Sinner did well to up his game after losing that first set. I just love the guy's temperament in matches. I liked the look of Fritz too...served well and hits with huge power off the ground. The draw has opened right up and he could even win it from here.

Looking forward to Sinner v Zverev.
                            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                              Greetings from Stockton Springs in Maine!

Sinner did well to up his game after losing that first set. I just love the guy's temperament in matches. I liked the look of Fritz too...served well and hits with huge power off the ground. The draw has opened right up and he could even win it from here.

Looking forward to Sinner v Zverev.
                              Sinner also hit some extremely aggressive returns off Rublev's second serve, as I recall. The way tactics spread on the ATP tour, Kygios' attacks on Rublev's second (Was it in Miami?) might encourage a lot of people to try that against Rublev. I kind of feel sorry for him.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 1441 users online. 4 members and 1437 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X