Wimbledon/a la Laver Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
    Nadal, I believe, just announced he intends to play Wimbledon and the US Open.

I say "believe" because the live, streamed presser from Majorca was in Spanish and my Spanish is woefully inadequate
    Did you think for one moment he wouldn't? Rafa has been declaring he's too injured to carry on since he was 25 years old. There is nothing wrong with his foot and feigning injury midway through the draw of a competition has become a familiar story. I doubt Roger and Novak believe a word of it.
    Last edited by stotty; 06-17-2022, 02:25 PM.
    Stotty

Comment

After this story, I'm trying to imagine Daniil Medvedev as, say, playing for Italy? He and Fognini could pare up in doubles

Telegraph: A Russian tennis player has circumvented Wimbledon’s ban on all competitors from her country by changing her nationality to Georgian before next week’s championships
      A Russian tennis player has circumvented Wimbledon’s ban on all competitors from her country by changing her nationality to Georgian before next week’s champion

"Natela Dzalamidze, a 29-year-old doubles player ranked No 44 in the world, will compete in the women’s doubles with Serbia’s Aleksandra Krunic after the sport’s authorities approved the switch in time for last week’s entry deadline. It is not known when her application was first made but insiders have told The Times that she satisfied the necessary requirements."

"A spokesman for the All England Club insisted today that it had no involvement in Dzalamidze’s change of nationality. The verification process is conducted through the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) and the International Tennis Federation (ITF), with the presentation of a valid passport from Georgia required.

Comment

Odds to win Wimbledon:

Novak strong favorite with an implied probability of winning at 54.5%...#2 tie, Nadal and Berrettini at 12.5% implied probability of winning...4-Alcaraz...5-Hurkacz...6-FAA...7-Cilic...8-Kyrgios

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          Odds to win Wimbledon:

Novak strong favorite with an implied probability of winning at 54.5%...#2 tie, Nadal and Berrettini at 12.5% implied probability of winning...4-Alcaraz...5-Hurkacz...6-FAA...7-Cilic...8-Kyrgios
          Interesting. Top 3 certainly make sense. While I'm a big Alcaraz fan, making him fourth when he has never won an event on grass and has a career recored on turf of 1-1 seems optimistic. Perhaps it is more a statement on lack of faith in the other contenders.

Comment

Interesting. Top 3 certainly make sense. While I'm a big Alcaraz fan, making him fourth when he has never won an event on grass and has a career recored on turf of 1-1 seems optimistic. Perhaps it is more a statement on lack of faith in the other contenders.
            It is an opportunity to me to make a non savvy wager

Comment

I believe I got these right. On seed ...

Mens' Quarters on Draw

1) Djokovic vs Alcaraz (5)
              2) Ruud vs Hurkacz
              3) Berrettini vs Tsitsipas (4)
              4) Auger-Aliassime vs Nadal

Women's Quarters on Draw

1) Swiatek vs Pegula
              2) Pliskova vs Badosa
              3) Collins vs Jabeur
              4) Kontaveit (2) vs Sakkari

Meanwhile, Serena Williams is ranked 1,204th. That is NOT one of my typos. Four digits. She would face Pliskova in R3, Gauff in R4, Badosa in 1/4.

The current rankings plus the blocked players lead to some odd match ups -- and opportunities for bettors, I would suppose.

I doubt we'll see Ruud vs PCB in R16; Pliskova has barely won a match since returning from injury.

None of Rafa, Novak and Alcaraz played a tune up.

Comment

I had not seen this. Carlos Alcaraz had an elbow injury, which caused him to miss the grass court tune-ups, but says he is now fine.

Comment

I had forgotten this. Simona Halep is sort-of-a defending champ.

She won Wimbledon over Serena in 2019, then there was the covid cancellation, then Simona was injured (calf).

So, Simona Halep has had to wait 3 years to defend her title.

Halep, who’s playing here for the first time since winning the title in 2019, opens against two-time Wimbledon quarterfinalist Karolina Muchova.

Comment

I believe I got these right. On seed ...

Mens' Quarters on Draw

1) Djokovic vs Alcaraz (5)
                    2) Ruud vs Hurkacz
                    3) Berrettini vs Tsitsipas (4)
                    4) Auger-Aliassime vs Nadal

Women's Quarters on Draw

1) Swiatek vs Pegula
                    2) Pliskova vs Badosa
                    3) Collins vs Jabeur
                    4) Kontaveit (2) vs Sakkari

Meanwhile, Serena Williams is ranked 1,204th. That is NOT one of my typos. Four digits. She would face Pliskova in R3, Gauff in R4, Badosa in 1/4.

The current rankings plus the blocked players lead to some odd match ups -- and opportunities for bettors, I would suppose.

I doubt we'll see Ruud vs PCB in R16; Pliskova has barely won a match since returning from injury.

None of Rafa, Novak and Alcaraz played a tune up.
                    It will be a big ask for Alcaraz to make the quarters. I am not seeing it at the moment. Fognini is no mug on grass and Alcaraz could face him in round 2.
                    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

It will be a big ask for Alcaraz to make the quarters. I am not seeing it at the moment. Fognini is no mug on grass and Alcaraz could face him in round 2.
                      Yup plus, just read today, Alcaraz had an elbow injury. That's why he skipped the tune-ups. So, now grass tunes up for a guy that has hardly played on the surface. Tough ask, indeed.

Comment

Here's a 1 minute video of Rafa and Berrettini practicing at Wimbledon.
                        Some severe smackage under way <g>.
                        Speaks well for both players' prep coming off mutual surgeries.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2351 users online. 9 members and 2342 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X